Vacuum Cleaner - Dyson?

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by Dancook, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    Our henry just isn't sucking up anymore.. cleaned the filter, still no good. I was never really that impressed when we first had it anyway, always seem to be constantly going over the same spots over and over trying to get fluff out the carpet.

The dyson seems like a popular choice, and a lot of amazon reviews suggest they are good at sucking :)

However the minority suggest otherwise, I wonder if it's a bad experience or the majority just have a low sucking standard..

There's also a lot of models of dyson, which one sucks the most?

Any other vacuum cleaner suggestions?

2. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    You sure it's a vacuum you're after :laugh:

Personally wouldn't buy anything other than a Dyson. When we moved in we bought a cheapo hoover for £30. Lasted 5 minutes. Got a Dyson DC-24 Animal (I think, something along these lines) in Jan 2007 and still as good as new.

3. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    Thanks

;);)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I had bad experiences with early Dysons and went with Miele which has been faultless for 7 years. No doubt Dysons must be a bit better built now considering they come with 5 year warranties.

5. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Why not get your Henry re-furbed?

I bought a Miele after my Vax bit the dust :D. I was chatting to a guy that repairs vacs, he told me that they're all much of a muchness, bag, bag-less doesn't make a lot of difference, he certainly wasn't extolling the virtues of Dyson.

The Miele has been good, I should know I do the vacuuming here not Mrs C.

:rolleyes:

6. SBT

SBT
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,831
    We've had 3 Dysons and they have all broken after a short while.The hose seems to be the weak part of their design.Haven't had one for over a year so maybe they've sorted out the problem?

Now have a Samsung that has just a strong suction,and the hose hasn't broken.

Although all of this is going by what the wife has said,as i never use it :D

7. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,328
    Dyson all the way in our house but thats because Mrs Tones works for them.

If you know what one you are after then drop me a PM and I can see what I can do price wise ;)

8. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    I was never thrilled with it's suction power from new, not sure if it's because it's a new 'economic' model - I always put it on hi-power.

When I was younger, I feel like Henry's were better..

9. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    None of them suck, they are all excellent vacuum cleaners :laugh:. My DC07 from 2004 is still going strong, it looks battered and the stair hose has ripped recently, but some duct tape sorted that out.

The important thing with dysons is that you cut hair off the bottom brush bar regularly. I know a lot of anti dyson people whose hoovers have lasted 6 months- but out of their own sheer laziness of not cutting the hair off!

You should also wash the filters now and again, although the first time I washed mine was after about 5 years of use, when I 'discovered' the filter :rotfl:.

Since you have been used to a 'dog' style vacuum (follows you around) rather than an upright, then a dyson 'city' may suffice for you? That's the tiny one.

10. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    I also wouldn't deviate away from Dyson.
    We have a DC07 we bought recon'd off eBay for £70, it's still going strong and has been retired to the garage for car use.
    We have a DC25 for the house now.
    Performance is brilliant, spares are readily available and easy to fit and after-sales warranty is very good.
    I occasionally take it up to my mums to give her house a good vacuum, her VAX just doesn't pick up like the Dyson.

Our office cleaners still use a 'Henry' out of apparent bloody mindedness.
    I can't believe they can be bothered vacuuming in such a labour intensive manner when pushing an upright Dyson would be so much easier.
    Their loss.

11. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,961
    Had our Dyson DC24(?) for around 8 years now. Still going strong, had to replace 2 hoses in it's life, but not too bad really. We'll replace it with another Dyson once this one carks it - if it ever does?

12. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    I'm stuck between the DC24 and DC25. We have a 3 bed house of moderate size, wondering if DC25 would be worth the extra cost.

I think DC24 will do :) thanks everyone

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  13. SamTrainingHARD

SamTrainingHARD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Dyson all the way, brilliant machine, we also got their hand held and the fan. Flawless

14. SamTrainingHARD

SamTrainingHARD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What's the difference between the 24 & 25?

15. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    24 is a bit smaller, otherwise the same I've read

16. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    +1

we have a miele cat and dog one. powerful as hell. lots of people have moved on from dysons as they break easily. we were recommended this one from my in laws as they had 3 dogs and it was miles better than their old dyson.

17. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Vax Mach Air - Vax U91-MA-P Air Pet Multicyclonic Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Would never go back to a Dyson after this. Got it to replace a Dyson and was amazed at how much more it picked up. Its much lighter, cheaper and comes with a 6 year guarantee. The attachement has a roller brush inside which is powered by the suction so good at picking bits up that normal suction would leave behind.

I bought this on the recommendations from another thread on here some time ago:smashin:

18. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
  19. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    apparently if you buy the up front cover you get loads of extra bags etc every year. might be worth considering. ours could suck a golf ball through a hosepipe.... i knew a lass like that once ;)

20. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    Is the cat+dog one just extra powerful? as I said I don't have pets, but I would like to make it thoroughly clean.. and I don't want to spend all day running over the same patch.

I might be right in thinking the downside is that it's cumbersome - however this probably isn't much of a problem for me... ROAR:)

21. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    you might be able to go with a lesser model. the cat and dog one is super powerful 2800watt maybe? it also has an additional head for removing hairs.

ours isnt cumbersome. its just the same as my old cheapo argos one. it just trails behind you.

22. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,369
    I have always advocated Nilfisk when this question comes up. We've had ours since 1997 (wedding present), and just recently the hose spilt which I've taped up with duct tape for now.

I was listening to a radio show recently and it asked listeners to vote for the best vacumn cleaner. The top 3 were Miele S6220, Nilfisk, and then Henry. Dyson came 4th. The top 3 were then sent to the science dept of Trinity College and they performed all sorts of tests, with the Miele coming out top.

I was in my local electrical shop last week buying a tv and he had all of these in stock, including the Dyson. According to the owner, Nilfisk are now made in China and don't have the same build quality as previous models such as the one I currently have. He also discounted the Henry, saying it's built well and can take abuse (which is why it's widely used in commercial premises), but out of them all offers the least suction.

His preference was the Dyson (not the ball type) over the Miele, despite it being £150 more expensive (£350 v £200). He tried justifying his decision based on the fact it didn't use bags and had a 5yr warranty, but a quick google show's you'd buy a lot of bags for £150.

I'll probably buy the Miele, and move the Nilfisk to the garage for car duties.

23. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    as i said earlier, i think if you get their extended warranty they send you bags and filters ever year. we rarely need to change ours as it compacts stuff into a heavy brick :)

24. SBanga

SBanga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We have the cat/dog version as well but no pets. IIRC it just gives you higher power, more attachments, and better filtration (charcoal filter?) to combat anything pets might shed.

The 5 year warranty does include a shed load of bags every year as well as filters. We still have a surplus 2 years later as the bags hold a lot of dust.

I researched vacuum cleaners thoroughly when I bought it and couldn't find any bad reviews. Which had rated it at the top too.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  25. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    I found it difficult to find stockists of the new S8 series, Amazon sellers were importing them from germany, italy for £200+ delivery.

Miele have an online store but don't sell them, I found them elsewhere for £300 (comet).

Then there was a small selection of places I'd never dealt with before selling the S8310 for £200.. so I went with that. Peter Tyson appliances, phoned them this morning to confirm they had stock, with a little luck i'll get it tomorrow.

26. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,369
    Why did you go for this model over the S6220? I can find loads of excellent reviews for the S6220, but very little for the S8310 due to it being a newer model.

27. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    I wasn't so keen on the design of older Miele, the new S8 range had me convinced.

There is a new Cat+Dog model too S8320 - I assumed a new model would improve on it. S6220 would be a series 6? So I assume there was another cat+dog series 7.

There is also very little difference between the S8310, S8320 and S8330. I went with the S8310 because of the combined availability and price.

I think I will be happy with the vacuum cleaner nonetheless, fingers crossed!

28. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,369
    I haven't come across a 7 series, though I've only been an expert on vacuum cleaners in the last couple of days :D.

Let me know how you get on as I'm in the market for one.

29. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    Gave the house a ruddy good clean today, the vacuum did me proud :)

The metal extendible house tube helps with doing the stairs, and then at max reach I could reach the ceilings above the stairs too. Using one of the accessories I did a good job of the ceiling corners and so forth.

It can lift the carpet up with it's suction if you want it to, I had no problems with not being able to get up fluff.

I think the HEPA version, more expensive, is specifically designed for allergies.. maybe it would have been better for me - as it kicks out a lot of air and I was sneezing and running for tissue constantly...

30. liamt

liamt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,488
    possibly. i tend to get all sneezy around dust but never had that from our miele. it does boot some heat out though sometimes. and the dog is scared sh*tless of it. love her irrational fear.