Vacuum + bag + Wii = dust begone?

eclectic-me-do

Standard Member
Reaction score
I was browsing a gaming Forum t'other day when I saw that someone had solved their disc reading error woes with the following method:

insert Wii in plastic bag, hold vacuum tube in 'mouth' of bag to create a seal and switch vacuum on for a few seconds.

It seems the idea is that the bag creates a vacuum so that the vacuum cleaner sucks out the dust from inside the Wii.

Now I've never done this with anything before but as long as it's only done for a few seconds surely it can't hurt?

However can any of you AV ninjas give me some good advice on this please? I'd rather get some advice from people who actually do know what they're talking about than plough ahead in ignorance and bork my Wii. Thanks in advance.

i dont see why it would work... though getting a can of air and blasting that through it first may shirt a lot of the dust particles and then do it, that'd probably work...

cant say first hand though, havent even got a wii... yet!

I have read stranger things.

How to Fix a Physically Broken Hard Drive

3. Hold the drive in one hand and firmly "spin" it back and forth whilst listening for any noises as you do so. If you can't hear any noise, a likely cause, especially if you have an older drive, or one which ran very hot to the touch, is a seized head bearing/spindle and the following steps can be considered:
Pre-heat a domestic oven at its lowest setting for five minutes or so, disconnect the heat and place the drive in the oven for 2-5 mins... your aiming for comfort to the touch.

Post a link to the thread.

Yeah, please do. My Wii has problems reading discs sometimes (although only certain games oddly) and, although no disc read errors thus far, I'm worried it's going to conk out at some point. It's well over a year old now so I assume if it does break I can't send it back to Nintendo for repair.

Yeah, please do. My Wii has problems reading discs sometimes (although only certain games oddly) and, although no disc read errors thus far, I'm worried it's going to conk out at some point. It's well over a year old now so I assume if it does break I can't send it back to Nintendo for repair.

As far as I'm aware, Nintendo charge £35 for any out-of-warranty repairs (as long as you haven't modded your console in any way)......which I think is a good bit of value actually :)

As far as I'm aware, Nintendo charge £35 for any out-of-warranty repairs (as long as you haven't modded your console in any way)......which I think is a good bit of value actually :)

I'll be able to tell you for definite soon .. .. .. .. I've just filled out the dreaded online repair request form .. .. .. although I'm tempted to try the vacuum method before sending it off .. .. ..

Putting it in a bag is going to achieve very little - you need air flowing to move dust, etc - a vacuum on it's own is irrelevant.

If you seal a bag around it with the mouth of the bag taped round a vacuum tube, and the other side of the wii open, it might work - but I don't know how the air will get into the Wii - not really inspected any vents myself.

At your own risk, etc etc.

Oh really? That's not a bad actually. Thanks, I can rest a bit easier now. I was worried that if it broke now I would have to buy a new one and lose all my VC games to boot.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom