Valve... Repairs out of warranty...

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Given the Index headset and controllers had A LOT of issues at launch, this is surprising and for me, fairly shocking. I just had a given Valve would be pretty god damn accomdating given the ammount of faulty hardware they shipped.

Definitely now thinking to go G2 + Index controller rather than wait for Index 2.0...

That isn't even legal in this country AFAIK. 2 year warranty minimum (at least for now)

Edit just noticed the $. So not a UK purchase then

That's weird. One of my American mates got his left controller RMAd two weeks ago for a broken trigger and he's outside the warranty period.

Not good to hear. I hate it when companies become like soulless robots as soon as your warranty is gone. But I think we sometimes forget that just because they make games or make things for games, they are NOT our friends, they`re a business. And that means they can suddenly become very cold once they`ve got your cash and the warranty runs out.

I`m considering getting an extended warranty on the G2 just in case of something like this. I didn`t spend as much for an Index, but just over £600 isn`t to be sneezed at.

Not good to hear. I hate it when companies become like soulless robots as soon as your warranty is gone. But I think we sometimes forget that just because they make games or make things for games, they are NOT our friends, they`re a business. And that means they can suddenly become very cold once they`ve got your cash and the warranty runs out.

I`m considering getting an extended warranty on the G2 just in case of something like this. I didn`t spend as much for an Index, but just over £600 isn`t to be sneezed at.

I thought there would be an exception given the Valve Index at launch at a mutltidue of hardware issues, which valve failed to admit and tried to silently fix (joystick click issues, vertical lines requring column correction setting etc.)

That's weird. One of my American mates got his left controller RMAd two weeks ago for a broken trigger and he's outside the warranty period.
Hello?

valve have done great job compared to HTCs piss poor customer service response and a lot better than the 7 tickets I had for the CV1 headphone problem.

Hello?

valve have done great job compared to HTCs piss poor customer service response and a lot better than the 7 tickets I had for the CV1 headphone problem.

I was going to mention HTC. I did have a CV1 for a brief time. I never had a faulty problem with them, but I did contact them to make an enquiry and their brusque attitude certainly didn`t win them any favours with me. It`s the little things that can make all the difference sometimes.

@Atmos so Valve has now has worst customer service AND worst resolution of any VR headset on market? wtf man 😂 😂 😂

@thesnowdog Oculus home run

@Atmos so Valve has now has worst customer service AND worst resolution of any VR headset on market? wtf man 😂 😂 😂

@thesnowdog Oculus home run

I got my second set of controllers pronto so Kudos to Valve. Can't speak for anyone else though.

And I don't think it's fair to compare a 2019 HMD to a 2020 HMD for resolution. "If" Index2 comes next year it will put Valve back on top with regards to PPD while Quest2 will be stuck with the XR2 chip for 2-3 years and nowhere to run. PCVR will have a massive uplift due to AMD and Nvidias new cards.

I got my second set of controllers pronto so Kudos to Valve. Can't speak for anyone else though.

And I don't think it's fair to compare a 2019 HMD to a 2020 HMD for resolution. "If" Index2 comes next year it will put Valve back on top with regards to PPD while Quest2 will be stuck with the XR2 chip for 2-3 years and nowhere to run. PCVR will have a massive uplift due to AMD and Nvidias new cards.

I think its fair to compare when they all cost around the same price ;)

If we're gonna say its old outdated tech, then surely it deserves an old outdated price ;)

I think its fair to compare when they all cost around the same price ;)

If we're gonna say its old outdated tech, then surely it deserves an old outdated price ;)

Index? For sure but they still sell well and Valve are not in a race to the bottom. My own opinion - Index will get a sale in late January once the 30 not return policy runs out and then Valve will announce Index 2 in April with a release date in June. Call it wishfull thinking for now.

Index? For sure but they still sell well and Valve are not in a race to the bottom. My own opinion - Index will get a sale in late January once the 30 not return policy runs out and then Valve will announce Index 2 in April with a release date in June. Call it wishfull thinking for now.
So that’s about 6 months of index being the worst VR headset on the market resolution wise :(

So that’s about 6 months of index being the worst VR headset on the market resolution wise :(
But then we will be comparing a 2021 HMD to a 2020 HMD :thumbsdow

But then we will be comparing a 2021 HMD to a 2020 HMD :thumbsdow

Exactly. So Quest 3 could trump Index 2 in 2022 right? Questions for 2022 will be will Qualcomm have a new SoC ready? Will the XR3 be 50-100% faster than the XR2 to allow the reduction and FoV to catch up? I doubt it. Will any other manufacturer have a XR3 headset lined up? Will Quest2 be banned in more countries by 2022?

Last edited:
Exactly. So Quest 3 could trump Index 2 in 2022 right? Questions for 2022 will be will Qualcomm have a new SoC ready? Will the XR3 be 50-100% faster than the XR3 to allow the reduction and FoV to catch up? I doubt it. Will any other manufacturer have a XR3 headset lined up? Will Quest2 be banned in more countries by 2022?

But you're ignoring the relevant price points of the different VR packages.

Sure Q3 can trump the Index 2, but it'll do it, once again at a substantially lower price.

But you're ignoring the relevant price points of the different VR packages.

Sure Q3 can trump the Index 2, but it'll do it, once again at a substantially lower price.

We both know Valve aren’t competing with Quest. Index competes with....erm Index. Index competes with high FOV and precision tracking at a reasonable price. No other headset beats it on all 3 counts. The divergence between PCVR and stand-alones will become more apparent in 2021 I think.

The same as quest will be competing against the quest. A stand-alone device with great visuals, great support at a great price.
Who is the G2 competing against? It’s neither cheapest or best (except visuals), but best mid range.
I guess there is a place for all HMD’s

Last edited:
The same as quest will be competing against the quest. A stand-alone device with great visuals, great support at a great price.
Who is the G2 competing against? It’s neither cheapest or best, but best mid range.
The G2 ticks almost all of my boxes- The price is competitive and just in my reach- The resolution is excellent (and the key factor) and I`m not forced onto facebook. And I would`ve gone for the Index if the G2 did not exist, though it`s expensive.

Capitalism is great, because they`ll always be someone, somewhere who`ll see a gap in the Market for people who are just different. Just like with GOG which saw a gap where not everyone wanted to held on by a DRM just to game, and that platform`s exploded now.

Who is the G2 competing against? It’s neither cheapest or best (except visuals), but best mid range.

But the lines got blurred when the Quest 2 resolution jumped ahead of the Indexes. You have a stand-alone tailored to the XR2 and singular FOV and resolution. PCVR in 2021 gets their jump with the 3080 and 6800XT with more AAA console port from the PS5 and SeriesX.

My point is Oculus have blown there wad with the Quest2 and XR2 for the next 2 years. PCVR is still putting all the pieces together. We have StarVR with great optics ultra wide FOV at a high cost. Pimax has poor optics but 4k per eye. Where will Index 2 sit? 140FOV with perfect optics and native SteamVR support? At a reasonable price? That’s my guess. Then that 6 month old Quest will look like what it is. A cheap mass market VR device.

Exactly. So Quest 3 could trump Index 2 in 2022 right? Questions for 2022 will be will Qualcomm have a new SoC ready? Will the XR3 be 50-100% faster than the XR2 to allow the reduction and FoV to catch up? I doubt it. Will any other manufacturer have a XR3 headset lined up? Will Quest2 be banned in more countries by 2022?

The Quest 2 isn't banned anywhere. Oculus decided not to sell it in Germany BEFORE it got banned.

You can still import it from outside Germany and it'll get through Customs without a problem.

The Quest 2 isn't banned anywhere. Oculus decided not to sell it in Germany BEFORE it got banned.
Oh come on. You mean they sacked themselves before they were sacked? That`s sophistry.

But the lines got blurred when the Quest 2 resolution jumped ahead of the Indexes. You have a stand-alone tailored to the XR2 and singular FOV and resolution. PCVR in 2021 gets their jump with the 3080 and 6800XT with more AAA console port from the PS5 and SeriesX.

My point is Oculus have blown there wad with the Quest2 and XR2 for the next 2 years. PCVR is still putting all the pieces together. We have StarVR with great optics ultra wide FOV at a high cost. Pimax has poor optics but 4k per eye. Where will Index 2 sit? 140FOV with perfect optics and native SteamVR support? At a reasonable price? That’s my guess. Then that 6 month old Quest will look like what it is. A cheap mass market VR device.

The Index 2 will sit in the same place that the Index is sitting right now, but current Index owners will now only need to buy the Index 2 headset because they'll already own the base stations and controllers. The problem that Valve have had with the Index and will continue to have with the Index 2 is convincing people that DON'T already own an HTC or Valve headset to buy in at a premium price.

And you're also making a pretty big assumption that it's going to beat the G2 in terms of resolution.

Personally I don't think they'll release the Index 2 next year, they'll release it in 2022.

If they had any sort of sense they would up production of the first Index and have the likes of Amazon, Best Buy etc selling the thing.

Oh come on. You mean they sacked themselves before they were sacked? That`s sophistry.

It's a fact. Germans can still use a Quest 2 in both Germany and China too, but they need a VPN to use one in China. There was someone on Reddit a few weeks ago that did this.

They're not banned in China either, but the use of Facebook and Steam is banned.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom