Valve amp help

NGD Boy

I’ve had a Rotel RA01 and RCD02 for many years and wondered if I spent £400/£500 on a valve amp would it give me any benefit in sound

The amp/cd player have honestly hardly been used.
Speakers are Jamo D590
Any help grateful
Thanks
Carl

T1berious

Hey Carl,

Are you trying inject some warmth into your system by going for a valve amp?

NGD Boy

Hey Carl,

Are you trying inject some warmth into your system by going for a valve amp?
Yeah, but don’t want to spend silly money tbh

there doesn’t seem to be many places around to demo them, not like solid state amps

also wondered if my speakers are suitable

T1berious

you need quite sensitive speakers to get the best from valve amps or go hefty cash to get a valve amp with more grunt.

I can share my experience if it helps

Auditioned an Icon Audio 25 with some Dali floor standers. It sounded lovely but was clearly playing at its limit or near it, so I figured I'd go for an Icon Audio 40 to get the ceiling I really wanted.

I tried the Rega Elex R and that gave me the warmth I was after without the back breaking valve costs.

just my £0.02

AVBeginner

I have the icon audio stereo 25 mk2, and it’s awesome. It’s 30w into 8ohm and it drives my Buchardt S400 (4ohm, 88dB sensitivity) no trouble so I’d imagine it would work with yours too. The Stereo 40 would give more power/headroom but comes at additional cost.

T1berious

Agree but the Icon Audio 25 is 3 times his budget.

50956462417_491f7df784_z.jpg

It was a fabulous listen though

T1berious

@NGD Boy - dumb question, what's your listening room like?

Lots of soft furnishings? lots of stuff breaking up walls? I ask as what "might" be making things sound bright might not be the kit?

NGD Boy

Laminate floor that mrs wanted probably got sometime to do with it lol
2 large leather sofas, nothing else really

T1berious

Yeah, I'm feeling your pain, right there.

Rolls up sleeves....

I'm guessing that there isn't much on the walls either, OK so I'm going to start with the obligatory I'm not an expert and your mileage may vary yadda yadda yadda...

Soft furnishings, rugs, shelves could make a bigger difference than changing the amp. Some room treatment in a tasteful room sensitive colour could also make a huge difference.

Due to SWMBO having a fixation with minimalism, I have had to go to some lengths to reach a happy compromise.

Behold...
50955776498_beb90e9d14_z.jpg

£30 - £40 all in

50956484131_d6abcd5ba2_z.jpg

Usual caveats.. these worked for me (calmed a lot of the slap! down) and I don't know where you've got what in your setup, I just just know / have heard that lots of reflections in a room can sound sharp. Glass being my personal un tamable favourite.

Just saying that new kit might not be the answer

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Sounds like the room is playing a big part, Rotel are renown for being pretty neutral i.e. not emphasizing any one part of the frequency spectrum plus having decent power supplies so can keep the bass tight/dynamic.

Couple of things to try to see if it is your room/speakers -

Manual - https://bcc2479de3c817356f4e-1bbe45...l.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-manuals/D590_OM.pdf
  • Put a duvet down in between you and the speakers - temporary measure to see if a rug will help.
  • Place the speakers near the rear wall (will boost bass) - note the manual linked above seems to contradict itself, diagram shows 0.5m spacing from rear wall but words say place them close to the wall.
  • Slightly contradictory but try rolling up some socks and bunging up the rear port, this will reduce bass but may help balance out the treble by adding mid bass.
  • Finally, if you have the speakers toe'd in then place them straight out from the wall, listening off axis to the speakers should reduced the treble quite a bit.
Now try combination of the above to see if you can get a sound that you like.

Note that ideally the speakers and the siting position should be an equilateral triangle.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
75w into 8ohm for 1k USD

Free shipping, but can take 1-2 months.... (China I think)

The guy that builds these and owns the company is an amicable chap, so he may offer a discount...

I inquired about one of the tube based dacs as it was listed as out of stock, he came back with supply issues because of covid but I can have a 1k dac for 750...

oscroft

75w into 8ohm for 1k USD

Free shipping, but can take 1-2 months.... (China I think)

The guy that builds these and owns the company is an amicable chap, so he may offer a discount...

I inquired about one of the tube based dacs as it was listed as out of stock, he came back with supply issues because of covid but I can have a 1k dac for 750...
Plus 20% VAT on arrival in the UK

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Maybe so....

I know when I was looking at Denafrips dacs the VAT was included in final sale price.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom