Valve index VR headset

Luckys Tale was advertised as a free item for people who purchased a CV1 or later a RiftS. I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe they will officially open the store to other HMDs and not want to cheapen the deal to those that did buy Oculus hardware. Does it matter really?

Anyway -what's the verdict on the latest batch of index controllers? I`m seeing a few less rants on Reddit of late.

Lucky's Tale being removed is not a big deal. It was a cock up making it free to everyone, not just Revive users but also DK2 users, which they've now corrected. Its just surprising they left it a couple of years to correct it and understandably disappointing for those who thought they 'owned' it.

Still, I doubt I'm the only one that non-begrudgingly bought it after it was taken away and am happy to support Playful... even though they abandoned VR and went Xbox exclusive :(

It wasn't really 'stealing'. Oculus went and made it free to everyone.

Anyway -what's the verdict on the latest batch of index controllers? I`m seeing a few less rants on Reddit of late.
This I’d like to know too - is it safe yet?

I have an Oculus account like everyone else. How am I stealing for not owning their headset?

Anyway if I get a Quest for the Kids they can play it free.

I just completed Vader Immortal EP2. A lot shorter than EP1 I must say. Felt like I was playing for about 10-15 mins as oppose to 30+mins for EP1. Just far too short when it has limited replay value.

Using the force with Knuckles felt good. Just reach out and grab, then throw. Niiice....
Was just pulling your chain. If oculus don't lock their rift freebies then that is on them, I would do the same. That said I would hope even you would not have issue with them if they chose to put right there error!

My replacements are perfect in every way. Yes its safe. Buy, buy, buy!!! lol
Ordered! Time to see what all the fuss is about :D

I've recently upgrade from a Vive to a Index, primarily for racing games. I was a bit worried it would be a waste of money for a minor upgrade, but phorrr, it is a substantial improvement. 120hz is so much smoother and it's so clear! Would highly recommend.

I've recently upgrade from a Vive to a Index, primarily for racing games. I was a bit worried it would be a waste of money for a minor upgrade, but phorrr, it is a substantial improvement. 120hz is so much smoother and it's so clear! Would highly recommend.

Totally agree.

I’m a big Fresnel lens hater so the Index is a complete turn around from the rings of the OG Vive.

decided to do the same as well. Was looking at the vive pro as i have a vive but looking at some reviews online (especially linus) decided to go for the index. I can keep my base stations so extra outlay not too bad. Just need to decide whether i get the knuckles now as well.

decided to do the same as well. Was looking at the vive pro as i have a vive but looking at some reviews online (especially linus) decided to go for the index. I can keep my base stations so extra outlay not too bad. Just need to decide whether i get the knuckles now as well.

Yes get the Knuckles you won’t regret it.

You might if you get duff ones, which are still turning up!
Mine are supposed to turn up this afternoon. We'll know soon enough!

Well, they’ve arrived! And the thumbstick does click in all directions, but not convincingly. Good enough I think though. Will give them a workout later when time allows!

Just been trying Revive for the first time with my Index and it all seems to be working very well. The Knuckles joystick and buttons are pretty close to how the Touch controllers look and you really don't need any thought translating the button prompts from the Touch to the Index. Even the TurnSignal works.

Unfortunately Lucky's Tale has disappeared from my Oculus library. I'd had it free from before so I wasn't too upset about spending a tenner on it, its wonderful. Fully playable with the Knuckles and looks beautiful at Index resolution. Not sure whether I was getting the best of the Index's fps or not though.

Gave Vader Immortal a very quick try and it appears to be working fine. Even the limited finger tracking of the Touch is emulated by the Knuckles, so I could extend my index finger to point and open and close my hand without using buttons. Looking forward to giving this some more time soon.

How is the index with games like defector? Is there a compatibility list for the index?

I’m contemplating selling my rift s and getting the index if the oculus link ends up giving me 97% of the experience of the rift s as I like the idea playing with the index controllers.

The only thing holding me back is the fact all the upcoming games I want to play are oculus exclusives and I’d hate technical issues when I’ve paid more money.

An old video but MRTV seems to like it.

@aoaaron haven't tried Defector.

Where I have tried the Index with Revive it works very well. I used to be able to find all functionality of the Touch controllers emulated somehow by the Vive wands. Now, the Knuckles are a lot closer to the Touch controllers than the wands were so even prompts are instinctive and no thought required.

There are a few compatibility lists out there, here's one from the Revive GitHub: LibreVR/Revive. It claims Defector is working.

Oculus exclusives are of most interest but even the non-exclusives being supported by Revive is useful. Obviously Steam is my first choice for buying games but I can see why someone coming from an Oculus HMD may not want to rebuy games from Steam and prefer to Revive their way back into the Oculus store.

@aoaaron haven't tried Defector.

Where I have tried the Index with Revive it works very well. I used to be able to find all functionality of the Touch controllers emulated somehow by the Vive wands. Now, the Knuckles are a lot closer to the Touch controllers than the wands were so even prompts are instinctive and no thought required.

There are a few compatibility lists out there, here's one from the Revive GitHub: LibreVR/Revive. It claims Defector is working.

Oculus exclusives are of most interest but even the non-exclusives being supported by Revive is useful. Obviously Steam is my first choice for buying games but I can see why someone coming from an Oculus HMD may not want to rebuy games from Steam and prefer to Revive their way back into the Oculus store.

I’ve bought all my games I possibly can on the steam store.

Sadly games like lone echo, storm land, robo recall, Asgard’s wrath, lone echo 2, defector, Vader immortal, chronos are my most wanted to play games and aren’t available on steam.

My plan is it the oculus link is good, I’ll get rid for the rift s and play with an index for a week or so. That way I think people get the best of both worlds. A native oculus headset with amazing black levels and the most technologically advanced headset for pcvr.

Btw guys,

How are
1. Fov increase
2. The black levels (say compared to a rift s)

Those are my two major selling points for an index.

Done enough research into which headset to get.
Just pulled the trigger on an Index and one base station as only going to use it for sim racing.
Can always expand if some awesome game comes out in the future.

Done enough research into which headset to get.
Just pulled the trigger on an Index and one base station as only going to use it for sim racing.
Can always expand if some awesome game comes out in the future.

The index is excellent for extended play as it so comfortable on the head.

Does anyone live in BIRMINGHAM or near who has an index I can have a play with?

@aoaaron here are my thoughts on the FOV of the Index.

I talk about sweet spot, black levels and colours in some subsequent posts...

And here is where me release day verbal diarrhea started...

Last edited:
Thanks I'll give it a read.

Does anyone have an Index and an afternoon or evening free where I could demo one?

I might just need to buy one and check it out but its such an issue buying then returning.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom