Valve's Super BIG Secret at E3

TheForge

Established Member
Reaction score
There are alot of rumors kicking about on what Valves big announcement will be at E3 so I thought we might have a thread of possible suggestions.

I cant imagine Valve making such a big fuss over a single new game release so my personal guess is this.

Valve will release a new Source Engine that takes advantage of the latests PC hardware, All Source 1 engine games will work with the new engine adding many new features and graphical effects etc....

The hint was a quote suggestign that the big annoucement would appeal to PC gamers not consoles.

The Forge

Last edited:
How about episode 3. that been WIP for ages now and should see the light of day soon surely. I wouldn't mind a re-imagining of counter strike too. I long for a skillfull shooter where your aim and team work win through rather than using perks and exploits to win.

How about a half life MMOrpg :eek:

I believe that Valve have stated that it wont be HL3, Ep:3 or Portal 2.

I doubt its anything we have heard of before or that its a New Game as its PC only and a new game would also be ported to the PS3/360 to make the big $$$.

They also only mentioned PC and did not include the Mac which has just had a large number of Steam games ported to it so a new game would most likely be PC/Mac.

The Forge
Waiting for Left Half Dead, a Half Life/ Left 4 Dead cross over game!

Already discussing this in the Portal 2 thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/pc-gaming/1211186-portal-2-a.html

Where have you guys got your information from? I've not read that it's a PC only surprise? Plus even if it was, that wouldn't mean it's Source v2 because xbox Valve games still use Source. Valve have always said source will be incrementally updated, so doubt it'll be Source v2 anyway.

Second, HL3 have never ever been rumoured, confirmed, hinted at, nothing. The only HL3 news was a couple of fake concept photos 2 or so years ago. Not sure why Valve would say it's not HL3, when they have only ever talked about Episode 3.

Gabe has indeed said it's not Episode 3, so that's right.

As for not being Portal 2, that's definately wrong, because Valve have issued a press statement saying it's a Portal 2 related surprise, see the thread above for info.

If you want up to date info regarding Valve, I enjoy reading HL Fallout, quite a good website. A few people there think it's a Portal 2 demo, as it cant be anything major because Gabe isn't there, only Doug Lombardi in the private Portal 2 booth.

Valve cancelled the Portal 2 event at E3 and replaced it with a Surprise!

Seeing as there has been so much coverage of Portal 2 I cant see how they can cancel a known event then bring it back under the guise of a Surprise!

Portal 2 is mostly complete, the only reason I can see for its delay is that it is going to be ported to the Source 2 engine.

As a game engine needs a game to show off its new power, I could see a Portal 2 demo running on the new engine at E3.

The Forge

I'm leaning towards a new engine too.
Or maybe some significant modular upgrades to the original.

Ep3 is expected 1 month after Duke Nukem Forever, Portal has a
lready had extensive coverage, and Gabe has already said that HL3 was ep 1, 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Valve cancelled the Portal 2 event at E3 and replaced it with a Surprise!

Seeing as there has been so much coverage of Portal 2 I cant see how they can cancel a known event then bring it back under the guise of a Surprise!

Portal 2 is mostly complete, the only reason I can see for its delay is that it is going to be ported to the Source 2 engine.

As a game engine needs a game to show off its new power, I could see a Portal 2 demo running on the new engine at E3.

The Forge

But the original event was to demonstrate Portal 2. Now they are demonstrating it privately to journalists who book a spot with Doug Lombardi instead of in a conference, they've already said that. And in place of the public presentation, is a Portal 2 related surprise. Gabe isn't going to be there either. So there is no public presentation/event, there's just going to be an announcement related to Portal 2 that'll likely just come from a press release.

I'm leaning towards a new engine too.
Or maybe some significant modular upgrades to the original.

Ep3 is expected 1 month after Duke Nukem Forever, Portal has a
lready had extensive coverage, and Gabe has already said that HL3 was ep 1, 2 and 3.

There's already been significant upgrades for Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 though, and they have recently released a widespread update that improved Half Life 2 and Episode 1, so they include some of the HDR lighting effects from Episode 2.

I think that was more of a passing comment from Gabe about HL3. He said about Episode 3 that it'll end the current story arc of the combine, started in Half Life 2, so I'd imagine that implies there's going to be a new full game at some point that'll continue the story, as Ep3 just ends the combine part of the story. The episodes are still named HL2: Ep1, 2, 3, so it would seem a bit daft for the next game to be called Half Life 4. I wouldn't read too much into that comment, it was a couple of years ago now too.

Last edited:
I assume you are refering to this....

'To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact...'

The surprise is a Portal 2 "Themed" surprise to me means its a supprise that uses Portal 2 as part of it not that its Portal 2 the game it self.

Hence my previous statement that I believe the suprise is a New Engine and that it is using Portal 2 to show off the technology.

There is also this quote "Also, the game will be even better," when they talk about the delay for 2011.

The best way to make a sequal much better is to make it using a new engine, which would also explains why they have suddenly delayed what most people believe is a compete game for another year!

The final point is that Portal 2 will be released for the PC and Console, so why would they point out that this Suprise is directed at PC Gamers when anything to do with Portal 2 would be of great interest to console users too!

It's since been reported that a '360 and PS3 journalist' has been told by Valve that the 'surprise' at E3 won't be of great interest to them.

The difference between PC and Console gamers is Steam and the Source engine that most of valves games are based on.

Then again, valve might just be full of S#*t and done all this to drum up interest for E3 and there really is no supprise as we already know alot about Portal 2.

The Forge

But what I'm saying is there is no presentation/event, they have cancelled it. The only thing they are physically showing is Portal 2 privately, which people have to arrange an appointment with Lombardi to see. The surprise is going to be them just announcing something. I cant see how it would be Source 2, because this would need them to show things off, which they aint doing.

Where's that 360/PS3 jounalist quote from? Just wondering, not having a go at you or anything, as it seems odd why PS3 would be mentioned as Valve are not continuing dev for PS3, Gabe hates the platform. The last release was Orange box, L4D 1 and 2 didn't come out and they've said it's unlikely future releases will either.

Regardless of that though, even if it was a PC only surprise, I dont think Steam and Source can be linked at all. Steam is just a digital game delivery platform for many different publishers for PC and Mac, Source is a game engine for Valve games for all platforms, be they 360, PS3, Mac or PC. It would seem a bit counter productive if the PC version of Portal 2 used Source 2 and 360 used Source 1, they would have to develop every future game for 2 different engines, which seems a waste of resources.

As for the game being even better, they said the same with Half Life 2 when the code was leaked, same with Episode 2. They released media for both games and the final versions didn't resemble anything like what they had previously showed. I suspect it's just another case of "Valve Time" where they want to fine tune the game, like most of their other games, nothing more.

Last edited:
Waits for the internet implosion when they announce Left 4 Dead 3.

Valve games for linux. (Via steam ofc)

Perhaps.

I know a few guys that would be happy with that.

Only other games big enough would be half life: redux and tf3

Well, Counter Strike has been in a new engine closed beta so I bet it is something to do with that.

New engine and updated Counter Strike and TF2. That's what my money is on.

Either that or they have fixed VAC to catch the hackers in Call of Duty MW2 :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

ohh, could be the release of Black Mesa Source, the mod project converting HL to Source properly?. Perhaps it wasnt released beginning of this year due to Valve picking up for a commercial release? (or possibly even a freebie release....)

I would have thought CS release would have been held until a major game release so they could box it up and claim the sales figures.....but, ya never know....

Maybe Portal 2 is being delayed to box it with HL2:EP3 and CS:whatever plus possible BM:S?....

that would be a rather tasty box set, one I'm willing to hang around till next year for.....if its not, then I'm off to join the lemmings...lol

Portal 2 on PS3. That's it.

I wish people would have read what Valve actually said and not got hyped up about there being a conference/event about CS2/Source 2/HL3/Ep3.

Is that really it? Or are you guessing from the fluffy pre-message message?

Valve had stated numerous times that they would never develop for the Playstation so it kinda is big news... just I don't care about it.

Excellent I will be able to play valve games on my lean mean grilling machine in low res with 5 year old visuals. :rotfl:

I was really hoping for a new engine and a new half life, both of which are long overdue now.

Nope, not guessing, Gabe was at Sony's presser at E3 yesterday. Apparently dev tools for PS3 have become a lot better since he slated it 4 years ago, so they are going for it now. Some Steam features are going to PS3 as well like Steam Cloud, Friends, Updates, etc.

Aye, it is quite big news, but the reason I said "that's it" is because of all the people expecting it to be something like Source 2, Half Life 3, etc, when Valve already said it wasn't going to be.

YouTube - E3 2010 - Portal 2 with Gabe Newell

Last edited:
This is very bad news....it means the Board of Directors over at Valve are making them turn to console production as priority over PC production.....which means the possiblity that future Valve games will be made on a PC for console and then badly ported back to PC :(

I guess it was only a matter of time....

edit: ps, ignore any previous statements by valve about PC being their home etc, fact: when money men become involved, you do what they say, not what you want.

This is very bad news....it means the Board of Directors over at Valve are making them turn to console production as priority over PC production.....which means the possiblity that future Valve games will be made on a PC for console and then badly ported back to PC :(

I guess it was only a matter of time....

edit: ps, ignore any previous statements by valve about PC being their home etc, fact: when money men become involved, you do what they say, not what you want.

The Passing add on for L4D2 was free on PC and chargable on xbox, plus they have recently updated HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 to include HDR lighting and other graphics improvements. Personally I don't think they are about to abandon their PC roots just yet, their customer base is too big, look how popular Steam is.

The Passing add on for L4D2 was free on PC and chargable on xbox, plus they have recently updated HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 to include HDR lighting and other graphics improvements. Personally I don't think they are about to abandon their PC roots just yet, their customer base is too big, look how popular Steam is.

I agree, don't see what all the fuss is about.

No this is not giving up on PC, this is just SONY letting them launch Steam on PS3.......

I hope it signals an end to the current monopoly of online games delivery on the consoles.

I like the way that Gabe Newell has completely changed tune, they let him have some of the online console pie and he is eating his hat :p

No this is not giving up on PC, this is just SONY letting them launch Steam on PS3.......

I hope it signals an end to the current monopoly of online games delivery on the consoles.

I like the way that Gabe Newell has completely changed tune, they let him have some of the online console pie and he is eating his hat :p

so can pc users finaly play againts ps3 users?

so can pc users finaly play againts ps3 users?

Doubt it, Gabe mentioned some Steam features like cloud, auto updates, friends, etc. It wouldn't be particularly fair anyway having a Mouse/Keyboard vs Pad.

I dunno if people can play against each other, it is a possibility.

I did read tho, that you would be able to use save files, so if you had the game on both systems then there is the ability to load the save file from the Steam Cloud onto either system (assuming the game supports it I guess)..... that is pretty cool :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom