• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Vaio FW31E Or HP DV7 2070??

speedymct

Established Member
I'm after a bit of help if possible, as I have about £800 to spand on a new laptop after mine bit the dust, & I'm stuck between 2 models.

Sony Vaio FW31E

HP DV7-2070

Yes I know that PC world isn't the best place to go, but it's an insurance job & I am tied to them or Currys (in other words the same company)

The Vaio is £699 & the HP is £899 so there's obviously a lean towards the Vaio in that respect, But the HP has a slightly larger screen, twice the grapics memory & a faster processor, which explains the price hike.

What I also like about the HP is that it has a spare drive bay so I can expand the storage fairly easily.

However, the thing that's potentially putting me off is that the HP has some fairly terrible reviews for the display quality, & considering that it's probably the single most important thing in a laptop, it's the only stumbling block.

just wondered if anyone can poke me in either direction or has any experience of either machine?

many thanks!!

David2323

Standard Member
I was in a similar dilemna 3 weeks before , finally went for Vaio FW31E and what a disappointment !

First of all does not come with recovery disc , which is still fine , but after a week blue stripes appeared on screedn every 2 mins and finally laptop freezes ! Called up sony support- was asked to do system recovery !!! Gave up after a week , apparently does not boot up in safe mode too !

I have arranged for a refund , waiting for collection !

A

Antonie

In reply to the Sony vs HP7-2070 query. I bought the HP 2070 two weeks ago. I am absolutely delighted with the machine, so much so that I am going to purchase a second one for my other employee. I am pretty computer literate and know what I am talking about as I administer the network for our charity. The 2070 comes with a build-in finger print reader. I have always thought of those as "gizzmo's" but I have found it to be one of the most useful features I have ever had. My horribly expensive Dell XPS laptop ( £2400) does not have one and I find myself using the HP in preference over the XPS !
Do note: the 2070 comes with Vista Home Prem, 64 Bit edition. Allow one day to update the s/w on the machine, it has rafts of it. In short, screen quality is excellent, and re the Norton comment, in my case norton 360 installed like a breeze. Only thing I would have liked is a Blue Ray reader and a decent printed user manual but you can't have it all for 900 pounds.
In summary: I recommend the HP without a single reservation.
Antonie.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom