Valve Index - Elite Dangerous question

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve just been perusing the ED forums and came across this:

“From my understanding the Valve Index uses angled screens just like the Pimax so it will also require parallel projection for Elite and thus loos ~30% performance.
So to me the Valve Index is out of the race. HP Reverb....”

I know little about the Pimax, and nothing about parallel projection. Can anyone that does have the requisite knowledge verify or dispute the above. I’m currently on the order list for an Index, but will rapidly cancel if it turns out to be true.

I’m not a big ED player but I did put it on my Pimax the other night. I flew around the station and everything worked great. I didn’t look at the FPS but it seemed to be running smooth.

Index will use a lot less resources than the Pimax and the screens are only cantered 5 degrees.

Index is going to be far more popular than the Pimax and the chances of getting native support in ED is far greater. Either way you’re good.

I’m running a 1080ti, what do you have bilbo?

Thanks for that. It sounds hopeful then. I’ve got a 1080, although might look at going up to a 1080ti. The 2080 doesn’t seem enough of a step up for the money.

Thanks for that. It sounds hopeful then. I’ve got a 1080, although might look at going up to a 1080ti. The 2080 doesn’t seem enough of a step up for the money.

If you have performance issues you can always knock the Index refresh rate down to 80Hz. For a 120-144Hz experience you'll probably find a 2080Ti struggling to cope with things, especially in space stations, Combat Zones and asteroid fields.

I’m able to get 90 fps with my current rig, with the rift. Super sampling at 1.4. I don’t really want to go backwards with the refresh rate though. I might try and source a decent priced 1080ti. Maybe look at a used card.

I would have been more concerned with black levels going from OLED to LCD?
TBH, a 1080Ti/2080 isn't that much of a step up from a 1080 imo, which is why I've held out with my 1080's. Your next best bet is a 2080Ti (it absolutely killed everything I tried it on in VR...before it died, along with its replacement), but it's still going for a stupid amount of money.

Black levels are a concern, but I’ll see what the general consensus is once people have gone hands-on. I don’t play ED exclusively, but it is my main bag.

Yeah, sorry, I actually meant the 2080ti when I posted before. I’d looked at 2080 results and they weren’t too spectacular. But, like you say, hellishly expensive atm.

I'm going to be sticking with my 1080 as long as I can, but my Windows 10 screen went green about half an hour ago so I think it's on it's way out. :(

I'm going to be sticking with my 1080 as long as I can, but my Windows 10 screen went green about half an hour ago so I think it's on it's way out. :(
Check you cables. Or it could be a bad nVidia driver...I just installed the latest yesterday, but no problems so far.

Hope that pans out well. Timing couldn’t have been much worse :(

It might have just been Windows 10 having a funny 5 minutes, restarted my PC and haven't had any problems since.

I've been meaning to do a completely fresh install of Windows for a while so I might do that next week sometime.

I’ve just been perusing the ED forums and came across this:

“From my understanding the Valve Index uses angled screens just like the Pimax so it will also require parallel projection for Elite and thus loos ~30% performance.
So to me the Valve Index is out of the race. HP Reverb....”

I know little about the Pimax, and nothing about parallel projection. Can anyone that does have the requisite knowledge verify or dispute the above. I’m currently on the order list for an Index, but will rapidly cancel if it turns out to be true.

I found this which could be big news if there’s no performance hit.

“Valve insists that its SteamVR platform will adjust VR games’ and apps’ rendered imagery to translate across a pair of non-parallel lenses so that developers don’t have to individually account for this Index-specific difference.”

A dev from Cloudhead talks about the differences between the Pimax and Index.

“There’s so much I cannot say but I need to say one thing here. I have A/B’d these devices side-by-side for the last few months. So many people are underestimating what the Index does differently and does so well. It is almost not a comparable experience. Take that for what its worth until you try it for yourselves."

Now I own the Pimax and I can see it’s flaws. I’m hoping the Index is indeed the first HMD to give edge to edge clarity across 120-130 degrees. That’s my biggest criticism of the Pimax that it’s off axis view is blurred.

It’s hard not to get excited for the Index and I just hope when I put it on for the first time its like looking through a clear window and not one that distorts or wobbles when you look around. I’m sure FOV and resolution will come in time.

I found this which could be big news if there’s no performance hit.

“Valve insists that its SteamVR platform will adjust VR games’ and apps’ rendered imagery to translate across a pair of non-parallel lenses so that developers don’t have to individually account for this Index-specific difference.”

That sounds promising. Be interesting to see how it translates in real life.

A dev from Cloudhead talks about the differences between the Pimax and Index.

“There’s so much I cannot say but I need to say one thing here. I have A/B’d these devices side-by-side for the last few months. So many people are underestimating what the Index does differently and does so well. It is almost not a comparable experience. Take that for what its worth until you try it for yourselves."

Now I own the Pimax and I can see it’s flaws. I’m hoping the Index is indeed the first HMD to give edge to edge clarity across 120-130 degrees. That’s my biggest criticism of the Pimax that it’s off axis view is blurred.

It’s hard not to get excited for the Index and I just hope when I put it on for the first time its like looking through a clear window and not one that distorts or wobbles when you look around. I’m sure FOV and resolution will come in time.

It’s a bizarre situation at the moment. VR users, myself included, have been crying out for more resolution, and an increased fov. Now that both are here, it turns that they are too much for current systems to truly cope with. Display panel and lens technology look to have leapfrogged GPU and CPU’s developments. Who’d have thought it? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom