value of 7.1 upgrade

H

hillyfield

i have a denon 500sd with 5 speakers. I understand i can get two more speakers to make it 7.1...has anyone done this.. is it worth it?

On the 500 you'll have to get an additional amp to power the extra two speakers, also I think you'll also have to purchase an active sub-woofer to replace the passive one, plus obviously the cost of one or two extra speakers.

It's one of those things, if you've got a suitable amp knocking around and were planning to get an active sub anyway then why not go for the additional speakers. However, as very few films have "true" 6.1/7.1 mixes then it would probably be an expensive route for probably not huge audio returns.

I say this from the perspective of someone who hasn't got 6.1 or 7.1 so others may disagree.

If you want to make the system 6.1 all you need is another speaker and an active sub woofer, as I understand it.

If you want to upgrade to 7.1 you need two extra speakers and a stereo amp, the existing sub woofer works fine.

I have upgraded to 7.1 because I happened to have the speakers and amp going spare. Personally I would not pay out any extra yourself because though you do get a better soundstage there are not actually that many discs available that take advantage of 6.1 never mind 7.1.

I have mine set out in the 6.1 configuration because the hubbie didn't want more wires showing so I have the extra two in the centre back position, which is 6.1 sound. The Lord of the Rings dvds really make use of the DTS 6.1 soundtrack and sound fantastic though.

Normal tvs programs can be decoded into a pseudo 7.1 sound (DPIIx and DTS Neo decoders) which generally adds more background noises in the centre but still no way like the standard in true 6.1 sound.

I would recommend you just stick with the 5.1 sound by the time this kit breaks you will probably to able to buy 6.1 all in one systems. I know looking on American sites that they can already buy these systems and we usually follow suit over here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom