Vaio Laptop to Vizio HDTV via HDMi, question...

breakfast

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a sony FW series laptop, which has 1080p. I also have a Vizio p50hdtv 10a plasma TV. I ran my HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV and the problem I am having is that it seems to only allow me to output at 720p. I can see there is an option in the HDMI output to choose 1080p, but it is not available to click and choose. I am wondering whether it is something in the laptop, the TV or the cable. The packaging for the cable says it can run up to 1080p.

I wouldn't mind so much, but when it goes to 720, my laptop screen shifts around and when I unplug the HDMI cable, it goes back to the normal display and the icons are moved around. Hoping someone can help me out!

Hello breakfast

What signals does the Display support via HDMI?

The User Manual will list what each Input supports - if you have multiple HDMI Inputs you may find one of them is designated for PC connectivity.

Joe

Thanks for the response! I am not sure as to what input it supports. I cannot find the manual and the Vizio site is oddly missing the manual in it's support downloads. It has the a similar model (the p50hdtv20a, and not the p50hdtv10a) manual which doesn't mention any particular distinctions among the hdmi inputs. Hopefully I can find it around the house soon.

Also in the manual look for the HDTV display native resolution This is important in that
Your laptop may not have the necessary converter To Scale the signal So the out put resolution needs to match the display native resolution For example My L37 Vizio has a native resolution of 1366 by 766 I believe. Without a converter built into you laptop graphics It will have the resolution set to (example 1366 by 766) it will work.

It is normal for the TV to Flicker to different sizes and such until it stabilizes Its the TV converter kicking in Changing from 720 i 720p 1080i 1080p Also do you have the most current graphics driver?

Set your laptop up as dual screen mirror so you can see on the laptop while you make resolution adjustments have your tv plugged into your laptop and adjust the resolution screen size use the wide screen resolution format options

I can run mine higher because I am using a custom build which has a built in converter to trick the TV into displaying 1920 by 1080 I just cant run it in P mode Truth is I can't tell the difference.

Yes I am currently using my PC through HDMI. mine was made in 2006.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom