Value for money speaker cable

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back in my young free and single days I thought nothing to spending £5+ a meter on cables and bi wired my 3 front speakers with 3 meters of QED anniversary cable

However now due to a proposed move around the cable will need to be replaced as its not going to be long enough :(

What is a good quality - cost effective speaker cable thats not going to blow the bank and will be ok to wire biwire a B&W CC6 centre and 603s2s to a mid range Yamaha amp

Thanks

Hi Duncan, depends what you mean by 'cost effective', I use Supra's Rondo 4x2.5T bi-wire cable, it's a good cable at what I consider 'reasonable' for a bi-wire speaker cable :thumbsup:

Hello DunacnWardle

VanDamme Black Series 4x2.5mm has an SRP of £2.80/m and works a treat in lots of installations I've seen/heard.

Best regards

Joe

Joe Fernand said:
Hello DunacnWardle

VanDamme Black Series 4x2.5mm has an SRP of £2.80/m and works a treat in lots of installations I've seen/heard.

Best regards

Joe

Sounds good

Matt said:
Twin&Earth or braided Cat5?

Eh ?

Managed to try some of my cousins Ixos cable and to my ears could not tell the difference - managed to get 30meters for 30 quid - just under half price so think that will do

DuncanWardle said:

Duncan I have used in the past for speaker cable :

2.5mm2 Twin + Earth – B+Q – 30p per metre
CAT5 speaker cable - £1.15 per metre

These are equivalent to dealer bought cable ranging from £5 - £60 (yes £60) per metre.

Read more about these DIY variants and other types here :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1927987&postcount=4

I currently use Van Damme Blue series (same as the stuff Joe mention above) 2 x 2.5mm2 - £2 a metre. Van Damme has brought some good old common sense to the speaker cable market recently, prices range from £1-4 per metre.

PS Horribleman, once you subscribe to the idea of electron travelling on the surface of multistrand copper in speakers cables, and this having any effect on the audio spectrum of the cable in use, your heading back down the same mythic route that DIY cabling sets out against, IMHO and no offence. Ive tried multistrand & solid core CAT5 variants supposedly “night and day” different – identical to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom