Value of av192

johnson

Lately, I have been considering selling my av192(black)
I'm not sure if I will, or what I'd replace it with, but I'd like some idea of what I might get for it.
Any ideas what it's worth?
It's 28months old, excellent condition,
has,
Psm 192, twin FM tuners ,Front panel flap ,xlr ,Dab radio ,dolby headphone ,rs232 control ,rgb switcher , pl11x etc ( obviously Dual processor)
So basically evrything other than the scaler.
Original cost just under £10,000
Regards

Miron

Simon, at least two dealers are trying to sell exactly the same unit in Germany for about 5k £ for months now.
So the value will be less.

Still, I guess it is hard to part with such a toy

Joelc

johnson said:
Lately, I have been considering selling my av192(black)
I'm not sure if I will, or what I'd replace it with, but I'd like some idea of what I might get for it.
Any ideas what it's worth?
It's 28months old, excellent condition,
has,
Psm 192, twin FM tuners ,Front panel flap ,xlr ,Dab radio ,dolby headphone ,rs232 control ,rgb switcher , pl11x etc ( obviously Dual processor)
So basically evrything other than the scaler.
Original cost just under £10,000
Regards
Johnson:

I hate to tell you this but it is worth very little...perhaps £2,000 at most...a very sad state of affairs.

FWIW, I am in an even worse position as I also have the VSM2048 option fitted to mine...when I tried to sell it NIB (as I got a replcement unit from IAG) the highest offer I got was £1,500...I rejected it and have since decided to keep it until it no longer does it job and then move it to the bedroom.

Very very sad state of affairs.

Joel

Steve.EX

It is odd.
Yet you have any number of people happy to pay 2K+ for the inferior(?) 32DP.

johnson

Thanks Guys. Dissapointing news.
Joel, I'd wager you would get alot more for yours if it was a 230 volt model, but it's still very poor.
For 1500 I'd rather keep it in a cupboard!
Regards

Gunner44

Simon

If you do think of selling it, I for 1 would pay more for an AV192 than an AV32R DP

Dave

K

Keith @ SG

i would too - why an AV32DP can command a higher resale price than an AV192R is v.strange ; obviously size or lack of it rather than performance is really a big issue,

Joelc

I believe part of the reason is misinformation...I did have a number of people query me as to whether the AV192R had TMREQ...that said, it appears to me that many are trying to take advantage of our position..

Joel

GrahamMG

Nothing does a better job currently so why sell it....

Performance of either the DP or 192R is so close it probably doesn't matter at all to anyone except Udo :D Extra connectivity yes, sound performance nah......

P

PhilB1234

Hi johnson...
One option would be to list it on eBay with a high reserve so you could see what interest it generates. I for one am keeping my eyes peeled for an AV192, so I'd be bidding! ...Unless of course you fancy a DP as ££ plus swap deal...

192's don't come up that often so I would have thought the price you could get would also depend on how many punters were looking at the time... With a high reserve you reduce any risk of a poor price.

alexs2

Keep it....at the price,nothing comes remotely close(resale value that is),and as long as it works....

Even now,the only serious replacements in terms of facilities and sound are going to be from Meridian and Tact.

sheggsl

As Graham Pointed out, in terms of pure sonic performance the DP and AV192 are very similar, most of the extra bells and whistles are pretty obsolete now, RGB switching is quite redundant in the light of HDMI, The PSM 192 which I have in my DVD32R is no longer leading edge, the scaler (must admit I've never seen in action) was never really well received, hence the similarity in price. However the major issue is that TMA is out of business and I think most people will be reluctant to pay over £3K for a piece of kit where there isn't any guarantee of its future support.

This final comment might grate a few nerves, and I apologise in advance, however from the limited conversations I've had with people in the industry, including some Senior folks at QUAD, the general perception is that the AV192 was initially quite overpriced.

A sad state indeed, however I don't see these selling for more than 4k, because there is just so much choice in the over 5k market for good processors from audiophile brands still in business .

