Valve index VR headset

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Not sure anyone has been successful getting an RMA on only the stick click issue alone. Might have to smash mine into the wall again :D

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Had a bit of a play with Moondust, its alright, worth trying, but its very much a small, quaint toybox. I can see why Valve aren't pushing it at anyone. The radio control cars are fun though the leaderboards are full of impossible times already.

Aperture Hand Labs is a much better introduction to Knuckles.

I have large hands. I've ordered some 3d printed boosters but unfortunately missed delivery today. Looking forward to trying them tomorrow.

Also, the cameras for the 3d chaperone tron view just seem to be working all the time now. However, the cameras are too far apart and everything seems closer than it actually is. Hopefully Valve have something clever lined up to adjust in software using your IPD setting.

Last edited:

aoaaron

Did Valve ever admit it was a production issue or are they trying to keep it quiet and just replace those who realise the issue?

either way glad you got sorted
Its a bit dodgey isn't it.

I find it to so hard to trust Valve.

Lets have faith we see an exclusive game announcement and release before Christmas.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
My controller boosters arrived :clap:

IMG_20190926_101050.jpg

IMG_20190926_101354.jpg

Feel really nice. A good quality print so it's not uncomfortable against my palm. I wear a large / extra large glove and I found I was having to curl my thumb under itself or reposition my hand to use the face control of the Knuckle. This was uncomfortable and I think it troubled the finger tracking a little. With these my thumb falls comfortably on the touch bean with my fingers in a natural position.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Should add I got them from a seller on Etsy: Valve Index Knuckles 2x Set Palm Support - PLA 3D Printed

Took a couple of weeks from Romania to arrive but I'm very happy with the result. I went for the Galaxy Black colour. I did see someone have them printed in portal style orange and blue which looked awesome!

I did send the 3dprint files from Valve to a local firm for a quote... they wanted 90 quid :facepalm:

These are so simple. It was good of Valve to offer up the 3dprint files but could you, maybe, have just included them in the box? You were kind enough to throw in the foam cushion for people with small heads.

Last edited:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Just been trying Revive for the first time with my Index and it all seems to be working very well. The Knuckles joystick and buttons are pretty close to how the Touch controllers look and you really don't need any thought translating the button prompts from the Touch to the Index. Even the TurnSignal works.

Unfortunately Lucky's Tale has disappeared from my Oculus library. I'd had it free from before so I wasn't too upset about spending a tenner on it, its wonderful. Fully playable with the Knuckles and looks beautiful at Index resolution. Not sure whether I was getting the best of the Index's fps or not though.

Gave Vader Immortal a very quick try and it appears to be working fine. Even the limited finger tracking of the Touch is emulated by the Knuckles, so I could extend my index finger to point and open and close my hand without using buttons. Looking forward to giving this some more time soon.

Atmos

Suspended
Vadar Immortal is great. I think it works better with Knuckles than Touch because you can put your hand flat on the scanner and climb ladders more naturally. I bought EP 2 last night but not tried it yet I’ll wait till the weekend.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately Lucky's Tale has disappeared from my Oculus library. I'd had it free from before so I wasn't too upset about spending a tenner on it, its wonderful. Fully playable with the Knuckles and looks beautiful at Index resolution. Not sure whether I was getting the best of the Index's fps or not though.
? Lucky's tale is no longer free.... I wonder when that happened? . I know it was an initial over sight that it was free for everyone and not just rift users, but it kind of seems a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has gone, bolted, died of old age and come back again in a findus crispy pancake!.
I am surprised they bothered taking it off you, have all non oculus users had it removed then?

glad it is all working as it should however WRT Revive.

edit ok do happened a few months back

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ciznds

Atmos

Suspended
Last time I tried Revive it allowed to access Oculus Home on my non Oculus headset the first time. Nothing to do with Oculus going soft though.

I’m surprised about Luckys Tale too. I’ll have to give it a try at the weekend. Not my cup of tea but interesting if it now doesn’t work.

OpenXR never got a mention at OC6 surprise, surprise.

Last edited:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Seems if you've never connected a CV1 then they removed it from your library. Even though I had finished it previously I still just bought it again, it is very charming.

Will have to try Oculus Home and see what all the fuss is about.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Last time I tried Revive it allowed to access Oculus Home on my non Oculus headset the first time. Nothing to do with Oculus going soft though.

I’m surprised about Luckys Tale too. I’ll have to give it a try at the weekend. Not my cup of tea but interesting if it now doesn’t work.

OpenXR never got a mention at OC6 surprise, surprise.
its a very nice title, and to be fair i completely sympathise with them wanting non rifters pay for it.

I wonder..... if i loan my CV1 out to a mate, will it reunlock the game, or maybe it is no longer free for anyone now?

Atmos

Suspended
It is true Luckys Tale is gone. Actually starts up but I get a bug on a shelf that smiles aqnd pulls tongues at me. Underneith it says GAME FAILED ENTITLEMENT CHECK.

Haha Oculus.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
It is true Luckys Tale is gone. Actually starts up but I get a bug on a shelf that smiles aqnd pulls tongues at me. Underneith it says GAME FAILED ENTITLEMENT CHECK.

Haha Oculus.
Well I guess considering you were stealing it in the 1st place it is fair enough that they took it back ;)

Atmos

Suspended
Well I guess considering you were stealing it in the 1st place it is fair enough that they took it back ;)
I have an Oculus account like everyone else. How am I stealing for not owning their headset?

Anyway if I get a Quest for the Kids they can play it free.

I just completed Vader Immortal EP2. A lot shorter than EP1 I must say. Felt like I was playing for about 10-15 mins as oppose to 30+mins for EP1. Just far too short when it has limited replay value.

Using the force with Knuckles felt good. Just reach out and grab, then throw. Niiice....

huxley

Luckys Tale was advertised as a free item for people who purchased a CV1 or later a RiftS. I don't see what the big deal is. Maybe they will officially open the store to other HMDs and not want to cheapen the deal to those that did buy Oculus hardware. Does it matter really?

Anyway -what's the verdict on the latest batch of index controllers? I`m seeing a few less rants on Reddit of late.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Lucky's Tale being removed is not a big deal. It was a cock up making it free to everyone, not just Revive users but also DK2 users, which they've now corrected. Its just surprising they left it a couple of years to correct it and understandably disappointing for those who thought they 'owned' it.

Still, I doubt I'm the only one that non-begrudgingly bought it after it was taken away and am happy to support Playful... even though they abandoned VR and went Xbox exclusive :(

It wasn't really 'stealing'. Oculus went and made it free to everyone.

ArmitageShanks

Anyway -what's the verdict on the latest batch of index controllers? I`m seeing a few less rants on Reddit of late.
This I’d like to know too - is it safe yet?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I have an Oculus account like everyone else. How am I stealing for not owning their headset?

Anyway if I get a Quest for the Kids they can play it free.

I just completed Vader Immortal EP2. A lot shorter than EP1 I must say. Felt like I was playing for about 10-15 mins as oppose to 30+mins for EP1. Just far too short when it has limited replay value.

Using the force with Knuckles felt good. Just reach out and grab, then throw. Niiice....
Was just pulling your chain. If oculus don't lock their rift freebies then that is on them, I would do the same. That said I would hope even you would not have issue with them if they chose to put right there error!

ArmitageShanks

My replacements are perfect in every way. Yes its safe. Buy, buy, buy!!! lol
Ordered! Time to see what all the fuss is about :D

GeForce Junky

I've recently upgrade from a Vive to a Index, primarily for racing games. I was a bit worried it would be a waste of money for a minor upgrade, but phorrr, it is a substantial improvement. 120hz is so much smoother and it's so clear! Would highly recommend.

Atmos

Suspended
I've recently upgrade from a Vive to a Index, primarily for racing games. I was a bit worried it would be a waste of money for a minor upgrade, but phorrr, it is a substantial improvement. 120hz is so much smoother and it's so clear! Would highly recommend.
Totally agree.

I’m a big Fresnel lens hater so the Index is a complete turn around from the rings of the OG Vive.

Sunshinewelly

decided to do the same as well. Was looking at the vive pro as i have a vive but looking at some reviews online (especially linus) decided to go for the index. I can keep my base stations so extra outlay not too bad. Just need to decide whether i get the knuckles now as well.

Atmos

Suspended
decided to do the same as well. Was looking at the vive pro as i have a vive but looking at some reviews online (especially linus) decided to go for the index. I can keep my base stations so extra outlay not too bad. Just need to decide whether i get the knuckles now as well.
Yes get the Knuckles you won’t regret it.

ArmitageShanks

You might if you get duff ones, which are still turning up!
Mine are supposed to turn up this afternoon. We'll know soon enough!

ArmitageShanks

Well, they’ve arrived! And the thumbstick does click in all directions, but not convincingly. Good enough I think though. Will give them a workout later when time allows!