Valve forced to allow users to sell games

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
This could be good or could be bad but unless the appeal succeeds this could be massive
Overall I hope the appeal succeeds I think as otherwise will surely mean price increases......plus small Indies and people who make short experiences may be boned (unless valve build in some feature where part of the sale goes to Devs but this may not be legal..
Mind you OTOH 2nd hand physical sales never killed the industry

Last edited:

aslird

Distinguished Member
It would also not just affect Valve, but the whole industry (since Valve cannot be singled out) and would mean wholesale changes to the way games are sold/delivered to us.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I agree. Would be unfair to expect it only from valve

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Surely this also touches things like Kindle books, music downloads etc?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
To be honest I can't imagine valve won't win the appeal. It is too big a thing

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
If anyone can be bold enough to push this through it would be the french

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Just dawned on me. Would this mean we could all vpn and spoof a french IP to sell games too?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
For a few days at least we are in the EU so presumably it will include us anyway. I hope it does not mean the end of crazy steam sales and humble bundle.

silvercue

Distinguished Member
This is very interesting and the posts above are right, this has much wider implications, firstly it would have to apply to Sony and Microsoft for their console platforms.

No idea whether an appeal will work, but video games companies probably won’t find many allies and sympathies in a European court system.

I can’t help but feel that digital games should have had a more competitive pricing structure and this is the obvious outcome of not having that in place.

There will be positives and negatives to either outcome. Personal I will buy more digital, in fact probably only buy digital if I have a route to recover some of the outlay once I don’t want to play the game anymore.

Video games industry is strong at the top, they will be fine. Not so sure how smaller companies will be impacted.

Thug

Distinguished Member
Its a double edged sword, and I am not sure who will be the winner at the end of the day.
Firstly it 'could' effect pricing and sales for the good and bad, depending on the title.
It may make sales better as people wont care about buying games so much as they know they can move them on when completed.

Secondly how many games do YOU have in your library that you no longer play? You could sell them to get money to buy new titles, meaning more players in MP games etc.

Steam may charge more, knowing that not as many people are going to buy them due to knowing that they can pick them up in the future for a little less. But having said that, Steam may have more 'sales days' or price titles 6 months old more aggressively knowing this.

How will it work for DLC? If I buy a car for iracing and don't like it, can I move it on and sell it?

I would like to see more allowing cross platform/store usage as I think that would save PC gaming. The times I had bought a game from Oculus home and not been able to play with mates who had bought it from Steam would be a none issue in the future if they would allow this.

Last edited:

Beyeas1940

Novice Member
i think this is fair. there are many game stores platforms nowadays and the fact you cant sell one game from steam to friend or to ur second account in epic game store is big minus...

i bought many steam games and they all were awful, only 1 game was interesting. i would love to sell other games, but i cant. great right?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
You can refund steam games if you have owned for less than 2 weeks and have played for less than 2 hrs so that is something.

Thug

Distinguished Member
You can refund steam games if you have owned for less than 2 weeks and have played for less than 2 hrs so that is something.
Yeah it certainly helps for newly purchased games, but not for the loads of games I have owned for years that I no longer play (some I have never played).

That's the thing about digital purchases, they can put what ever rules they want, where if you have a physical disc (or a book, music CD, etc) you can do what you want and sell them on or loan them out.
They are not even any cheaper, despite fewer overheads.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Yeah it certainly helps for newly purchased games, but not for the loads of games I have owned for years that I no longer play (some I have never played).

That's the thing about digital purchases, they can put what ever rules they want, where if you have a physical disc (or a book, music CD, etc) you can do what you want and sell them on or loan them out.
They are not even any cheaper, despite fewer overheads.
I pushed back against digital purchases for the longest of times, the problem is, even buying retail it got to the point that a game CD was literally just the digital installer on a disk, so staying physical was no help.

You are right that we are at the mercy of the digital content platforms. Ask any Nintendo Wii users how they feel about their digital games collection. (if you are unaware a few months back Nintendo closed their store for the wii, including stopping users downloading the games they had bought.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Be prepared for more subscription based gaming services!
if it goes through i tend to agree. It is why I kind of hope Valve win their appeal even despite the fact in theory it would be great to sell old games.

hell for instance say i had Fallout 4 and then i wanted to buy fallout 4 GOTY. I could gift the base game to my mate and still get the GOTY version. It is pretty clear why developers and valve would not like this however.

Thug

Distinguished Member
I pushed back against digital purchases for the longest of times, the problem is, even buying retail it got to the point that a game CD was literally just the digital installer on a disk, so staying physical was no help.

You are right that we are at the mercy of the digital content platforms. Ask any Nintendo Wii users how they feel about their digital games collection. (if you are unaware a few months back Nintendo closed their store for the wii, including stopping users downloading the games they had bought.
That's one of the reasons why I still buy films.
I probably have about 2 or 3 max digital downloaded films, where is buy 4k (or BD) almost weekly (and sell them again).

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Not sure if is a good thing or not, say for example you fancy a new game and is 39.99 on steam so as we often do is go check cdkeys and see it is mayb 25.99. Then check marketplace and see it for 22 (as the 2nd hand pricing would have to be based on pricing elsewhere like cdkeys)
Nobody would ever buy direct from store again.. (although people would have to buy initially) unless to have refund opportunity, which may well end up disappearing if that was the case.

I'd say leave it as is, cant see it being good and can't see it happening.tbh.

Last edited:

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Sounds good at first but the implications for the industry will be mostly negative. The move to digital distribution was, in part, to hit the used games market and generate more 'new' sales for software companies. As others have said, the natural evolution from being able to sell 'used' downloads will be the games-as-a-service subscription model.

Always worth remembering that a digital download isn't so much a product that we own but a licence we pay for. We technically never own these downloads therefore I don't see how we have the right to sell them on.

Careful what you wish for.

MartinH32

Yes, I hate the fact that anything digital can just be taken away from me - when I've purchased the rights to use it!

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Yes, I hate the fact that anything digital can just be taken away from me - when I've purchased the rights to use it!
Yeah, the only time I remember that happening to me on steam is nfs most wanted, many many years old but not the point. Only noticed when I went for a go and was gone from library.
Had to fire up the 360 version lol

Thug

Distinguished Member
Funny you should say that, I am sure some of mine have disappeared but cant remember what they were.
Is there any way of finding out which have been removed?