Vaio FW31E Or HP DV7 2070??

speedymct

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a bit of help if possible, as I have about £800 to spand on a new laptop after mine bit the dust, & I'm stuck between 2 models.

Sony Vaio FW31E

HP DV7-2070

Yes I know that PC world isn't the best place to go, but it's an insurance job & I am tied to them or Currys (in other words the same company)

The Vaio is £699 & the HP is £899 so there's obviously a lean towards the Vaio in that respect, But the HP has a slightly larger screen, twice the grapics memory & a faster processor, which explains the price hike.

What I also like about the HP is that it has a spare drive bay so I can expand the storage fairly easily.

However, the thing that's potentially putting me off is that the HP has some fairly terrible reviews for the display quality, & considering that it's probably the single most important thing in a laptop, it's the only stumbling block.

just wondered if anyone can poke me in either direction or has any experience of either machine?

many thanks!!

I was in a similar dilemna 3 weeks before , finally went for Vaio FW31E and what a disappointment !

First of all does not come with recovery disc , which is still fine , but after a week blue stripes appeared on screedn every 2 mins and finally laptop freezes ! Called up sony support- was asked to do system recovery !!! Gave up after a week , apparently does not boot up in safe mode too !

I have arranged for a refund , waiting for collection !

In reply to the Sony vs HP7-2070 query. I bought the HP 2070 two weeks ago. I am absolutely delighted with the machine, so much so that I am going to purchase a second one for my other employee. I am pretty computer literate and know what I am talking about as I administer the network for our charity. The 2070 comes with a build-in finger print reader. I have always thought of those as "gizzmo's" but I have found it to be one of the most useful features I have ever had. My horribly expensive Dell XPS laptop ( £2400) does not have one and I find myself using the HP in preference over the XPS !
Do note: the 2070 comes with Vista Home Prem, 64 Bit edition. Allow one day to update the s/w on the machine, it has rafts of it. In short, screen quality is excellent, and re the Norton comment, in my case norton 360 installed like a breeze. Only thing I would have liked is a Blue Ray reader and a decent printed user manual but you can't have it all for 900 pounds.
In summary: I recommend the HP without a single reservation.
Antonie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom