1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vaio vgf-ap1l volume cap blues

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by john123, Jun 25, 2005.

1. john123

john123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know of any news about a way around the euro volume cap on my pocket vaio

Does it have a factory menu like older versions ....supose if there was a way to unlock the volume it would be allover the net by now .....wonder if it is possible?

also i hear there is a crack to use mp3 format instead of the sony format this true?

Cheers john

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is a firmware update from sony that will let you play mp3, im, not sure about volume removal though i would guess the same applies to the vaio as the hd series, have a quick search on this forum for volume unlock code. ;)

3. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not aware of a volume unlock code for the vaio - the problem is it has a touch pad and no buttons, so the forward, forward, back, back, forward, back, forward, back, up and down code wouldn't be able to work.

Go and get the firmware update from www.vaio-link.com - it is definitely worth the hassle and will allow you to play mp3s as well as atrac - it will also make the player completely gapless between tracks.

4. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, there is a European firmware upgrade and a North American one - has anyone been brave enough to upgrade a European player with the American firmware? Could this have an effect on the volume capping?

Björn

5. john123

john123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant see why american firmware would make any difference its still the same machine afterall

6. Grey Area

Grey Area

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, with the Minidisc players and the NW-HD-series the volume cap is not a hardware limitation. European and non-European machines are the same physically, they only differ in their settings, which can be changed by entering the service mode.

If the situation is similar for the Vaio Pocket, then replacing the European firmware with the American version could erase the internal volume cap settings. I have read somewhere it works that way for iRiver players.

Of course, if there are hardware differences between European and non-European Vaios, then this won´t help (and might be impossible).

Björn

7. john123

john123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will try the american firmware i cant see any possible risk of killing my vaio pocket

8. john123

john123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe not it warns to only use with american players

im not brave enough

anyone tried the usa firmware?

9. ascaria

ascaria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the returns policy of the vendor you used. The hardware is preety much the same. I would say if you were brave enough to upgrade the firmware to version 3.0 to support mp3 you are brave enough to try the other areas firmwares. I did so with my VGF-AP1L between Japanese and American firmwares and it works just fine. If we assume that the hardware is the same, then the volume cap for european devices should be removed by installing the american version. Hope it helps. :smashin:

10. fedevi

fedevi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone tried the usa firmware?[/QUOTE]

Up...

11. fedevi

fedevi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I try the USA driver: nothing is changed... the volume is low...

12. mercedes500e

mercedes500e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i Tried it, didnt make a difference i havn't tried the MP3's on it though do they need to go into a folder or does it go straight into the root directory?

Dan :cool:

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Works with Creative players, too!