Value of figure once removed from box?

drb5

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wonder, as so many of you guys take your figures out of their boxes, what do you think that does to the resale value?

Would you have no hesitation buying an item for the same price boxed and unopened, as one that had been removed for show?

Just curious as i have a TDK Batman on it's way to me that is in unopened condition and a BR J oker on pre-order, that i'd love to take out the box, but it's nice to know it's value may go up more, if i don't.

:)

I would say that it probably would be worth more in the future, but your guess is as good as mine. I always say that unless your buying 2, one for display and one kept in the box then why buy it and keep it in the box? Seems a shame not to display some of the excellent staute's you can buy.

Personally i don’t see the point of buying these items if your not going to open them and enjoy them. There are people out there that look to buy unopened figures and statues but they normally ask you to open the box for inspection anyway so again....what’s the point :rotfl:

Open them up when you get them, put them on your shelf and enjoy them. If you really think an item will be worth more unopened buy a second and store it.

My sentiments exactly Spikecast, especially when there's interchangeable parts in the box.

Think i'm just paranoid. :D

Would never think of keeping statues boxed as they can arrrive damaged but for the first couple of years I was collecting 12" figures I never opened them as I thought they would depreciate the value too much but then I thought whats the point of keeping them boxed and not really appreciating the figure itself..... so got a unit up and every night for a week or two I was like a kid at christmas till I got about 30 or 40 of them freed from their boxes and have never thought about keeping one boxed since

Lol, nice one thanks. :D

Not a lot of point buying something and keeping it in its box, you might just as well buy the box as keep it packed away in the hope one day it'll be worth a fortune (it almost certainly won't as hundreds of other buyers are all thinking the same thing). You also need to check the item has all of its bits and no damage and picking off any tape is a must (old sticky tape damages anything it touches)

Just wonder, as so many of you guys take your figures out of their boxes, what do you think that does to the resale value?

Would you have no hesitation buying an item for the same price boxed and unopened, as one that had been removed for show?

Just curious as i have a TDK Batman on it's way to me that is in unopened condition and a BR J oker on pre-order, that i'd love to take out the box, but it's nice to know it's value may go up more, if i don't.

:)

To answer your question, i have a tale to tell. Prior to chiristmas, a mate of mine told me that the Hot Toys Scar predator was fetching silly money on Ebay. Now, having bought this two years ago for about £100, and had it on display, i ended up selling for £500, along with the Colonial Matrines Hicks and Apone for £300 together, having bought them for £180 combined. So long as you keep the boxes and all the stuff that goes with them, i don't think resale value is affected on these premium collectibles, unlike the 6'' figures which are blister carded.:)

Excellent guys, thanks.

Nice little earner there, vtrmart.:smashin: Is it just luck what items escalate in price or is there certain things that tend to go up in value better than others...limited numbers of course will, but what else?

Excellent guys, thanks.

Nice little earner there, vtrmart.:smashin: Is it just luck what items escalate in price or is there certain things that tend to go up in value better than others...limited numbers of course will, but what else?

Cheers matey!

With the Predator and Aliens stuff, they were the best premium 12'' figures that had been done, and weren't mass produced or distributed globally due to the high prices of the stuff. Items like the forthcoming Arnie figure, the Godfather and the original Predator will most likely see increases given time. If you buy Hot Toys, they tend to keep their value moreso than their Medicom RAH counterparts. I have sold a few of these on at a loss compared to HT.:thumbsup:

Like I have said before - never buy collectables with a view to hope they raise in value in the future - you may br disapointed.

Always buy them because you want them, like Gam and SG I always buy for me, not bothered if they go up or down in value in the future, I always keep the boxes and packaging though for storage and transportation.

Like I have said before - never buy collectables with a view to hope they raise in value in the future - you may br disapointed.

Always buy them because you want them, like Gam and SG I always buy for me, not bothered if they go up or down in value in the future, I always keep the boxes and packaging though for storage and transportation.

Agree completely- i only move stuff on if i need space or money to reinvest in things that i couldn't do without. The proceeds from my recent sales went on the TDK line of Hot Toys figures.

Oh no, i certainly would only buy an item if i liked it, but you just never know how well an item is made till it's in your hand and my closest FP is a tiny wee place in Glasgow....don't know of anywhere similar to check these things out and being new to it all, it makes it even harder to decide. :)

Top stuff, thanks.:smashin:

Pmsl! Do you tell the same to the missus? :D

my closest FP is a tiny wee place in Glasgow....don't know of anywhere similar to check these things out and being new to it all, it makes it even harder to decide. :)

Funny, I was at the Glasgow store today - managed to get an Indiana Jones 12" SSC figure for £49.50.

Dont like the layout, its all cramped together and all the statues and figures are at such a height you cant see prices or anything - shame because it was very busy but people were just walking out and not buying anything.

Lol, me and missus were in on Saturday and i commented on whether anyone actually bought anything, as everyone just seems to go in for a look. :D

I bought a FP book and have got the bug.:oops:

Yeah they do some cracking stuff, except some of the prices amaze me, they had Commander Praji SSC for £ 49.99 and the website has it for £22.99, I know they have overheads and need to charge extra but at that price Im surprised they sell anything.

I asked if they price matched there own website and the shop assistant said no, gave me some cr@p about them buying stock from different places.

Joke really!

The value it keeps really depends on the figure/statue/whatever. An example being the early Hot Toys marines from Aliens figures, they go for insane amounts whether they've been opened or not. So its about demand, which is obviously hard to predict.

Funny, I was at the Glasgow store today - managed to get an Indiana Jones 12" SSC figure for £49.50.

:rotfl: got mine before christmas but just got round to opening him tonight and although I had heard reports about the body and the joints it was the first one I have ever came close to loosing the rag with as I was at him for nearly 2 hours and at one point was very close to throwing it down the stairs :mad:

don't get me wrong the figure looks quite good apart from being a bit skinny feeling but I don't like the new body at all as no matter what I done with it it just looked unnatural and the slightest wee tweak seemed to make his legs turn to jelly :mad:

but got an ok pose in the end but I don't think i'll be touching him any time soon :thumbsup:

good price you got it for though, I think I paid just over £70 for it

Thanks mate, the Prometheus body sure does have issues over the old buck body.

Although I must admit the joints on mine are not too floppy, overall its not a bad figure I just think Sideshow should have taken more time on the quality inspection on the production line rather than rush the figure out.

It will do untill Belloq and Toht come along with the ark anyway:smashin:

I always unpack my collectibles and shove them out on display. :thumbsup:
and just before christmas I had a damn good clear out of all the empty boxes stored up in my loft. :eek:
so I can never sell anything... unless the buyer collects it in person of course. :D
my sideshow 1:1 predator bust is probably the item that has increased the most in value, I paid £399 and they usually go for over a grand on ebay.
( or they did before the current global financial meltdown. :rotfl: )
but I don't regard my collection as an investment really,
it's just a hobby I enjoy and hang the expense !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom