Van Damme Cables

Helix Hifi

Hey! I’m looking for cheap durable cables for my hifi system. But the problem is that I can’t find the blue speaker cables from Van Damme, and matching RCA-cables. I can only find the studio cables from their company. I want standard speaker cables (no biwire) 4 mm banana plugs, and standard RCA-plugs. Here in Norway there is a shop called “Gear Music”, but there is no mention of the cables I want. The minimum gauge for the speaker cables should be between 14-12 AVG. I know this topic has been discussed before. Still I need some help.

acgingersnaps

Hi. I use these guys for my terminated Van Damme speaker cables. I went with the hifi, because it looks better to me and is only marginally more money. You can see my speaker cables. Not sure they do a blue RCA, but you could always ask.

Upvote 0

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Hi. I use these guys for my terminated Van Damme speaker cables. I went with the hifi, because it looks better to me and is only marginally more money. You can see my speaker cables. Not sure they do a blue RCA, but you could always ask.

Same company I use. If it exists in the Van Damme catalogue, Mark will find it and offer it. Decent prices too.

Upvote 0

larkone

OFC Copper is OFC Copper regardless of whose name is on the insulation so do not get hung up on who made it, it just has to be of the right cross section for the length and impedance.

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

OFC Copper is OFC Copper regardless of whose name is on the insulation so do not get hung up on who made it, it just has to be of the right cross section for the length and impedance.
I appreciate your opinion, it’s just that I want something shiny to look at😀😉. But I agree there should not be any sound difference, if there is it is probably because one cable is 16avg, the other 14avg. Up to one year ago I was a firm believer in cables. I swear I did hear some differences back in the day. But now on my new amp, there is absolutely no difference! So go figure. Since I live in Norway, I guess it may take some time to order some cables from the uk. I spotted some cables online here in Norway. Dynavoice they are called. 14 AVG, probably should be fine. And they have beautiful red color! And my speakers are 6 ohm, probably dip to 4 ohm at loud playing.

Upvote 0

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
You could look at our Fisual cable to if you want a capable speaker which carries a budget price point without sacrificing ability. Something I'm sure many end users will vouch for :smashin:

Upvote 0

DT79

Hey! I’m looking for cheap durable cables for my hifi system. But the problem is that I can’t find the blue speaker cables from Van Damme, and matching RCA-cables. I can only find the studio cables from their company. I want standard speaker cables (no biwire) 4 mm banana plugs, and standard RCA-plugs. Here in Norway there is a shop called “Gear Music”, but there is no mention of the cables I want. The minimum gauge for the speaker cables should be between 14-12 AVG. I know this topic has been discussed before. Still I need some help.
I got my VD speaker cables from a seller on ebay. I ordered the lengths I wanted, pre-terminated.

Here's an example, but lots of similar ones on there

I get my interconnects made to order with VD cable here now:

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

If I want 14 AVG, 10, AVG, or even lower then that, what dimensions should I look at? It seems the Mark Grant cable is 7 AVG!? 6 MM!

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

Edit, I managed to find it out online 2mm-16 gauge-4mm-14gauge-6mm-10gauge. Even though it may not be any sound difference, it may be good to chose 10 gauge. Thanks everyone. Maybe I’ll chose the cables mentioned. Oh, by the way does the banana plugs give a firm grip. Now I’m not thinking about Chord Cables banana plugs, QED banana plugs,which are impossible to use! It is impossible to get them out the amplifier terminals without damaging the terminals!

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

You could look at our Fisual cable to if you want a capable speaker which carries a budget price point without sacrificing ability. Something I'm sure many end users will vouch for :smashin:
Thanks. I’m wondering if 2.5 mm is around 15/16 AVG? And 4 mm is around 13/14 AVG? My speakers are 6 ohm ( Dali Oberon 5). I know depending on cable length, if the speakers are rated 4 ohm then perhaps you need 4 mm. But that usually mean you need around 15 meters to each speakers. If you stay well below that I doubt you’ll notice any difference in sound quality. What would you chose: 2.5 mm, 4 mm?

Upvote 0

larkone

Thanks. I’m wondering if 2.5 mm is around 15/16 AVG? And 4 mm is around 13/14 AVG? My speakers are 6 ohm ( Dali Oberon 5). I know depending on cable length, if the speakers are rated 4 ohm then perhaps you need 4 mm. But that usually mean you need around 15 meters to each speakers. If you stay well below that I doubt you’ll notice any difference in sound quality. What would you chose: 2.5 mm, 4 mm?
Rather than guessing try this

Upvote 0

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
2.5mm should be fine for your needs :smashin:

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

New speaker cables arrived! Standard white 2,5 mm cables. 2.7 meters to each speaker. Amazing sound! No difference between my fancy Van Den Hul CS122 Hybrid speaker cables. VDH claims that their “carbon fiber” cables we’ll give a more neutral airer sound against cheap speaker cables. Warm sound is a term used online by them one swear to VDH cables. And the CS122 cables are 12 AVG, the white ones are 14 AVG, or 16 AVG. I do believe however 2.5mm is 14 AVG though. Terminated the cables my self. Took about 25 mins to get them perfect. It is important that the copper doesn’t oxidation, so I made sure the copper wires are sealed in the banana plugs. No soldering, just two screw plugs that makes the cables stay put in the banana plugs. Cheap invest. And the banana plugs are of very good quality also. Well finally seen the light. Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

Daniel 70

2.5 mm is good enough then. Probably 1.5 mm also. But I prefer to use 2.5 mm.
2.5mmsq is the sweet spot. For thinner cable ,it is the plastic insulation which is more and more of the cost and for thicker that 2.5, the amount of copper mounts up as the square of the radius. So while lower resistance, and thicker copper is always good, it become of decreasing importance.

Upvote 0

Helix Hifi

Yes, very good cables. They look a bit like the Fisual cables. Same color, just different design. My plan was to buy either Van Damme, Mark Grant Cables but I bet this are just as good. Very cheap investment compared to my old VDH cables. I can’t hear any difference between the new ones and the VDH cables.

Upvote 0

Julian Stevens

Van Damme cables & interconnects (both analogue & digital) aren't just excellent VFM, they're excellent period. I've tried many others and Van Dammes are the best (for my Wadia/Bryston/PMC system). Their 110 Ohm balanced digital i/c is the best of all those I've tried (about a dozen others).

It's shame they don't do a pure mains power cord, so for now I'll stick with my expensive Abbey Road/Studio Connections ones (having replaced their crappy female IEC terminations with some much better and very reasonably priced rhodium plated WattGate style ones from China).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

andycc72

All my cables and interconnects are Van Damme, great value for money.

TBH I never noticed any sound difference when I swapped the supplied interconnects with VD but they all match now ;)

Upvote 0

3rdignis

My previous cables sounded shrill
Qed genesis silver spiral 25cm 10awg £80

New cables sound excellent
Van dam blue 4mm 25cm £2.74

Maybe something to do with the (silver) construction/length?

Upvote 0

Julian Stevens

Shrillness or a certain lack of body in the midrange are commonly noted negative aspects of silver cables. I use Kimber KCAG (silver) balanced i/c's between my crossover and the amplifier driving my passive sub's because they're quick and clean in the lower registers, but not for higher frequencies. Silver plated copper doesn't solve the problem either due to the effects of the interface between two different metals. Stick with high purity copper.

Upvote 0

Julian Stevens

Shrillness or a certain lack of body in the midrange are commonly noted negative aspects of silver cables. I use Kimber KCAG (silver) balanced i/c's between my crossover and the amplifier driving my passive sub's because they're quick and clean in the lower registers, but not for higher frequencies. Silver plated copper doesn't solve the problem either due to the effects of the interface between two different metals. Stick with high purity copper.

With balanced cables, length doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom