VA 50 inch tv for bedroom

pauljb1

Standard Member
Hi again. I am still on the hunt for a tv. I am considering spending about 400 for a bedroom tv. I have read through the forms and dodges best TV’s. I am not sure about a Hisense due to the software and also I have heard reliability can be an issue.

I had bought a song xg8396 from the refurb centre but got a call days later to say they had no stock left so I missed that. So on the hunt again.

I am aware tv lines are changing soon so not sure if I should wait for a deal over Easter?
Currently I am looking at the Samsung ru7470 which is meant to have superior uhd dimming compare to 7400. Also I know dodge has mentioned all 50 are VA panels so was interested in the LG um7600, it is direct LED so would that give better pictures. Although not sure how the LG handles motion but have heard it is good for software.
What are people’s thought on this or should I wait and try and get a bargain maybe a Q70r for 600 or is that wishful thinking prices like that?

Dodgexander

All the 50" models perform the same, be them from Hisense, TCL, Philips, Samsung or LG.

The difference between the cheapest 50" and the most expensive is so small and largely irrelevant that its not justified spending more money. Get the cheapest one with the features/smart TV you want best.

Direct/Edge lighting makes no difference at this end of the market.

If you plan to use HDR on the TV you need upper mid range or higher, so at 50" that would be at least the Sony XG9005 or Samsung Q70R. These both are higher tier TVs than the Sony XG83 you bought, the Sony XG83 still not making the mark for HDR.

pauljb1

Standard Member
Do you think it is likely that any of these hdr capable models will come down in price significantly wirh the changing of lines from 2019 to 2020?

For the 50 inch which of the Samsung 7470, 7600 LG, Panasonic 700b or Phillips 82 would you pick?

thanks

Dodgexander

Do you think it is likely that any of these hdr capable models will come down in price significantly wirh the changing of lines from 2019 to 2020?
Not by a significant amount. TVs like the new Samsung Q70T might end up being cheaper than the Q70R but that is only because it has worse local dimming.

Part of the reasons many manufacturers have stopped making high end LCD TVs is because its very expensive, and usually not worth it for them to make them at smaller sizes.

Manufacturers like Philips and Panasonic focus their high end only on OLEDs now.

For the 50 inch which of the Samsung 7470, 7600 LG, Panasonic 700b or Phillips 82 would you pick?
I couldn't pick between any of these so would base my decision on

1. Smart TV. Which platform do you want the most? Most people laud LGs smart TV. Samsung isn't bad either. Panasonic is so-so and the Philips runs Android which whilst letting run lots of apps, is probably the least desired smart TV system.
2. Features. Does one TV come with Bluetooth or a Satellite tuner that you need, for example? Does one TV have a remote control you prefer over the other?
3. Aesthetics and design. Does one TV have a stand you prefer, or aesthetics you like?
4. HDMI ports. Do you need 3 or 4?
5. Warranty and Price. Get the best package in terms of length of warranty and price. See: General Buying Tips with so much competition between all these models there's little reason not to buy one that comes with a 5-6 year warranty.

As I said, no one TV is better than the next when it comes to picture quality which is why the cheapest Hisense models are listed in my guide. There's little reason to spend more money. More money doesn't equal better picture quality until you reach lower mid range or upper mid range models in the guide.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom