v10 PLay.com

mpgrant5

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

what guarantee would you get for the v10 if you bought it from play do you get the panasonic 5 yr or 1 yr ?

Should only be a 1 year guarantee as the current offer of a 5 year guarantee is dependant on a demonstration in store.

I've ordered mine from Play.
It comes with a 1 year guarantee.

I suppose it's a bit of a gamble........... 1 year and pay less or pay an extra £150(or so)
for 5 years.

Alternatively haggle with a local dealer and get the cheaper price AND the Panasonic 5 year guarantee. And yes it is possible, we have supplied a couple on this basis already.

How much scope would an independent retailer have to get anywhere near the price from Play or Amazon of £1299 for the 42" V10? My local dealer is quoting £1499 and saying that is with a £100 discount.

I'd rather buy from the local trader but not at £200 difference - does he have a big enough margin to get anywhere near £1299 with a lot of pressure or is he being genuine when he says £1499 is the best he can possibly do?

He's a main dealer with about 10 shops so he should have a fair bit of buying power so is he just trying it on?

How much scope would an independent retailer have to get anywhere near the price from Play or Amazon of £1299 for the 42" V10? My local dealer is quoting £1499 and saying that is with a £100 discount.

I'd rather buy from the local trader but not at £200 difference - does he have a big enough margin to get anywhere near £1299 with a lot of pressure or is he being genuine when he says £1499 is the best he can possibly do?

He's a main dealer with about 10 shops so he should have a fair bit of buying power so is he just trying it on?

Independent dealers pay the same amount to Panasonic for stock as the likes of Play and Amazon. At £1499 you would be paying the full RRP, this would not be a discount of £100. Don't forget though that you would get a Panasonic 5 year guarantee from an authorised dealer as opposed to the 12 month guarantee online.

Just ask yourself, where would you get a 5yr guarantee for £200?? It has to be value for money? But if you want the cheapest go to Pixmania

Just got back to the shop in question and I got it wrong - they will take the £100 off the £1499 which makes it a good deal with the 5 year guarantee. Very very tempted....!

Alternatively haggle with a local dealer and get the cheaper price AND the Panasonic 5 year guarantee. And yes it is possible, we have supplied a couple on this basis already.

Tried to get a deal with local Panasonic dealers here on the 37x10 cheapest they could do was £600 - still £70 more than John Lewis... they kept trying to press the point that the manufacturers 5yr warranty they can offer is far superior to John Lewis's!!

Tried to get a deal with local Panasonic dealers here on the 37x10 cheapest they could do was £600 - still £70 more than John Lewis... they kept trying to press the point that the manufacturers 5yr warranty they can offer is far superior to John Lewis's!!

Which it is, but perhaps not worth the extra £70. Obviously the vast majority of customers are buying this tv from JL at £649 as opposed to the PM of £530.

Don't sound too good. I will be very angry if I can't watch wimbledon on it.

I rang them today and was told the first two weeks in June.

Yes, Panasonic UK have stock coming in this week and then during the last week of June. Neither of these deliveries will be enough to fulfill all the orders. The next delivery is then due mid July.

Just to let you all know, my order has gone to "packing" as of the 05/06 with Play.

Cheers

Rob

I pre-ordered from play.com back in April. The order went to 'packing' on 29th May (Friday), and shipped the following Monday (1st June).

play.com does not include tracking info with the shipping confirmation, and one week on I'm no wiser as to where the thing is. If it's delivered tomorrow (and I've no particular reason to suppose it will be), that will be 10 days from when it went to packing. It could have got here on a pony cart in this time! And as I have no information on when it will be delivered, somebody has had to wait in the house continuously since it shipped. This seems to be down to play.com recently switching to Home Delivery Network, whose reputation is terrible: More Hard-To-Find Telephone Numbers - Amazon and Home Delivery Network*:: ivorysky.

Hope your luck is better than mine. Let us know!

Be aware in relation to Play that they are not subject to the Distance Selling Regulations as they are not based in the UK so your return rights are not so straightforward. Jersey has it's own legislation that offers similar protection but not so far reaching as the DSRs.

I pre-ordered from play.com back in April. The order went to 'packing' on 29th May (Friday), and shipped the following Monday (1st June).

play.com does not include tracking info with the shipping confirmation, and one week on I'm no wiser as to where the thing is. If it's delivered tomorrow (and I've no particular reason to suppose it will be), that will be 10 days from when it went to packing. It could have got here on a pony cart in this time! And as I have no information on when it will be delivered, somebody has had to wait in the house continuously since it shipped. This seems to be down to play.com recently switching to Home Delivery Network, whose reputation is terrible: More Hard-To-Find Telephone Numbers - Amazon and Home Delivery Network*:: ivorysky.

Hope your luck is better than mine. Let us know!

Based on your feedback I have cancelled my order with play.com and ordered mine from Amazon now. I only placed my order on Saturday so was able to cancel the order without any problem or penalty.

Amazon are saying dispatch date 8th June, estimate delivery 9th - 10th June. Problem is they also use Home Delivery Network, hope they dont mess my order up. At least Amazon offer order tracking.

Based on your feedback I have cancelled my order with play.com and ordered mine from Amazon now. I only placed my order on Saturday so was able to cancel the order without any problem or penalty.

Amazon are saying dispatch date 8th June, estimate delivery 9th - 10th June. Problem is they also use Home Delivery Network, hope they dont mess my order up. At least Amazon offer order tracking.

If you're talking the 50" V10, then Amazon want £100+ more than play.com, and they don't claim to offer next day delivery either - the TX-P50V10B page has a link to the details of their "white glove" delivery service (which uses either HDNL or Nightfreight): Amazon.co.uk: Help*>*Dispatch & Delivery*>*Delivery of Large Items*>*Amazon.co.uk Large Items Delivery Service.

And in as much as this is down to HDNL, then I might have been waiting a similar length of time. But... Amazon would, I think, have given me a tracking number, and they promise to call you with a delivery slot (whereas play.com have done neither of these things -- waiting in for a week, that's just daft!).

For what it's worth, I think play.com are generally pretty good, but they have recently transitioned to HDNL and there seem to be some teething troubles (I don't imagine delivery of a £1,500 plasma is supposed to work the way it has for me... and perhaps HDNL still will call to let me know when it's coming, but this isn't described in the shipping e-mail, in the play.com FAQs, nor by the folk on the play.com customer support lines).

Good luck... I'll be interested to know how you get on!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just spoke to HDNL... my TV has been at the local "large items" depot (HDNL have 4: Bolton, Worcester, London, and Airdrie) since Thursday, but I'm about 2 hours drive from the depot and they only come out my way once a week (on Friday). It missed last Friday's run, but they plan to deliver this Friday.

2 full weeks from 'packing' to delivery. A bit disappointing. At least I can stop waiting in every day now!

I have an update too, Amazon have said mine is being delivered via Nightfreight. They have said its coming Thursday :) They have given me a tracking number but its not working yet.

Has anyone had any deliveries off Nightfreight? Cant be as bad a HDNL, they tried to deliver my amp to the wrong house 2 times before they realised they had the wrong street :suicide: They seem to be really short staffed.

I have an update too, Amazon have said mine is being delivered via Nightfreight. They have said its coming Thursday :) They have given me a tracking number but its not working yet.

Has anyone had any deliveries off Nightfreight? Cant be as bad a HDNL, they tried to deliver my amp to the wrong house 2 times before they realised they had the wrong street :suicide: They seem to be really short staffed.

Good luck with that! Looking around, HDNL generates a torrent of complaints - part of that may simply be in relation to the number of deliveries they make. But you do see some common themes: overworked drivers who are only permitted to fail to deliver so many parcels, so they leave them in the wheelie bin for safe-keeping(!); or the tracker reporting that no-one was in to receive the parcel and a card was left when the recipient had in fact waited in all day and the courier never came near the place (presumably the courier ran out of time).

Mine is due Friday now... and I did get a call from HDNL advising me of that, so there you go! The play.com shipping e-mail and the FAQs and the customer service advisors all say 3-5 day delivery, and as a tracking number wasn't issued, and nobody at any point said I would get a call to confirm the delivery time, I ended up waiting in for 3-5 days (and then it took 2 weeks anyway :). So not perfect communication/setting of expectations!

Just had a call off Nightfreight. Said mine is coming Friday too now. Can't wait, been watching TV on my 22" LG LCD computer monitor since 6th May from over 3 meters away. Cant see a damn thing from here :eek:

Just had a call off Nightfreight. Said mine is coming Friday too now. Can't wait, been watching TV on my 22" LG LCD computer monitor since 6th May from over 3 meters away. Cant see a damn thing from here :eek:

:) Think I win this one. I'm currently watching a 13 year-old Sony 21" CRT... I just wasn't all that impressed by the plasmas and LCDs my friends were buying a few years back (particularly displaying standard def content), so stuck with it.

The slightly galling thing is that I really don't expect the Panasonic to beat the near-antique Sony on SD material. 576i and CRT are a good match - the color reproduction, smooth tonal gradations, and freedom from artifacts (pwm noise, jaggies, de-interlacing comb patterns, ...) are second-to-none. The 13 year-old set really does do a better job with this material than any current set I've seen on display... but it's a small set, and HD sources change the game!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom