VA or IPS?

DS3Player

Hi all,

I was asking in another thread about this but wanted to put it here.

I picked up a Philips 55pus7304 this week, knowing it was IPS, it has some minor backlight bleed (not as bad as I have seen, but it is there) with a small part on the screen itself rather than from the edges.

With light sensor/ ambilight on it negates it somewhat.

I was considering returning it but seemingly I won't likely get a better version if I swap due to backlight issues/ ips glow.

Therefore, my only other option is VA panel however on the basis of how my lounge is laid out there are some chairs which are at 45 degree angle with only a small section being central and/ or within 20-30 degrees.

Hence, any point in me changing or would the improved contrast/ backlight be seriously worth it for those sitting within 30 degrees?

Usage is tv shows, 4k uhd discs (mainly stuff like blue planet etc. but some films) and ps4 pro

Thanks for the advice/ help

zeppelino

How important are the wide angle seats? Are they used a lot? Are the people using them actually watching tv and would they notice lower picture quality?

PC57

The Samsung Q80R that I've just bought is VA but the colours and picture are good to 60 deg.+ and there's still plenty of colour at 80 deg!
The Q60 and Q70 don't have the wide viewing.

rupert81

Hi all,

I was asking in another thread about this but wanted to put it here.

I picked up a Philips 55pus7304 this week, knowing it was IPS, it has some minor backlight bleed (not as bad as I have seen, but it is there) with a small part on the screen itself rather than from the edges.

With light sensor/ ambilight on it negates it somewhat.

I was considering returning it but seemingly I won't likely get a better version if I swap due to backlight issues/ ips glow.

Therefore, my only other option is VA panel however on the basis of how my lounge is laid out there are some chairs which are at 45 degree angle with only a small section being central and/ or within 20-30 degrees.

Hence, any point in me changing or would the improved contrast/ backlight be seriously worth it for those sitting within 30 degrees?

Usage is tv shows, 4k uhd discs (mainly stuff like blue planet etc. but some films) and ps4 pro

Thanks for the advice/ help
There is no harm in sending it back if you're unhappy, try another one. I had a philips its in the bedroom for years without the glow. Even now it's replacement is a Panasonic with ips and no glow.

Dodgexander

There are VA type panels with backlight bleed too, just your chances are a lot better with them. Are you sure the Philips is IPS? They have models with both VA and IPS and yours may be one of them.

rupert81

Easy way to tell is the viewing angles, most VA tvs lose saturation at about 30 degrees off centre. Panasonic ones more like 20! IPS do lose contrast off angle but the colours should remain saturated.

Dodgexander

If you sit within 30 degrees its not really important at all.

But you should know for certain what panel type is on your current TV. Just because it has poor screen uniformity doesn't mean its necessarily an IPS type panel.

Philips may be using IPS on one specimen, VA on the next on the same exact model tv.

desinho

There are VA type panels with backlight bleed too, just your chances are a lot better with them. Are you sure the Philips is IPS? They have models with both VA and IPS and yours may be one of them.

Pretty certain the Philips 55" this year will be IPS only, they have a 58" version for VA panels (though you probably shouldn't use 'certain' when it comes to panels 😅. In this case iirc they've mentioned it themselves).

Last edited:

DS3Player

Yes defo ips panel on my TV.

Screen uniformity seems OK on it with the YouTube video test. Weighing up swapping to the hisense u7b 65 inch. Any advice?

Dodgexander

Yes defo ips panel on my TV.

Screen uniformity seems OK on it with the YouTube video test. Weighing up swapping to the hisense u7b 65 inch. Any advice?
I think it depends what you value. The Hisense will have a lot better blacks and contrast so better suited to watching in dark viewing environments. It still lacks local dimming so screen uniformity won't be perfect but it should be a lot better than a TV with an IPS panel.

If you bought the Philips and paid around £700, you overpaid for how much TV you get for the money so I'd certainly say the Hisense will be better. Since you can go up a screen size, even more the better.

Dodgexander

Thanks doge, what about Panasonic 58gx800, is that worth £800?
No, much the same as the Philips you have, its priced too high. You can see that by comparing the price of the 65" GX800 and 65" Hisense U7B which are similar spec. What lets the Panasonic down is motion as its only using a 60hz panel, even when the price comes down TVs like the Hisense U8B and Samsung RU8000 will be better options. The Hisense U8B especially should be quite an improvement with HDR.

There's only a couple of things the Panasonic has going for it and that's both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ HDR format support together with good picture accuracy. The Hisense models have Dolby Vision but not HDR10+ and have good, but not very good accuracy. The Samsung is the other way round with just HDR10+ support and no Dolby Vision.

All TVs will support playing the basic HDR10 layer of every format.

DS3Player

I'm going to take the Philips back tomorrow, backlight seems to have gotten worse in the few times I've used it

My options for change are as follows

Sony 55xf9005 for £799
Hisense 65 u7b for £647
Lg 55sk9500 for £699

Which one of these would be the best option?

I can accommodate a 65 screen fine, we previously had a 43 so 55 seems big too

Thanks

Dodgexander

So u7b 65 for £660 is a good price?
Hisense 65 u7b for £647
For this time of year its a good price yes, a lot better than models from other manufacturers.

Seems Hisense are the only manufacturer not to inflate their prices so much on release. They already had the B series on sale at Costco.

Sony 55xf9005 for £799
The first and cheapest TV you can find with good HDR performance, very good buy.
Lg 55sk9500 for £699
A TV suited if you want to retain wide viewing angles from an IPS type panel but want the very best IPS technology has to offer in terms of blacks and contrast due to its local dimming. Will still fall short with deep blacks and contrast even against a TV with a VA panel without local dimming, but screen uniformity will be a lot better than a TV with an IPS panel without good local dimming.

As what size to go for, bigger is usually better, especially if you want to notice more a difference between when you watch poor quality content and good quality content. There are a couple of scenarios going smaller can be better, one of which is you can get a better quality TV that can display HDR to a good standard, the other is that a smaller TV will show less imperfections in poorer quality content, but of course since its smaller, you won't benefit as much from higher quality content (apart from HDR with the Sony XF9005 in this case).

Sorry if the reply is too late, I have been unable to reply the past few days.

Skyehammer

Where can you buy a 55" Sony XF900F for £799 ??

p.s. Apologies , misread , thought it was XF9005 - too early for my brain .

Dodgexander

Where can you buy a 55" Sony XF900F for £799 ??

TV pricing is very unstable, its normal for it to be reduced one week, then not the next. Buying is just as much about buying at the right time as it is choosing the right model.

Good thing is that Sony seem to be continuing with the XF9005 production on 55" and over, so hopefully this kind of discount will be more common.

Skyehammer

Thanks , Dodge - so I hadn't made a mistake ?
Nearest Costco to me is Aberdeen and you have to join up , own a business or something don't you ?

Just looked at Richer Sounds for the B8 and ' it's no longer available ' - He who hesitates etc .
Their Voucher system is also gone , must have been a weekend promotion .

Sony XF9005 or Panasonic FZ802B now on my shortlist .

Dodgexander

Made a mistake with what?

If you aren't eligible for a membership or you don't want to visit the store then its probable that Richer or John Lewis. Richer had the TV for £900 last month and again back in July so its probable it will drop there again: Sony Bravia KD-55XF9005 (TVs)

If another store reduces the price and offers a 5 year warranty the likes of richer and john lewis will price match.

The LG B8 is still available here LG OLED55B8S 55" OLED TV B8 | Crampton and Moore but the price has gone up a little bit. It was at one point less than a £1000.

You can look at the price graph history on pricespy to see the changes.

Skyehammer

I thought the XF900F was some other telly altogether but it turned out it was the XF9005 all along - that's what I was talking about - take no notice of me .
Yes , I was looking at the Crampton and Moore site , they'll deliver to Elgin for a price , they're also pretty competitive - they've got an E8 for sale too at £250 more , would that be worth considering over the B8 with its Alpha 9 processor ? Found a Q9FN I'm considering too - if I should ?

Dodgexander

The E8 generally isn't worth the premium, you pay for better built in sound and a slightly better picture processor. If you want a TV that has better than average sound though its a good option.

Q9FN is a TV suited more for someone who wants to use lots and lots of HDR, its very good with HDR content like the OLEDs but not as good for everything else. If you are planning to still watch a lot of non-HDR content its better to stick with an OLED.

Skyehammer

Thanks , Dodge - HDR isn't high up on my TV Totem pole , in fact I probably have never watched any HDR programmes - if I had I wouldn't notice the effect on my old SEG TV .

Trending threads

Top Bottom