V6 Multiroom

mark mywurdz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Apologies in advance if this has been dealt with. I suspect it has. I ordered a couple of V6 boxes and they arrived today with an engineer to set them up. I was particularly interested in the multiroom facility. To that end I set up an ethernet system using the house wiring and was quite excited at watching Virgin around the house. Anyway, according to the Virgin guy, each V6 box needs a coaxial connection to the cable feed. Is that correct? If so, does that mean they've got to run cable throughout the house? of course, none of this is mentioned on the website. So what exactly is the point of 'multi room' then? The impression I got was that an internet connection would suffice, but no, each box has to have the white cable physically attached in the back. Unless you're prepared to completely disrupt your house, then it's completely pointless. Really disappointed. Nothing what I expected. I don't suppose there is a genius out there with a workaround. Mark

Yes, both boxes would require that they are conneceted to Virgin Media's cable network via the coax cable that comes into your house. THey'd split the main cable feed where it enters the house and then run coax from that point to where your main box and the second box are located. You'd also need another feed to a Virgin Media SuperHub if you also subscribe to Virgin Media's broadband inyernet provision. Virgin Media's cable TV provision isn't delivered via the internet so the internet has nothing to do with Virgin Media being able to supply its boxes with Virgin Media cable TV. THey do however provide access to both Virgin Media Cable TV and Virgin Media Broadband via the one same cable that enters you house.

Both boxes can access what you've recorded on them over your home network, but cable TV and the activation of the boxes need you to have both boxes hooked up to Virgin's CAble TV network. THis is not delivered via the internet. The streaming services accessed via apps onboard the boxes is delivered by the internet, hence the need for the additional connection to your home network which in turn has access to the internet. The new V6 boxes have no intenal modem so need access to your modem in order to access the intrnet for streaming services such as Netflix for example.

It is theoretically possible to split the wiring outside and run the cables on the ouside walls, but you should enquire about this prior to booking an installation. A site engineer may need to view the premises to asses the work prior to an installation and additional charges may be incurred and charged to you to cover these costs?

Last edited:
Yes, both boxes would require that they are conneceted to Virgin Media's cable network via the coax cable that comes into your house. THey'd split the main cable feed where it enters the house and then run coax from that point to where your main box and the second box are located. You'd also need another feed to a Virgin Media SuperHub if you also subscribe to Virgin Media's broadband inyernet provision. Virgin Media's cable TV provision isn't delivered via the internet so the internet has nothing to do with Virgin Media being able to supply its boxes with Virgin Media cable TV. THey do however provide access to both Virgin Media Cable TV and Virgin Media Broadband via the one same cable that enters you house.

Both boxes can access what you've recorded on them over your home network, but cable TV and the activation of the boxes need you to have both boxes hooked up to Virgin's CAble TV network. THis is not delivered via the internet. The streaming services accessed via apps onboard the boxes is delivered by the internet, hence the need for the additional connection to your home network which in turn has access to the internet. The new V6 boxes have no intenal modem so need access to your modem in order to access the intrnet for streaming services such as Netflix for example.

It is theoretically possible to split the wiring outside and run the cables on the ouside walls, but you should enquire about this prior to booking an installation. A site engineer may need to view the premises to asses the work prior to an installation and additional charges may be incurred and charged to you to cover these costs?
Looks like I'll be getting Virgin and multiroom also.

So wait, the second box coax is feed through around the inside of the house as std inc all that effort and labour as the std installation? And splitting it outside the house and simply sending it up a wall is a cost option?!!

Is not crazy? I'm going to miss Sky Q if thats the case, however I'll be getting 10 times the BB speed and more TV for £13 more than I'm paying for Sky alone. It's worth a shot, but I'll be asking for them to take the cable outside the house.

Looks like I'll be getting Virgin and multiroom also.

So wait, the second box coax is feed through around the inside of the house as std inc all that effort and labour as the std installation? And splitting it outside the house and simply sending it up a wall is a cost option?!!

Is not crazy? I'm going to miss Sky Q if thats the case, however I'll be getting 10 times the BB speed and more TV for £13 more than I'm paying for Sky alone. It's worth a shot, but I'll be asking for them to take the cable outside the house.

It has more to do with them requireing ladders and someone to hold them while they are up them. It is a good idea to ask and request the cable be run outside before booking the installation if this is preferable.

It has more to do with them requireing ladders and someone to hold them while they are up them. It is a good idea to ask and request the cable be run outside before booking the installation if this is preferable.
Yeah it seems like the norm now as its a two man install and was told thats what they normally do. Being installed on the 25th.

Yeah it seems like the norm now as its a two man install and was told thats what they normally do. Being installed on the 25th.
Be interested to know how it goes with this install as i've got the same on the 31st July. Don't really like the idea of wires all over the inside or outside of the house. Please let me know how it goes.

Be interested to know how it goes with this install as i've got the same on the 31st July. Don't really like the idea of wires all over the inside or outside of the house. Please let me know how it goes.
Will do.

Thats what I'll miss about Sky Q. But if it means no connection faults, then, i wont.

They have already been and took cable from the pavement to my house

OK sort got everything sorted.

I've not got the easiest house to put wires up outside and there is a bay window under the window room the second box went in and they are not allowed to go onto the roof/s.

Just one bloke came so I did need to help him. But we got there. It's not perfect. I cannot comment how they will be with your set up in regard to tacking the wire along the house inside or out, as mine was so awkward. He did a reasonable job of the cable from the street, but again my set was far from normal.

At least with Virgin I got a nice connection box on the inside. Well I say nice, it's not something you sit there and admire, but it's better than what Sky do and just drill to holes and stick the cable through with some f connectors smashed into the end of the cable.

Just make sure you push the installer to put the feed in to where you want. Like anyone else, the quickest, easiest location is high on their engender

V6 boxes seem to be very good and after Sky Q I have a single button the brings up the guide!

Speed is ridiculously fun though.

Sounds good, how long did it take from start to finish.
Looking forward to getting mine sorted now.

Sounds good, how long did it take from start to finish.
Looking forward to getting mine sorted now.
2 1/2 hours ish?

It's not Sky levels of wireless simpleness, but as with most things wired is best. Think each box can see each others HDD so what is recored on one box can be watched on the other and pausing live TV downstairs can be continued on the box upstairs.

Not had chance to play too much but happy so far.

Boxes also run quieter than Sky Q, but also much much cooler.

Yeah i was expecting around 2 to 3 hours to do the job. just hope all goes well and i have no problems with the install.
Mine gets sorted next Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your help matey.

Yeah i was expecting around 2 to 3 hours to do the job. just hope all goes well and i have no problems with the install.
Mine gets sorted next Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for your help matey.
No probs.

TBO there is not a great to wrong as far as I can see.

Like I said all these "engineers" are pretty much the same, "that'll do" is the motto.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom