• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vaio XL210 - Replacement Multi-Region Drive Needed - Any suggestions?

jmcardle

Still very pleased with the XL201 - apart from one major snag

The DVD Rom drive is a Matsh*ta (= Panasonic) UJ846 and it cannot be made multi region. The usual software doesn't work and there are no firmware flashes available. Ripping all my DVDs to a hard drive is just way too much hassle so my best option is to swop it for one that is multi-region or can be flashed multi-region (probably using a firmware flash from RPC1.org). However, the drive is a slot loader not a tray loader and that makes it more difficult to find a replacement.

Has anyone come across a slot loader that isn't from Matsh*ta/Panasonic? Preferably one that's multi region or for which RPC1 already has a firmware flash?

XL201 spec here, if needed

H

humenz

Yep. What I ended up doing was buying a Pioneer slot load DVD drive and replacing the existing on. Here’s the link for where I got it and the model:

http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=1585

This model comes in three version (PC, apple and Toshiba) so you need to make sure you get this one for standard PC’s. Arrived quickly (like within 3 days) with no added import tax to UK. Took old DVD drive out and dropped this one in and worked straight off the bat. You just need to make sure its sitting flat before tightening up the screws.

I then loaded in DVD43 as the software bypass and presto, a region free player.

jmcardle

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Just ordered one from ebay (Hong Kong). The Centrix site wanted fax authorisation for an international Credit Card charge - way too much hassle!!

I'll try DVD43 but rpc1.ORG also has a Region 1 flash - might just give that a go to make things simpler for HRH.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom