1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Van Damme Black vs. Cat 5 Speaker Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rowlandhills, Jun 5, 2005.

1. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just finished comparing Van Damme Black 4x2.5mm cables with the Cat5 braided cables I've previously been using. Overall I found that the Van Damme cables gave a richer yet more detailed sound, with slightly more bass extension and yet also more information in the treble.

To be fair, this may have been because I was only using one Cat5 cable for the treble (and two for the bass) but even that Cat5 configuration had been a lot better than my previous QED Qunex cable.

Overall, the VD Black cable is definately staying. Many thanks to Joe for the 6m sample, and given the price of it, I'll be ordering about 70m more from TMF in a couple of months time when I move house and want to prewire the place...

It has a handy side effect of much improved WAF too! :clap:

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    where you using the 3 cables braided version of the cat 5? I replaced my QED SA with 2 braded cat 6 as I felt the cat 6 was better :D

3. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Yes, I was only using the 3 way (1 for treble, 2 for bass). The six-way might have been a better comparison, but either way the VD Black is very impressive.

Part of the reason for the VD Black being more suitable is that I'm moving a new house, where I'll be running cable in the walls. As I also want to buy new speakers which will be quad amped, I'm going to need a heck of a lot of cable, and I really don't think I can be bothered to braid it all!

4. Ingo Bingo

Ingo Bingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have used silver anni 2 core & Van Damme 4 x 2.5, now using Van Damme black 4 x 4 mm far, far superior in my opinion

Ingo