Quantcast

Valve index VR headset

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't stop me buying but what a rubbish name!. Has proper physical IPD setting so that is nice. Looks like cameras on the side. Is this gonna be inside out do you think? Or is it just because the wider FOV means it has sticking out bits on the side

Not long to wait to find out

2 months! Hopefully it is bundles with knuckles type controllers

Valve Index

Last edited:

thesnowdog

Blimey, they could have come up with a better name! :eek:

Those cameras are probably passthrough I think...I can't see them abandoning their own tracking system.

Presuming Ed

This is one to watch closely for me I think.

In a couple of months I might have a reasonable amount of VR budget.

But I have a 980Ti so would probably need a new GPU.

So, as ever, the question will be what's the launch price, should I commit at launch or sit back for another year?

huxley

Well unless they have a partnership in place, but there has been no mentions between Valve and HTC for a while. Maybe HTC are going to focus on business for the time being. I don’t think Cosmos can be taken seriously at this point in time unless they buck up their ideas.

thesnowdog

Well unless they have a partnership in place, but there has been no mentions between Valve and HTC for a while. Maybe HTC are going to focus on business for the time being. I don’t think Cosmos can be taken seriously at this point in time unless they buck up their ideas.
It's pretty clear that HTC are abandoning Lighthouse tracking for their home consumer headset, and now that Oculus have pioneered arena scale VR for inside out tracking we may see them doing the same for enterprise use going forward.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I quite like "index"

Though it's got cameras it will still be Lighthouse. The Vive Pro has a pair of cameras. They'll just be for pass through.

thesnowdog

I'm definitely keeping my eye on this. It all depends on the PC specs needed to run it and the price for me. If you need a PC with a 1080Ti+ and it's anywhere near a grand then I'll be getting myself a Rift S instead.

Presuming Ed

Hopefully it will come with BS2.0 and Knuckles for under £600.
I think that's wishful thinking. If it was launched at that price it would be a no brainer for me.

I think it's more likely to be around the E1k mark.

It may settle around the £700 mark after a year or so.

But I guess I'm judging them by HTC standards, which isn't fair.

NeverEden

Ah man. Now i gotta wait til May to see which one suits me better. I very much doubt its going to be standalone right ?

thesnowdog

Yup, I reckon we're talking about a grand's worth of headset and needing a 1080Ti minimum to run the thing. I hope I'm wrong because £600 is my limit for a new headset. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this because I'm wanting to upgrade from my current Rift.

The HP Reverb is out for me because you need a 1080 minimum to be able to run one and because the tracking isn't going to be great. I have a 1080 but being minimum spec as far as a GPU is concerned I think it's pointless getting a headset where you need to turn all of the settings down to run it.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on it but I'm not getting my hopes up.

NeverEden

Yup, I reckon we're talking about a grand's worth of headset and needing a 1080Ti minimum to run the thing. I hope I'm wrong because £600 is my limit for a new headset. I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this because I'm wanting to upgrade from my current Rift.

The HP Reverb is out for me because you need a 1080 minimum to be able to run one and because the tracking isn't going to be great. I have a 1080 but being minimum spec as far as a GPU is concerned I think it's pointless getting a headset where you need to turn all of the settings down to run it.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on it but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Yeh that would suck. Itll probably be more suited for you to get a Rift S or HTCs next update

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Aye o think you are right. I am really interested in this I hope the whole package is decent

Atmos

As far as cameras are concerned there have only ever been pictures taken with those two on the front.

My guess -Valve will sell the HMD with Knuckles only to keep costs down like WMR. Base Stations will be sold seperately for those who want the best tracking.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I'll only believe it when we see it considering the company involved lol :D

May might just be the reveal of the specs, we could still be looking at a release in 2037 :p
Indeed may could be the reveal and this just a tactic to distract from rift S but I do think we are close .,2019 for sure

thesnowdog

Whether I get a Rift S or a Valve Index all depends on three things:

1) The price of the thing. I'm only going to have 600 quid to spend on a new headset.

2) Whether I can run it and the likes of Elite Dangerous with my 1080 without turning all of the settings down.

3) Whether I'm okay giving Valve that sort of money.

If it has eye tracking and foveated rendering then number 2) won't be a problem but will impact the price. And number 3) depends on what game(s) they're releasing with it.

I won't be getting a Cosmos though because the tracking won't be as good as it is with the Rift S and I won't be getting an HP Reverb because of the tracking and because whilst a 1080 is a minimum spec GPU for it you'll need to turn all of the settings down to play anything decent.

So my two options are a Rift S or a Valve Index the way things stand at the moment.

ArmitageShanks

So are there any actual specs released for this? Or still all just conjecture at this point?

If there is going to be a full HMD+BS+Knuckles package, I honestly can't see it coming in at less than £800 sadly.

thesnowdog

So are there any actual specs released for this? Or still all just conjecture at this point?

If there is going to be a full HMD+BS+Knuckles package, I honestly can't see it coming in at less than £800 sadly.
We've no details at all at this point, just that it has a physical IPD adjustment and that GabeN has confirmed that they're selling a headset only SKU for those people that already own base stations.

Atmos

All conjecture. No specs. Alert from previous interviews and what Valve have said over the last two years. Everything we thought we know could have changed.