VA vs IPS for HDR

Kratos88

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked up a sony 55inch XE7073 model since it has the VA panel.

Every review I have read has mentioned about the HDR being okay but not the best for the xe70, but Since the reviewers have tested the IPS only models surely the VA panel would show a much better HDR picture due to the much superior black levels and contrast?

Every VA panel review I see on rtings seems to be more positive than IPS panels for HDR.

I picked up a sony 55inch XE7073 model since it has the VA panel.

Every review I have read has mentioned about the HDR being okay but not the best for the xe70, but Since the reviewers have tested the IPS only models surely the VA panel would show a much better HDR picture due to the much superior black levels and contrast?

Every VA panel review I see on rtings seems to be more positive than IPS panels for HDR.
I have one,perfectly happy with the HDR,gotta have it on vivid though.The rtings test of this set used the ips panel that the set used in America.

I have one,perfectly happy with the HDR,gotta have it on vivid though.The rtings test of this set used the ips panel that the set used in America.

Yeah thats the first place i went to for reviews was rtings, every review of the xe70 seemed IPS. The only 2017 VA model rtings actually reviewed was the x690e and got a great score which is making me think our 7073 will pretty similar to that model. Its strange how the models work between uk and us.

Yeah i’ve been tinkering about with hdr for a good while! vivd does look really good but can look a bit over saturated for me also quite a bit more input lag for hdr games, after messing around with video hdr mode, it looks decent enough.

Yeah thats the first place i went to for reviews was rtings, every review of the xe70 seemed IPS. The only 2017 VA model rtings actually reviewed was the x690e and got a great score which is making me think our 7073 will pretty similar to that model. Its strange how the models work between uk and us.

Yeah i’ve been tinkering about with hdr for a good while! vivd does look really good but can look a bit over saturated for me also quite a bit more input lag for hdr games, after messing around with video hdr mode, it looks decent enough.
The biggest problem I have is the lack of HDR game mode that the 2015/16 sets had,I still use HDR for gaming as my base model PS4 looks washed out and awful when in game mode on this TV (unless I de activate HDR on the console),several people on the dedicated thread have also noted this.

you can push the contrast and brightess a bit more with vivid mode but with video mode, you cant push it as much and if you do the clouds ect in the sky just wash out

Last edited:
have you got it set to automatic in the ps4 display settings?

YUV420 is the best settingfor hdr but leaving it on automatic it jumps to YUV422 for most games I played.

I think hdr is suppose to give you more of a life like colour feel, we’re all used to the vibrant punchy pictures, I like the natural looking colours in all honesty.
Yes,set to auto,it's only happened with this TV to,it's almost like HDR and game mode are incompatible like I said,if I turn off HDR on the console and activate game mode on the TV it looks spot on,not a hassle though as I use HDR vivid in game mode and just turn off the processing and tinker with the settings a bit and it looks spot on.

Yes,set to auto,it's only happened with this TV to,it's almost like HDR and game mode are incompatible like I said,if I turn off HDR on the console and activate game mode on the TV it looks spot on,not a hassle though as I use HDR vivid in game mode and just turn off the processing and tinker with the settings a bit and it looks spot on.

awh yeah sorry misread your last post! deleted my comment haha I thought I read that hdr looks washed out my bad sorry.

Yeah game mode does look really bad lol no matter what settings you change it looks washed out and grey!. does have very nice input lag though.

what kind of games do you play?

Bf1 and c.o.d ww2,sold the rest,once I complete them they go,even GTA v as the kids kept finding it and putting it on lol.

Hi

IPS and get Contrast "below" 1000!!!
Year 2018 and IPSs still 800-100 Contrast ratio!
come on pls

Correct pic.quality>>IPS
Black&General>>VA

You have to be listed your criterias????
Than make a selection but in anyhow you got or lost somethings as well

Hi

IPS and get Contrast "below" 1000!!!
Year 2018 and IPSs still 800-100 Contrast ratio!
come on pls

Correct pic.quality>>IPS
Black&General>>VA

You have to be listed your criterias????
Than make a selection but in anyhow you got or lost somethings as well

IPS used to have better response times than VA, but this is not no longer the case.

For contrast ratio VA will always win due to the tech involved, as the chevron shape of IPS let's more light out from the back-light than VA.

For example there are some IPS models which can achieve 1500:1 like the 49" SJ810V.

The LG SK850 with FALD should achieve 2500:1 in 2018, Panasonic also as they are using the LG Nano Cell panels.

So one day there could be an IPS tv with a contrast ratio nearer to VA.

IPS / PLS are good for viewing angles but have poorer picture quality overall, then you have RGBW as well in the mix from LG which just softens the picture compared to RGB.

Due to the way they are made they are also more prone to screen uniformity and dirty screen effect issues than VA, but this all depends on QC as well from each manufacturer on a unit by unit basis, as we have seen instances of VA panels like the EX700 being reviewed with vertical banding issues.

So one day there could be an IPS tv with a contrast ratio nearer to VA.

"one day" sit and wait
but no way to catch! VAs go fast 4/5k

so no need to compare for "contrast" >>IPS vs VA

DSE issues;IPS still worse(might be better than yesterday)

In fact all of those panels(TV)a lot of issues! even OLED latest&high tech!
pay lot of bucks and you still need "chance"!! "panel lottary" another story(issue as well!)

Meanwhile I'v two panel VA(Samsung SPVA) and IPS(LGD)
Awesome PQ both! no any LAG! one is FALD(its real-not fake!) even you do not need any
mode/set etc., settings for Movies/Gaming etc.,

So I'm still "afraid" to buy a new panel! and still use those oldies but its really goodie as well

Bye++

Upping this topic, I would like to understand this:

Which is better: IPS panel with Direct light or VA with Edge-Led?

Which is better: IPS panel with Direct light or VA with Edge-Led?

Direct-lit and Edge-lit TVs rarely have the same arrangement of dimming zones so the implied 'all else being equal' doesn't really hold in that situation. If it did then I'd expect the VA panel to have the edge.

Neither are particularly important factors for HDR though, the big hardware differences there are how much contrast the local dimming system can produce in a variety of real world scenes and how well the colour gamut is maintained at higher brightnesses.

Direct-lit and Edge-lit TVs rarely have the same arrangement of dimming zones so the implied 'all else being equal' doesn't really hold in that situation. If it did then I'd expect the VA panel to have the edge.

Neither are particularly important factors for HDR though, the big hardware differences there are how much contrast the local dimming system can produce in a variety of real world scenes and how well the colour gamut is maintained at higher brightnesses.

Thanks for the answer, I think you replied approprietey, however I did not understand much :D

SO, at the end, if you have to choose, what do you consider better:

a VA panel with edge
a IPS with direct

Straightforwardly ;)

Thanks for the answer, I think you replied approprietey, however I did not understand much :D

a VA panel with edge
a IPS with direct

Straightforwardly ;)
It depends on whether the model has dimming zones. The XE70 does not have any dimming zones so in this case an edge with VA panel would be better than direct with IPS.
Edge VA without dimming vs IPS with dimming zones you would get more HDR effect with the IPS model.
And when both have dimming it will also matter how many zones.

(Sorry for semplification):
Therefore a VA with direct and local dimming would be the TOP.
But does it exist on the market such tv? :)

a VA panel with edge
a IPS with direct

Straightforwardly ;)

To give you an analogy you're asking:

I want a fast car, should I choose an estate with a 1.5L engine or a hatchback with a 1.6L engine?

Both factors do have a bit of an effect on speed, but the important factors are things like like horsepower and weight.

A lightweight twin turbocharged Renault Alpine hatchback is going to blow a eco version of a Mondeo or 5-series out of the water, and vice versa is the estate is much more powerful.

'VA with edge-lit backlight' covers everything from a high end TV like last year's XE93, to a bottom of the range model. As you'd expect the former is pretty good at HDR, while the latter can't display anything beyond SDR.

(Sorry for semplification):
Therefore a VA with direct and local dimming would be the TOP.
But does it exist on the market such tv? :)

All the high end LCDs on the market use that arrangement, so Sony's ZF9 and XE90, and Samsung's Q9FN and Q8DN.

Very useful answers, thanks.
So for the top configuration , we need to spend thousands £ ..
For £ 600-700 , we find different configurations, as IPS with Edge, and VA with direct, as most commons..

Good answers. ;) it depends!

Generally a TV set is set to perform to a price point, so you should 'get what you pay for'.
Within each price point there are lots of variables, panel type being one, things like refresh rate and response time, backlight (type, dimming, brightness), processor and processing, inputs and connectivity, viewing angles, material construction, colour volume coverage (by filter quality or other means), and on and on the list goes.
What is important for one use may be irrelevant for another, someone might want wide viewing angles and always-on news feed in a brightly lit environment, someone else might want to watch movies in the dark, and people want an easy to use screen to show cartoons on a Saturday morning at a viewing distance of less than one metre. All these different technologies are good for different people.

Whilst it is possible to make generalisations, they are not completely accurate in all cases. With it being a really interesting time in terms of what is in development, such as the nanocell and electro-emissive quantum dots, and oled of course.

I do not understand the 'thin' trend, sure if you're wall-mounting that wallpaper tv is great! If it's on a stand why do so many people care about a couple of mm? It's the same with phones, I prefer a bigger battery and better antenna performance, but history shows us that fashionable thinness is what sells...

Good answers. ;) it depends!

Generally a TV set is set to perform to a price point, so you should 'get what you pay for'.
Within each price point there are lots of variables, panel type being one, things like refresh rate and response time, backlight (type, dimming, brightness), processor and processing, inputs and connectivity, viewing angles, material construction, colour volume coverage (by filter quality or other means), and on and on the list goes.
What is important for one use may be irrelevant for another, someone might want wide viewing angles and always-on news feed in a brightly lit environment, someone else might want to watch movies in the dark, and people want an easy to use screen to show cartoons on a Saturday morning at a viewing distance of less than one metre. All these different technologies are good for different people.

Whilst it is possible to make generalisations, they are not completely accurate in all cases. With it being a really interesting time in terms of what is in development, such as the nanocell and electro-emissive quantum dots, and oled of course.

I do not understand the 'thin' trend, sure if you're wall-mounting that wallpaper tv is great! If it's on a stand why do so many people care about a couple of mm? It's the same with phones, I prefer a bigger battery and better antenna performance, but history shows us that fashionable thinness is what sells...

Yes, what you said is obvious, however it is my fault as I have written in another topic what I am looking for and not here, so you couldn't know ;)

50", VA Panel is preferred , good color gamut, and with Android tv even better (other S.O. are affected by flash content of streaming, whilst Android tv offer all apps I need for streaming...)

and there is another panel called OLED. They claim individual pixels can turn on/off. It can barely do 900 nits but somehow manages to win TV shootouts on most aspects of picture quality including HDR thanks to bluish whites lol. Just saying...:D

At the end, which can be considered better toward brightness and contrast?
Va Direct or Va Edge-led?

At the end, which can be considered better toward brightness and contrast?
Va Direct or Va Edge-led?

FALD is considered the best, but sometimes Edge sets can outperform FALD for local dimming as was the case with Sony's 2017 range of sets.

Direct LED is a cheap backlight module and should be avoided, local dimming is a disaster.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom