1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VA555ES LFE Settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Johndm, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Now got my VA555ES setup somewhere near correct.
    LFE level fine with DVD movies and CD etc, with sub volume set to about half (on sub).

However, when playing DVD-A using multi channel direct line in phono connections, sub level is far too low.
    Tried raising sub channel output level from DVD player without success......any ideas? Bit of a pain having to adjust sub volume just for DVD-A

2. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I've set the 555ES up to be 'perfect' for films.

When it comes to playing DVD-Audio or SACD from the Pioneer 656a I also found the SW channel to be lacking in most cases as well.

The Pioneer 656a does allow adjustment of the sound leaving via the analogues (without affecting the digital outputs), so I've boosted the SW channel by +6.

So, if I'm watching a DVD-Video, the audio comes over the digital coax connection to the 555ES and the sound is just right. If I'm listening to DVD-Audio or SACD, that arrives at the 555ES over the 6 analogue inputs, that also sounds just right as well (using Multi Channel 1 Direct).

If you cannot make these adjustments on the DVD player, I guess all you can do is adjust on the 555ES.

I used to do this before I got the Pioneer 656. Simply go to Level, find Sub Woofer and boost by +6. When watching films just reduce back to 0. It is a pain to have to do it, but easier then having to change the gain on the sub itself.

Mind you, cracking excuse to get a different DVD player :smashin:

Now if the 555ES has different Levels settings for each input (e.g. DVD/LD, CD/SACD, VIDEO1 etc.) then you would be laughing.

Cheers

Ian

3. WhiskyCorner

WhiskyCorner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a STRVA555ES expert, I hope you may be able to help answer a question I have.

I run a Sony DVPNS999ES through my STRVA555ES to 10 Sony Tan55ES power amps (yes, I know its excessive - but the sound is sublime). I was using an old sony CRT widescreen TV for visuals, but this recently gave up the ghost, and was promptly replaced by the new 40 inch Sony Bravia W series LCD.

Here is where the problems begin - while sound and vision were perfectly synchronised with the old TV, the image on the new LCD lags slightly behind the sound through the STRVA555ES - very annoying to watch!

Is there some way I can slow the STRVA555ES output down a fraction to re-synch sound & vision?

Any assistence greatly received,
    All the Best,
    John

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi there....

As far as I'm aware, the 555ES has no sound delay settings..:thumbsdow

I briefly had a Panny LCD with no problems, but now run a Panny Plasma, again with no probs.

Maybe your Bravia is a little slower processing the picture than the Pannys?

Think you need to contact Sony?

Cheers,

John

:hiya:

PS, are you running the newer software on the 555? There were DTS problems with the original software, but not sure if any other bugs were corrected in the newer version