Van Damme speaker cable

E

Exeter Man

Has anyone here tried Van Damme speaker cable ?

It is available from www.vdctrading.com at between £1.15/m and £2.02/m depending which type you go for. If it's any good, looks like it might be a good buy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards

The same stuff can be had in large quantities from http://rswww.com It looks like it would do the job ok. Nothing special, but it doesnt appear to have any big bad points.....except for the figure of 8 which i personally dont like.

ad

I've got the 4 x 2.5mm cable from VDC, wrapped in a blue outer sheath, its supposed to be broadcast quality cable and I bought enough to do 7 speaker runs, about 60m in total, including delivery direst from VDC was about £140....great value. Benefits of bi-wiring?? Who knows but the cable sure looks nice and acheives that "looks expensive" factor. It sounds.....much the same as anything else that I've tried.

If you buy direct you can buy the cut length that you require as opposed to 50 or 100metre drums from place like RS or CPC.

except the reel on RS costs only about £90 for 100 meters.......

ad

I use VDC speaker cable and interconnects as do a large number of pro-audio studios mixing the very DVDs we all watch. If it's good enough for them.....

except the reel on RS costs only about £90 for 100 meters.......

Actually the stuff I bought was the 4 * 2.5mm which is £125.44 for 50 metres at RS. If you want 100m its £223.16 and you cannot but lengths inbetween, so either way its cheaper at VDC direct as the price I paid included VAT and delivery and I got the exact amount that I needed.

Originally posted by John Spicer
Actually the stuff I bought was the 4 * 2.5mm which is £125.44 for 50 metres at RS. If you want 100m its £223.16 and you cannot but lengths inbetween, so either way its cheaper at VDC direct as the price I paid included VAT and delivery and I got the exact amount that I needed.

fair point. I didnt notice the cables dramatically increased in price down my little list!

Dubbing mixer:

what VDC do you use for interconnects? I couldnt find any that suited.

ad

Thanks for the comments guys, it sounds like it's well worth a try, so I will go for either the 2x2.5mm2 or 2x4.0mm2.

buns,

I was thinking about making some interconnects myself using the Van Damme interconnect cable from www.vdctrading.com

I haven't figured out how to provide a link to a particular page of a website yet, but you will find it if you select 'Cable' then 'Van Damme audio cable range' then 'Hi-fi speaker and interconnect cable'. There it is, right next to the speaker cable we have been discussing.

Regards

Buns,

I use 211-311 foil screen for fixed wiring, Green Series for multi-channel Digital, Blue series for multi-channel analogue and 286 series mic cable for interconnects.

I also use Studiospares OFC 'Europa' simply because it's half the price. Sonically I can't hear the difference (nor would I expect to) but the Van Damme is better quality IMHO

None of these are particularly small, but then a lot of 'premium' interconnects aren't either.

Ah right..... makes sense now. I have heard that the mic cable is quite good. I was going to go that sort of route but opted for a more screened cable..... ala IBM token.

ad

IBM Token? Network Cable? With that sort of bandwidth should be fine!

I use 75 ohm video cable for S/PDIF and it works a treat(Studiospares) . I usually use 110 ohm for AES/EBU but, to be honest, I don't think you'd get a problem unless you were getting near the distance limits.

Originally posted by Dubbing Mixer
IBM Token? Network Cable? With that sort of bandwidth should be fine!

I use 75 ohm video cable for S/PDIF and it works a treat(Studiospares) . I usually use 110 ohm for AES/EBU but, to be honest, I don't think you'd get a problem unless you were getting near the distance limits.

yup, thats the one. It is one of tnt's cables..... i would have gone for the x-cables but i need longish runs. I'll b posting results hoefully within a weeks time.

I havent got to the point of video cable....... thats going to be waiting until next year! First stop, interconnects, then speaker cable, then mains cables..........then video! Oh i love DIY!!! :D

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom