Value for Money

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I found this headphone comparison website very informative when I was researching a headphone purchase:

Anyone else use this website? If so, I have a question: How come so few headphones, at three or four times the price, beat the cheap and cheerful Superlux HD681 for sonic accuracy?

Think maybe you’re reading reviews wrong?

The HD681 score 8.0 for Neutral Sound and the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless score 7.4

Nobody would expect the £25 HD681 to be as good in anyway as the £350 SM3W.

I think you’ll find every score is based upon at least a price range, so the HD681 might be an 8.0 for £25 but if they were £350 they would probably score 1.0?

So reciews are great but only go so far, hence read reviews in your budget and then demo as many things are subjective and your hearing might not be as good as you think which might save you money.

Unless everyone else on this site has more money than sense (it’s possible lol).

I think you’ll find every score is based upon at least a price range, so the HD681 might be an 8.0 for £25 but if they were £350 they would probably score 1.0?

I wondered that too, so I read the explanatory notes for every main test parameter heading and there is no mention of a price or value adjustment or consideration. Wisely, IMO, RTINGS.com have left the value judgement to the reader. These test results are therefore absolute figures.

Nobody would expect the £25 HD681 to be as good in anyway as the £350 SM3W.

I don't go with that philosophy. I try (not always successfully) to avoid thinking in that way otherwise I'd never manage to bag myself a bargain.

Unless everyone else on this site has more money than sense (it’s possible lol).

I couldn't possibly comment. :thumbsup:

Having looked closer that is quite an interesting site. I’ve seen it before but not really dug into it much.

That said, it’s worth mentioning that their suggestions of “best” are based purely on you agreeing with their weighting methodology. Personally I find their idea of the best wireless headphones to not meet my criteria as I don’t value noise cancelling anywhere as much as they seem to.

As you say it is useful, and I look forward to others input...

With headphones costing anywhere from couple hundred to thousands, it is useful to remove bias by asking "do these headphones still sound good if they were priced as a budget set at £50 or £100"

In relation to "neutral sound", there are different measurement targets and lots of reading material in that regard. Not the be all and end all though. It is entirely legitimate for a buyer to spend money for whatever reason they please

Also measurements may help with things like timbre, but cannot answer intangible things like soundstage, imaging, separation (intangible in the sense nobody has a performance hall as their own listening station whether speakers or headphones)

And that is before going to comfort, build and material, which are not technically related to "neutrality of sound" but sure as heck matter for an item intended to be worn

So in conclusion do not overthink, give in to confirmation bias and buy what you want to buy*

Regards

*I am not responsible if you blind buy £3k headphones

It is entirely legitimate for a buyer to spend money for whatever reason they please

Absolutely. I would rigorously uphold that right because...

I saw an article on TV this morning (Rip off Britain) where insurance companies were being pilloried for charging their loyal customers far higher premiums than customers who regularly change insurers. Insurers were being asked not to treat their loyal customers like a cash cow. However, it was suggested that if insurers lowered premiums for loyal customers to a fair price, then customers who regularly switch insurers would not find many cheap deals.

Same principle applies to buying stuff. Unless a good few folk spend big money on products, other tight-wads like me will find true bargains pretty scarce.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom