V+ questions, thinking of ordering

BandofBrothers

Hi guys. I am in "debate" mode at the moment. I am looking at either Sky HD or the virgin media (ntl) HD boxes

I have a load of simple questions (sorry if they have been asked before)

1) I assume the V+ box connects fine with HDMI? lead included?

2) Whats the max display mode it can do? 720p\1080i\1080p? as I have a Sony 46X2000 1080p set.

3) Is the V+ box good build quality and QUIET?

4) Does the V+ box need a phone line or any crap like that connected 24\7? (Sky can be very anal about that, and kept hassling me when I didnt connect our downstairs sky box to the phone line, even though we dont use the interactive services)

5) What percentage of channels are in HD?

I also saw mention of a £75 charge, which I certainly will not pay, seen as Ive been with ntl for like 8+ years (they were called diamond cable first) so I will try and blag my way past that.

Also, how does the pricing compare to Sky HD? because I saw a great deal on hotukdeals where you could get the SKY HD box for £149 and 10% off your monthly price for £12 months, meaning I would only be paying approx £19 a month for all the channels (except sky movies and sky sports) which is a fantastic deal?

Thanks for any help, I am gonna continue trawling the net and do some research while I await some replies.

:D :hiya:

Badger0-0

Hmmm, I'll have a stab:

1) yes and yes

2) 720p or 1080I

3) Mine's quiet, although you do occasionally hear the drive spin up.
If your hearing is stupidly good, it might not be for you. For me, I notice it, but it's not a problem.

4) Not sure, because I have cable phone too. I don't believe you have to be connected to a specific phone line.

5) next to nothing in HD.

All of this information is readily available on here, so TBH, I don't see why you couldn't do a bit of research, especially with your experience of these forums :(

EDIT:

IMO, I've just wasted my time:mad:

Bermondsey

Standard Member
Hi guys. I am in "debate" mode at the moment. I am looking at either Sky HD or the virgin media (ntl) HD boxes

I have a load of simple questions (sorry if they have been asked before)

1) I assume the V+ box connects fine with HDMI? lead included?

2) Whats the max display mode it can do? 720p\1080i\1080p? as I have a Sony 46X2000 1080p set.

3) Is the V+ box good build quality and QUIET?

4) Does the V+ box need a phone line or any crap like that connected 24\7? (Sky can be very anal about that, and kept hassling me when I didnt connect our downstairs sky box to the phone line, even though we dont use the interactive services)

5) What percentage of channels are in HD?

I also saw mention of a £75 charge, which I certainly will not pay, seen as Ive been with ntl for like 8+ years (they were called diamond cable first) so I will try and blag my way past that.

Also, how does the pricing compare to Sky HD? because I saw a great deal on hotukdeals where you could get the SKY HD box for £149 and 10% off your monthly price for £12 months, meaning I would only be paying approx £19 a month for all the channels (except sky movies and sky sports) which is a fantastic deal?

Thanks for any help, I am gonna continue trawling the net and do some research while I await some replies.

:D :hiya:
1) yes

2)1080

3)I've never heard my V+ since I bought a new av rack. On my old one I could hear it when the room was quiet.

4)It hasn't got a connection for a phone line.

5)Only BBC HD. Although there is supposed to be ondemand HD content coming before long. Personally I'm not bothered as the upscaled sd picture from the V+ is excellent. I certainly wouldn't pay Sky prices to get more HD content but of course not everyone would agree.

As for price. The deal you are quoting is plus £60 instalation plus £10/month HD subsciption. Not a good deal in my opinion , others may disagree. My V+ cost me nothing as I was a returning customer.

Cocacola

Installation is free or £25 for existing customers. All depends if you can get VM to install for free. I did, but have another 10 days before it is fitted.

Installation charges
Standard installation (for services not including V+) £25
Premium installation (for services not including V+)1 £40
V+ HD installation(no additional outlet)2 £75
V+ HD installation(at least one additional outlet)2 £25
Premium V+ HD installation(at least one additional outlet)2 £40
QuickStart self install3 free
Premium QuickStart self install4 £15
Modem upgrade Standard installation2 £25
Modem upgrade Premium installation 2 £40
Modem upgrade QuickStart self install 2 free
Modem upgrade Premium QuickStart self install 2 £15

1. Premium installation charge applies for engineer installations taking place on Saturdays or those scheduled as the first install of the day.
2. Customers taking V+ will only pay a single install charge. Pricing applies to customers taking TV for the first time or existing TV customers upgrading to V+.
3. Quickstart self install not yet available in all areas. Cannot be taken for Phone only installs, installs that include V+ or when the customer wishes to port their telephone number.
4. Premium QuickStart install charge applies for install packs delivered between 7am and 9am, 8am and noon or noon and 5pm. Not yet available in all areas. Cannot be taken for Phone only installs, installs that include V+

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationcharges.html

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom