Valve index VR headset

upload_2019-3-30_3-15-32.gif

Ohhhhh yeeasaaaahhhhhhhh

HMD means Knuckles, means Game, means Halflife prequel, means insta buy.

So it’s called Index

upload_2019-3-30_4-50-28.jpeg

Wouldn't stop me buying but what a rubbish name!. Has proper physical IPD setting so that is nice. Looks like cameras on the side. Is this gonna be inside out do you think? Or is it just because the wider FOV means it has sticking out bits on the side

Not long to wait to find out

2 months! Hopefully it is bundles with knuckles type controllers

Valve Index

Last edited:
Blimey, they could have come up with a better name! :eek:

Those cameras are probably passthrough I think...I can't see them abandoning their own tracking system.

This is one to watch closely for me I think.

In a couple of months I might have a reasonable amount of VR budget.

But I have a 980Ti so would probably need a new GPU.

So, as ever, the question will be what's the launch price, should I commit at launch or sit back for another year?

Well unless they have a partnership in place, but there has been no mentions between Valve and HTC for a while. Maybe HTC are going to focus on business for the time being. I don’t think Cosmos can be taken seriously at this point in time unless they buck up their ideas.

Well unless they have a partnership in place, but there has been no mentions between Valve and HTC for a while. Maybe HTC are going to focus on business for the time being. I don’t think Cosmos can be taken seriously at this point in time unless they buck up their ideas.

It's pretty clear that HTC are abandoning Lighthouse tracking for their home consumer headset, and now that Oculus have pioneered arena scale VR for inside out tracking we may see them doing the same for enterprise use going forward.

I quite like "index"

Though it's got cameras it will still be Lighthouse. The Vive Pro has a pair of cameras. They'll just be for pass through.

Hopefully it will come with BS2.0 and Knuckles for under £600.

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this. It all depends on the PC specs needed to run it and the price for me. If you need a PC with a 1080Ti+ and it's anywhere near a grand then I'll be getting myself a Rift S instead.

Hopefully it will come with BS2.0 and Knuckles for under £600.

I think that's wishful thinking. If it was launched at that price it would be a no brainer for me.

I think it's more likely to be around the E1k mark.

It may settle around the £700 mark after a year or so.

But I guess I'm judging them by HTC standards, which isn't fair.

Ah man. Now i gotta wait til May to see which one suits me better. I very much doubt its going to be standalone right ?

Yup, I reckon we're talking about a grand's worth of headset and needing a 1080Ti minimum to run the thing. I hope I'm wrong because £600 is my limit for a new headset. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this because I'm wanting to upgrade from my current Rift.

The HP Reverb is out for me because you need a 1080 minimum to be able to run one and because the tracking isn't going to be great. I have a 1080 but being minimum spec as far as a GPU is concerned I think it's pointless getting a headset where you need to turn all of the settings down to run it.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on it but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Yup, I reckon we're talking about a grand's worth of headset and needing a 1080Ti minimum to run the thing. I hope I'm wrong because £600 is my limit for a new headset. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this because I'm wanting to upgrade from my current Rift.

The HP Reverb is out for me because you need a 1080 minimum to be able to run one and because the tracking isn't going to be great. I have a 1080 but being minimum spec as far as a GPU is concerned I think it's pointless getting a headset where you need to turn all of the settings down to run it.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on it but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Yeh that would suck. Itll probably be more suited for you to get a Rift S or HTCs next update

Aye o think you are right. I am really interested in this I hope the whole package is decent

As far as cameras are concerned there have only ever been pictures taken with those two on the front.

My guess -Valve will sell the HMD with Knuckles only to keep costs down like WMR. Base Stations will be sold seperately for those who want the best tracking.

I'm so pumped that Knuckles are finally going to be here in may. :clap:

I'm so pumped that Knuckles are finally going to be here in may. :clap:

I'll only believe it when we see it considering the company involved lol :D

May might just be the reveal of the specs, we could still be looking at a release in 2037 :p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom