Quantcast

Vampire Circus Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 2nd January 2011.
An absolute classic, folks. Vampire Circus is a real gem. Of course, we all cherish the earlier productions – the initial Frankensteins and Draculas, The Mummy, The Curse Of The Werewolf, The Abominable Snowman and the Quatermass outings – but this groundbreaking 1971 offering was possibly the most disturbing and controversial of the lot. It was a cause celebre at the flicks upon its initial release, and it remained a hush-hush, wink-wink taboo delight after its airing on late-night television for horror-hungry friends and fiends in the school yard. Hammer had always wanted to challenge the sensibilities, but even good old Kensington Gore had become tired and run-on-the-mill. The seventies would see the studio briefly flirt with the very things that had made their name such an icon before their fire would be extinguished and consigned to the nostalgic vault of yesteryear. With this and Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, The Hands Of The Ripper and The Karnstein Trilogy, they would bravely re-map their own boundaries … although it would inevitably prove to be a tactic too late.

But Vampire Circus remains a high-water mark for the latter days of the Studio That Dripped Blood. It is wonderful to see the film again, and in such quality as this. Fine extras make this an easily cherished addition to any fan's collection. So those murky and ill-framed old versions can now be justifiably flung out and proudly replaced with Synapse's excellent Blu-ray edition. We get some genuinely interesting and knowledgeable facts and trivia brought to us in the terrific making-of. There's fun to be had with the motion comic-book version. We can get a potted history of horror's garish sub-genre of carnival terrors, and then there's that great look at the celebrated Hammer Horror magazine. All well worth the effort. If they can supply such material for this, just imagine what could come our way when titles from the studio's Golden Age burst on to Blu-ray!

It is has been simply awesome to revisit Hammer's most avant-garde, fantastical and disturbing vampire film, and I'm certain that old admirers and new fans will enjoy discovering it on Blu-ray, where that over-the-top visual sensibility can be showcased at its best for the home video market.

Decadent. Absurd. Wonderful.

Vampire Circus is back in town. Go and sample its dark and demented delights.

Read the full review...

moedeeb

It is fantastic to read such a detailed and comprehensive review of a film that I only vaguely remember from late night bbc2 in the early 80's. I will buy this film on the strength of the review alone. Thanks for taking so much time and obvious effort in research to provide so much insight. Mark gatis has nothing on your hammer fanboy credentials.

Chris McEneany

It is fantastic to read such a detailed and comprehensive review of a film that I only vaguely remember from late night bbc2 in the early 80's. I will buy this film on the strength of the review alone. Thanks for taking so much time and obvious effort in research to provide so much insight. Mark gatis has nothing on your hammer fanboy credentials.
Really pleased you enjoyed the review. :smashin: Vampire Circus is great and wicked fun, and I think you will be surprised how well it still stands up today.

Thanks for your comments ... and let's pray for more Hammer soon!!!

Cheers

Chris McEneany :devil:

Top Bottom