Finally the general rule of thumb is that hifi from a good reputable brand depreciates by approx 40% from ownership hence £6k will be a good ball pack number for a 10K purchase, add to that the cost of a company no longer in business and open questions of ongoing support, a £4k figure isn't too far off the mark.

GrahamMG

"Future support", well IAG have taken that bit over and will support it even if some may think it isn't to the same standard. Remember most manufacturers definition of a bug fix or upgrade is selling a brand new "improved model" unit........We all know that....
The fact that we don't actually need anything that the DP or 192R hasn't already got so if it is working why depress yourself and enter unknown territory by selling and trying to find something else....... Sorry guys I just don't see the reason why anyone should bother currently...... Unless of course you have far more time on your hands than I to worry about it.... :D
I do appologise if I am coming over a bit harsh but we have done this to death several times now and the kit still sounds the equal or better than anything else at sensible money.

alexs2

GrahamMG said:
"Future support", well IAG have taken that bit over and will support it even if some may think it isn't to the same standard. Remember most manufacturers definition of a bug fix or upgrade is selling a brand new "improved model" unit........We all know that....
The fact that we don't actually need anything that the DP or 192R hasn't already got so if it is working why depress yourself and enter unknown territory by selling and trying to find something else....... Sorry guys I just don't see the reason why anyone should bother currently...... Unless of course you have far more time on your hands than I to worry about it.... :D
I do appologise if I am coming over a bit harsh but we have done this to death several times now and the kit still sounds the equal or better than anything else at sensible money.
I'd have to agree with all of that,Graham,and my own feelings about the DP I have are already well known here...I'm very happy with it,can't think of anything at the price thats as good,and even if TAG have gone out of business,as owners,we are still in a far better position than most owners of "defunct" stock.

M

microsupp

Simon,

I think one of the problems is that there is limited knowledge of the AV192 as per JOELC's comments. I've not recently seen a secondhand AV192 for sale so its hard to judge values but if a decent DP sells secondhand around £2000 I suppose you are looking somewhere around £3000 to £3500. I'm currently looking for a black AV192 but cannot find one so I'd certainly be interested!

PeterG

Standard Member
microsupp said:
Simon,

I think one of the problems is that there is limited knowledge of the AV192 as per JOELC's comments. I've not recently seen a secondhand AV192 for sale so its hard to judge values but if a decent DP sells secondhand around £2000 I suppose you are looking somewhere around £3000 to £3500. I'm currently looking for a black AV192 but cannot find one so I'd certainly be interested!
You may have chance to get a black AV192 with XLR connectors for £3500. In less than 3 hours an auction ends at ebay.de - the current bid is Euro 3300. :thumbsup:

I was bidding on it for a while, but I rather upgrade to an AV32DP due to the size of the AV192, and I found two F3 125M mono blocks (demo) for £1000 that I bought the other day. :)

Miron

this is a genuine unit sold from ex tag dealer.

but be careful, whoever is going to bid, it is plain AV192R with XLR option. it is fairly expensive to add more modules thru IAG, if possible at all.

from time to time you might get av192r with much more options on ebay, some of them were even full loaded

M

microsupp

It went for just over £2500 so that gives a good idea of the current values!

Joelc

Unfortunately -- and I have said in an earlier post -- given

1. The current market understanding (or perhaps, complete lack of understanding); and

2. The resulting "low ball" pricing,

it makes no sense to sell one's AV192R as the outlay to get even near comparable performance is outrageous.

The best -- and it is unfortunate -- strategy is to simply use the unit until it dies or is not techinally advanced at which point it should be replaced and moved to secondary/bedroom environement.

Makes me very very sad...

Joel

johnson

Hi,
As I've said before,at that value, I'd rather not sell it.
Not mentioning any names but I've visited someone from this forum who has two DP's, one for his computer!!
Might be the way to go.
Regards

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom