Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Just picked up this 8-disc DVD set from Music Magpie for just under £12:

Amazon product

It comprises:

Original Mini Series
Complete Series
Final Battle

Rather annoyingly, the Mini Series and Final Battle are available on (very expensive import) Blu-Ray, but not the Complete Series.

Anyway, I have vague memories of enjoying this back in the 80's, so when an episode popped up on SyFy HD last night, I decided to give it a whirl.

Wow, is all I can say! If you like 80's Sci-Fi cheese, then you'll be in heaven here! The make up was caked on. The hair was massive. And that was just the guys!

The script was really bad and the acting either wooden beyond belief, or completely overblown. And there was an alien baby that was the most unrealistic prop I've ever seen in my life, how the actors kept a straight face I'll never know.

However, something happened that made me jolt upright from my disbelief at all this awfulness: a scene between Jane Badler (Diana) and June Chadwick (Lydia) that was a hilarious catty bitchfest! Once you tune into the tone it really is an absolute joy!

I know I'm not selling this very well, but either catch it on SyFy and decide for yourself, or take a punt on the DVD set (but the 8-disc, not the 5-disc). There are also clips on YouTube.

There's just something very compelling about 80's Sci-Fi TV - a combination of the wild acting, the relatively low budgets, the terrible special effects and props, and the rather slow pacing. But it has its own charm and rewards and I would thoroughly recommend this show if it is your kind of thing.:)

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Loved this back in the day and had the box set on vhs, which cost a pretty penny. Proper 80s sci fi. I’d seen Marc Singer in The Beastmaster so was instantly reassuring to see him as Donovan. I found it quite scary when they revealed themselves as alien lizards but the prosthetics are perhaps not too great now? I remember being quite shocked with the
alien baby
. Very good supporting cast too inc. Michael Ironside and Robert Englund cast against type as a sympathetic ‘visitor.’

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Loved this back in the day and had the box set on vhs, which cost a pretty penny. Proper 80s sci fi. I’d seen Marc Singer in The Beastmaster so was instantly reassuring to see him as Donovan. I found it quite scary when they revealed themselves as alien lizards but the prosthetics are perhaps not too great now? I remember being quite shocked with the
alien baby
. Very good supporting cast too inc. Michael Ironside and Robert Englund cast against type as a sympathetic ‘visitor.’
And wasn't Faye Grant absolutely gorgeous?:love:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
And wasn't Faye Grant absolutely gorgeous?:love:

I was about 8 so wasn’t yet interested in girls but, yes, I can now see the attraction of the cute Faye Grant and the evil but alluring Jane Badler. :D

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
I enjoyed watching this all again when the Forces TV channel did a full run-through a couple of years ago (before SyFy did the same in better quality), and the original mini series elements of it still held up for me... it's extremely dark and still works well with it's Nazi occupation inspired vibe... but when it turned into the weekly series it took a massive dive in quality :laugh:
Overall, it was nice to revisit it after something like 30 years of wanting to see it again, but not something I'd really want to spend money on, personally, in the cold light of day. It's a shame the series got canceled leaving them in the lurch as far as a proper ending goes.

I think the only other thing I can remember seeing Faye Grant in was the truly awful... but surprisingly (hilariously) enjoyable... Omen IV tv movie. I still include that as part of my semi-regular Omen series rewatch 🤫

zantarous

Distinguished Member
I loved V I have fond memories of staying up late in during the Summer holidays to watch this, I have seen it countless times and even have the Blu-ray of the Mini Series and the Final Battle. The TV Series got very silly.

Johnson originally wanted to adapt the book "It couldn't Happen Here" which is a look at what Fascism in America would look like. NBC were not too keen on this so they he added the Sci-Fi spin and I tell you what the anti scientist/science/doctor thing just seems so well thought out.

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
an interesting thing when Forces TV showed the series... I don't know if SyFy are doing the same... but Forces included the original episode (I think it's something like ep4) that the US tv network refused to air (too violent for it's broadcast timeslot apparently) so they had to quickly come up with a whole new episode to introduce Kyle to replace it. So on the Forces broadcast you got the ep that replaced it followed by the original episode, both introducing Kyle in completely different scenarios. I had to go on the interweb to find out why I was scratching my head in confusion over how the story was playing out.
I prefer the original version
where Ham meets him while he's locked up in a visitor concentration camp and they escape together
over the replacement where
he turns up out of nowhere on a horse to rescue the mother of the space baby

I would think on the dvd set the original episode is included as an extra rather than inserted to confusing effect in the actual series run.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I loved V I have fond memories of staying up late in during the Summer holidays to watch this, I have seen it countless times and even have the Blu-ray of the Mini Series and the Final Battle. The TV Series got very silly.

Johnson originally wanted to adapt the book "It couldn't Happen Here" which is a look at what Fascism in America would look like. NBC were not too keen on this so they he added the Sci-Fi spin and I tell you what the anti scientist/science/doctor thing just seems so well thought out.
What are your thoughts on the Blu-Rays?

They are stupidly expensive for what you get, but a significant upgrade on the DVD's?

Amazon user reviews are mixed at best.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Thread Update!

Well, I doubt if anyone is actually reading this Thread, but I caught the Pilot episode of the 2010 remake last night on SyFy HD and was very impressed.

There's lots of online moaning about the show compared to the 80's original, but I found it dark, dystopian and chilling. The acting and script are much better, as is the FX.

Quick check online meant I got it for under £10 on Blu-ray from Music Magpie (again). I know it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger as the show was cancelled, but I kind of expect that with US TV:

Amazon product

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Thread Update!

Well, I doubt if anyone is actually reading this Thread, but I caught the Pilot episode of the 2010 remake last night on SyFy HD and was very impressed.

There's lots of online moaning about the show compared to the 80's original, but I found it dark, dystopian and chilling. The acting and script is much better, as are the FX.

Quick check online meant I got it for under £10 on Blu-ray from Music Magpie (again). I know it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger as the show was cancelled, but I kind of expect that with US TV:

Amazon product

I don’t mind the remake - it’s helps to fancy Elizabeth Mitchell and Morena Baccarin as well.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I don’t mind the remake - it’s helps to fancy Elizabeth Mitchell and Morena Baccarin as well.
Are they the two main leads?

I didn't look too closely at the end credits as I literally just dropped into the show whilst channel-hopping.

The actress playing the alien was very good, very cold and calculating.

Thanks for posting, Bruce, I didn't think I'd get any replies! :)

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Are they the two main leads?

I didn't look too closely at the end credits as I literally just dropped into the show whilst channel-hopping.

The actress playing the alien was very good, very cold and calculating.

Thanks for posting, Bruce, I didn't think I'd get any replies! :)

I have the Blu-ray set of both seasons - the 2nd of which i actually still need to watch. Season 1 was enjoyable enough. Morena Baccarin is the remake’s equivalent of Jane Badler from the 80s incarnation, and she’s probably best known as the live action Deadpool’s girlfriend. Mitchell is the older (or more mature :D ) blonde lady and update of Mike Donovan (her most notable role was Juliet in Lost as well as loads of supporting roles in films).

zantarous

Distinguished Member
What are your thoughts on the Blu-Rays?

They are stupidly expensive for what you get, but a significant upgrade on the DVD's?

Amazon user reviews are mixed at best.
Sorry Derek I seemed to have totally missed the notification for this. Like most things in my collection I haven't watched them yet, but I did have a quick flick through the disc and they both look gorgeous (not getting into the whole 16x9 v 4:3 debate). The live action is beautiful and crisp and really worth the additional money being asked. It is a significant upgrade compared to the DVD this is a true HD scan and not a upscale.

Thread Update!

There's lots of online moaning about the show compared to the 80's original, but I found it dark, dystopian and chilling. The acting and script are much better, as is the FX.

Amazon product

I think the first season was decent enough, although all the good stuff from the original was replaced and turned into a CW type show. I only watched a few episodes of the second series and lost interest. The original Mini Series and Final Battle had a grand vision and story to tell, i.e. what would fascism look like when it came to the US and they did a really great job with that not only was the allegory with WW2 well done but they really even predicted (unknowingly) our future.

With longer episode run of the remake I don't think they ever got to the point of their story, maybe at £10 I should give it another go. I absolutely adore Elizabeth Mitchel.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Sorry Derek I seemed to have totally missed the notification for this. Like most things in my collection I haven't watched them yet, but I did have a quick flick through the disc and they both look gorgeous (not getting into the whole 16x9 v 4:3 debate). The live action is beautiful and crisp and really worth the additional money being asked. It is a significant upgrade compared to the DVD this is a true HD scan and not a upscale.

I think the first season was decent enough, although all the good stuff from the original was replaced and turned into a CW type show. I only watched a few episodes of the second series and lost interest. The original Mini Series and Final Battle had a grand vision and story to tell, i.e. what would fascism look like when it came to the US and they did a really great job with that not only was the allegory with WW2 well done but they really even predicted (unknowingly) our future.

With longer episode run of the remake I don't think they ever got to the point of their story, maybe at £10 I should give it another go. I absolutely adore Elizabeth Mitchel.
Thanks for your (eventual! ;) ) reply.

Two things:

1. Any tips as to where I might be able to find both "The Original Miniseries" and "The Final Battle" at a reasonable price? I know they're both US imports, but the online prices are just crazy which is why I plumped for the DVD's.

2. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "CW type show"? Is this a good or bad thing?

And yes, give it another go! Just try not to compare it to the 80's original, if that's possible, but judge it on its own merits? Certainly, the two episodes I watched, of both the original series and the remake, couldn't have been more different in terms of style and tone.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your (eventual! ;) ) reply.

Two things:

1. Any tips as to where I might be able to find both "The Original Miniseries" and "The Final Battle" at a reasonable price? I know they're both US imports, but the online prices are just crazy which is why I plumped for the DVD's.
Sorry Derek I got both when the first came out, there seemed to be a supply issue with the original Mini Series so I decided to get it at full price which was around £22 shipped if I remember correctly. I I reordered the Final Battle as I expected there to be a similar issue with supply. How much are they going for now? I see neither Amazon or Wow have them in stock.

2. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "CW type show"? Is this a good or bad thing?
Oh it is a term that has come to use to describe a certain type of show that is usually the staple of the CW network in the US. Usually it is very teen centric, has lots of emotional teen drama, love triangles, low budget(ish). In recent years the CW has branched out into the Superhero genre with Flash, Green Arrow etc but when you watch those shows you can see they have taken their Dawson Creek formula (yes I know Dawson was on the WB no CW) and wrapped the superhero layer around it.

There shows have a very formulaic uniformity hence the term CW Show.

And yes, give it another go! Just try not to compare it to the 80's original, if that's possible, but judge it on its own merits? Certainly, the two episodes I watched, of both the original series and the remake, couldn't have been more different in terms of style and tone.
If I can track it down for a tenner I might take another punt.

Lee

I know it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger as the show was cancelled, but I kind of expect that with US TV:

My daughter and me watched it when it was on and thought it was brilliant. It was a huge disappointment when it was announced it was cancelled. Morena Baccarin plays a great part as she does in other things I've seen, Gotham springs to mind.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Sorry Derek I got both when the first came out, there seemed to be a supply issue with the original Mini Series so I decided to get it at full price which was around £22 shipped if I remember correctly. I I reordered the Final Battle as I expected there to be a similar issue with supply. How much are they going for now? I see neither Amazon or Wow have them in stock.
Just managed to procure "The Miniseries" for £13 on Blu-Ray!

It was a new listing on Ebay for a Like New condition item at £18, and I used £5 Paypal credit to bring the price down.

It's currently around £23 on Amazon Marketplace, with "The Final Battle" being £33!:eek:

Thanks for your detailed replies, very helpful.:)

Last edited:

wolfie138

i gave up on the remake, turned godawful fairly quickly. LVdV is always watchable but beyond that....meh. don't get the MB fandom at all, she can't act for toffee and the only thing she did in Gotham was take valuable screen time way from Erin.

brian s

Distinguished Member
If you like Morena then you'll like Homeland. You see a lot of her in that. The first season I think it was. The same applies for Supergirl.

Bri

Jules Tohpipi

When V first aired I was a teen and mesmerised by it all. I also had a complete summer long crush on Faye Grant! These days I find watching it somewhat painful. Mostly because I had it on such a pedestal as a kid.

Against expectations I really enjoyed the re-make. Pity it was cancelled. The crush this time was on Laura Vandervoort...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom