V2 upgrade

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by STOWITBELOW, Jan 15, 2004.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've been unable to contain myself & upgraded my v2 Sky + box with a Samsung Sp1203n 120 gb hard drive. I choose a Samsung as they seemed cool running for those who've similarly upgraded. It went ok after a fight to pull the cover off, & droping the new hard disk jumper in the case whilst changing it!!
    I thought I'd ordered a 5400rpm disk but a 7200rpm one arrived so I thought I'd try that. I noticed the old box was warm, & when I got in it, I could have fried an egg on the standard Maxtor drive!
    Swapped drives re-assembled it, did house keeping & haven't looked back (one week now) There's no noise, no where near the heat of the standard drive & 3 times the capcity. You can now afford to keep a few films on the drive, & still have plenty of capacity left. I would recommend it to anyone who can get a Torx security bit for their screwdriver. Of course I've buggered my warranty, but having retained the old drive, it'll be swapped back if there's any problems, & hopefully no one will be any the wiser. The drive was no bargain, I paid a premium for the now rare slower drive but as I said was disapointed. I think the Samsung are dearer (perhaps better?) than Maxtor, mine cost £85 inc delivery, probably a £20 premium on the Maxtor. However the coolrunning, not something the Maxtor upgrades are renown for, make it worth it. So get upgrading!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No problems with any of the bugs reported by other users who had upgraded?

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    No bugs - other than % counter doesn't work. Time willl tell but the Samsung drive seems good value if it's not presenting some of the upgrade issues. I'm particularly impressed with the reduction in temperature. Not that I was aware of a problem, until I started playing. It being that hot cant be good. Noise - bearing or fan has never been an issue. In fact I've never heard the fan on! I need to investigate that, I'm thinking that perhaps it should have come on before.