V+ settings for Harmony 525?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by lostbok, Sep 18, 2007.

1. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I currently have an issue where the red button is not working on my Harmony 525 when I try to control any of the interactive stuff on my V+ box.... but it does if I use the V+ remote.

I currently have my V+ box setup as a "Scientific Atlanta" "Explorer 8300DVB"

http://www.sciatl.com/customers/Source/7004921.pdf

But when using the red button, it appears not to be working properly.

I've not tested the other coloured buttons, but red definitely isn't working.

I've tried teaching the remote, using the V+ remote... no luck.

But I did this in the PVR settings.... perhaps should I be teaching it the coloured buttons in the TV's settings?

My gut feeling is that the Harmony is sending the TV "red button" signal... and not the V+ "red button" signal....

Is there an official way around this or do I just teach the Harmony's "TV settings" to send V+ signals when I'm pushing the coloured buttons?

I haven't used the TV remote's coloured buttons since the initial setup... so not bothered about losing those.... Virgin Central and V+ are everyday (99% of my TV watching, well that and live sport!)

2. UglyChild uk

UglyChild uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Bit confused. I set up mine and it just recognised 'V+ ' as a device.

To get the coloured button recognised I went into customise buttons. At the bottom where it says 'teletext red' 'teletext blue' ect ect......I then use the next drop down box to just select, 'red' 'blue' ect for the corresponding colour. That worked a treat.

For V+ button. I again went to Customise buttons, then go to 'Additonal Buttons' and added 'TvDrive' which you can name whatever you like.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

3. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    HA HA :rotfl:

BRILLIANT

That's just so typical of me - looking for the most complicated solution possible!!

Thanks so much for breaking it down and getting me to take the obvious route.

"Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB".... DELETED... then added "Virgin Media V+"

I still have to go "devices" and "V+" to get to send the V+ coloured buttons rather than the TV... I assume i'll be able to tweak my way around that if I'm being super lazy... but at least it IS possible now :D

edit: and once I've read your instructions properly... it all works properly.... funny that. :D

I've now customised the buttons so that it defaults to using the Cable coloured buttons... rather than nothing - which explains why the IR relay was picking up nothing!

THANKS AGAIN! (for your patience, as well as your clear instructions) Sorry all very new to this and slightly failign to realise quite how customisable and smart even the bottom of the range Harmony is... £50-odd well spent as far as I can tell!!

4. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    You need to customize the buttons for the ACTIVITY, not the device. You should almost never need to select an individual device with the "Devices" button.

5. lostbok

lostbok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thanks - like I said, I'm slowly realising quite how smart and tweakable these little remotes are!

czzer - I think that part of the problem was that I had setup the device incorrectly to start with and then also not configured which buttons should be used for the "watch V+" activity.

I knew they did the separate devices.... and that you could have little startup "activity macros" for "watch a DVD", "watch V+", etc.... and even include a few starup functions (set volume, set Ambilight, etc).

But I didn't realise that you could then subsequently tweak all the buttons on the remote once you were in a particular activity mode.

I assumed that once you were in "watch V+" mode, then most of the buttons were locked to V+... except obviously the volume (amp)... but now I've seen that the wizard sets up the basics and then you can customise every button after that and choose any device to control...

All very good :D

6. UglyChild uk

UglyChild uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Sweet, glad my instructions actually helped. It seemed easy to me as I struggled through it once myself but felt my explanation wasn't clear.

Glad you got it all working.

7. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So can you guys confirm that the 525 does have four coloured buttons on it ?
    In the picture on SCAN I can't see it ?

(I appreciate this is an old thread ...)

8. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    The Harmony 515, 525, 555, 885 and 895 all have the coloured buttons.

9. mmw109

mmw109

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, I think the 555 might be the one I go for then less than £50 on scan ....

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,776
    That's if you need the picture and sound options, otherwise the 525 is fine.

11. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I think Scan have accidentally put pictures of the 520 which is the US version which doesn't have colour buttons.