V6 Video Output Settings.

mors

Established Member
Reaction score
Had V6 installed last week,just wondering what Video Output Settings others are using?My Sony 75X9405 would be better at upscaling. I currently have everything ticked which is obviously wrong.I signed up for Netflix's free trial last week and some of their content looks fantastic.I am getting full resolution as 3840/2160 appears in corner of screen when detected.Just wondering exactly what others have ticked?

I've got everything ticked, I think. The telly can do the upscaling...

Thanks I'll just leave as I have it then.

My V6 outputs 2160 to my Denon AVR-X4500H, which outputs to my Sony 55” tv. Picture looks great! :thumbsup:

Our V6 box is connected to a 1080p TV, so it's set to that resolution.

I’ve tried to set the V6 to pass through whatever the content originally is ,if the program is 576 then to output 576. and let the TV do the upscaling , the picture looks better to that way to me, but although there are boxes to tick to allow this setting it’s only a short time before the V6 box crashes, I believe it’s a bug in the V6 software
I’ve not tried this setting recently so I don’t know if it’s been fixed ,when I rang virgin about the issue they didn’t seem to understand the problem

The V6 has no passthrough mode or ability and its scaler is always in effect. The scaler will always revert to the highest option selected regardless of the native resolution it detects. Contrary to this, also note that the 1080i and 1080p options mysteriously overrides the 2160p option so if you want access to 4K then you've to deselect all the other settings and only leave the 2160p and/or the 2160p passthrough options selected.

The passthrough options relate to frame rates other than 50hz (24/25/30 fps for example) that you'd encounter using streaming services such as netflix and the 1080p and the 2160p passthrough options are not applicable to conventional TV broadcasts that are broadcast with a frame rate of 50Hz.

If you've all of the options selected then the most you'd get is 1080p in association with what the box outputs in relation to TV broadcasts. The box would not output anything with a lower resolution at its native resolution and would scale everything up to 1080p. If you deselect all options apart from the topmost 2160p option then the box will scale everything up to 2160p irrespective of what the native resolution of the content is. Take note of the aforementioned caveate associated with using the 2160p option and remember that the V6 will only ever output 4K if only this setting is selected!

EDIT The V6 has subsequently been updated since this post and thread were originally posted and the issues being discussed have since been addressed and rectified. The box can now be configured so that it outputs native resolutions without any upscaling being applied. See here:

Last edited:
I've got everything ticked, I think. The telly can do the upscaling...

If you've selected all the options then the V6 is output 1080p irrespective of the native resolution. The options do not enable passthrough, but determine what the V6 scales everything to.

EDIT The V6 has subsequently been updated since this post and thread were originally posted and the issues being discussed have since been addressed and rectified. The box can now be configured so that it outputs native resolutions without any upscaling being applied. See here:

Last edited:
I’ve tried to set the V6 to pass through whatever the content originally is ,if the program is 576 then to output 576. and let the TV do the upscaling , the picture looks better to that way to me, but although there are boxes to tick to allow this setting it’s only a short time before the V6 box crashes, I believe it’s a bug in the V6 software
I’ve not tried this setting recently so I don’t know if it’s been fixed ,when I rang virgin about the issue they didn’t seem to understand the problem

The only way to make the V6 output 576i is if that is the only option you select. This would scale native resolution above this down to 576i. You are not enabling the box to pass 576i through if you select this option, you are telling it to scale everything to this. If also selecting a higher resolution option as well as the 576i option then the V6 will use the higher resolution option and will still not passthrough native 576i encoded video.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to relate the exact resolution options that they've selected then I'd be happy to post what the box will be outputting in response to those settings.

If anyone wants to relate the exact resolution options that they've selected then I'd be happy to post what the box will be outputting in response to those settings.
Just checked on my v6 box, with 1080p and 2160p checked on bt sport 4K channel and virgin 4K channel, my Panasonic shows 2160p and on the other channels 1080p

Just checked on my v6 box, with 1080p and 2160p checked on bt sport 4K channel and virgin 4K channel, my Panasonic shows 2160p and on the other channels 1080p

Virgin Media do appear to have addressed the issues highlighted in my initial post and the V6 does now appear to differentiate between native 4K and 1080i channels/video. I would note that the box still isn;t passing through content unadulterated though and the 1080p option is actually deinterlacing the 1080i HD video ordinarlly associated with most/all HD TV channels distributed by Virgin Media.

People should now also ignore what I said relating to the lower settings such as 576i for example. If you had both the 1080i and the 576i options simultaneously selected then the V6 would now passthrough SD channels with their native 576i resolution and HD channels at their native 1080i resolution.

I'm very surprised that Virgin backed down and actually went away and addressed this issue. They were quite adamant that nothing needed amending when intially faced with customers complaining about the box forcefully upscaling everything and its bizarre behaviour when selecting lower resolutions as well as the 2160p options.

Virgin Media do appear to have addressed the issues highlighted in my initial post and the V6 does now appear to differentiate between native 4K and 1080i channels/video. I would note that the box still isn;t passing through content unadulterated though and the 1080p option is actually deinterlacing the 1080i HD video ordinarlly associated with most/all HD TV channels distributed by Virgin Media.

People should now also ignore what I said relating to the lower settings such as 576i for example. If you had both the 1080i and the 576i options simultaneously selected then the V6 would now passthrough SD channels with their native 576i resolution and HD channels at their native 1080i resolution.

I'm very surprised that Virgin backed down and actually went away and addressed this issue. They were quite adamant that nothing needed amending when intially faced with customers complaining about the box forcefully upscaling everything and its bizarre behaviour when selecting lower resolutions as well as the 2160p options.
With 1080i checked this also comes through ok. Still playing with the settings to find the best for up scaling on the Panasonic.

With 1080i checked this also comes through ok. Still playing with the settings to find the best for up scaling on the Panasonic.

Yeah, you'd get the native interlaced 1080 video ordinarilly associated with the HD channels and feeds that Virgin get. I don't think Virgin are supplied any HD channels feeds (native 1080p) that use native 1080p? The V6 would deinterlace any interlaced video if opting to use any of the progressive options apart from the passthrough 1080p and the 2160p options which relate to content with frame rates of 24, 25 and 30 fps. Such content will not be available via conventional TV channels which are all 50Hz in the UK. The progressive passthrough option relate to content you'd associate with and access via streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Video and YouTube.

If you select the 1080p option then the V6 would do the deinterlacing of the video associated with TV channels. All flat panel TVs deinterlace interlaced video anyway and they cannot display interlaced video. Whether the V6 makes a better job of it than your TV is debatable.

What's the best output setting for SD channels , specifically BBC local news,on a 4k tv ?

What's the best output setting for SD channels , specifically BBC local news,on a 4k tv ?

I guess it depends upon the TV and the TV's own scaling capabilities? TRy outputting the SD channels at their native 576i resolution to see whether or not this makes any difference to having only the V6 box's 2160p option selected. If it doesn't then the TV is making as good as if not better job of the scaling.

Don't expect miracles in either instance though. Whichever device is scaling the native video, being scaled up to 2160p was originally only 576i in nature.

If you want to dimply passthrough video irrespective of which channel you are watching then select the following:

576i
1080i
1080p 24, 25. 30 fps passthrough
2160p 24, 25. 30 fps passthrough
2160p

If you were to omit the 576i option then the SD channels would be scaled up to the next highest option selected (1080i for example).

Last edited:
I selected every option.Watching BBC1 and unticked the 576i option and the improvement on the SD channel is very noticeable.
Cheers

I selected every option.Watching BBC1 and unticked the 576i option and the improvement on the SD channel is very noticeable.
Cheers

In this instance and if using a 4K TV then you'd be using both the V6 and the TV to scale the SD video. The next highest resolution selected on the V6 would be what the V6 scales the video to and the TV would then scale this to the TV's panel resolution of 2160p.

I'd not select the 576p, 720p or the 1080p options on the V6. Virgin Media do not cnvey any channels that have a native 1080p or 720p resolution. The 1080p and 2160p 24, 25, 30 fps passthrough option should suffice for the streaming services such as Netflix etc.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom