Vaio slow WiFi transfer rate

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by speedymct, Jun 8, 2009.

1. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just got a new Vaio FW31 & the Wifi is incredibly fast when downloading zip files. So much so, that it seems I have a problem with my other laptop, which is a Vaio AR11b.

I downloaded the same zip file to both PC's & the dl speed on my new pc was 16 megs per second, but on my older pc it was only 6!

Does anyone know of a way of troubleshooting the connection speeds? I can't find a difference between setups on the different pc's.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Wifi won't manage 16 megabytes per second, I guess whatever you used to measure speeds was giving readings in megabits instead. I assume you used the same program to test the speed on both (6MB/s is pretty rare for wifi as well, so it's a good probability).

wifi speed is range dependant, were you testing the two laptops in the same place?

A quick search shows your newer laptop probably supports a/b/g/n wifi standards and your older one probably supports a/b/g so if your router supports the faster n standard that could be why the newer laptop is faster. If the wireless cards that come in the two laptops vary or your older one isn't set up correctly then it could also be that the newer one is running on g and the older one is running on b.

3. speedymct

speedymct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry I meant megabits, it was downloading from the internet not across a network. Apologies for not making myself a bit clearer.

Anyhow, after looking around, I was prompted to use a utility called TCP Optimizer (SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads). I backed up my old settings & followed the instructions to optimise my wireless adaptor in the old laptop. It worked extremely well!

Before I used this app, the download speeds were not good considering I have 20meg broadband (youtube videos slow loading, download speeds slow).
    I assumed that it was down to the speed capping by Virgin. Now, however, videos load instantly & downloads are much much faster.

I hope this post helps anyone having similar problems.