V+ Options

dafunk2

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well I love this site - thanks for the help as I now have my V+ box connected via my HDMI.

Anyone have preferences for 720, 720w, 1080 or 1080w?

I have a pioneer pdp 428xd and am not sure which suits best? (And my wife is sick of me messing around with the picture!!!) :)

Am I being a bit naive in thinking that just because the tv goes upto 1080, the 1080 setting on the V+ box is the best setting?

No, you're not mate.

But it all depends on your particular setup.

Personally, I use an Hitachi (Alis) screen with 1024 lines.
You would expect 1080i to be better,as it requires less scaling, but in reality, there is very little difference. FWIW, the menu with V+ looks worse with 1080 (a known fault of VM), so I run 720.

Again, FWIW, wide seems not very popular, I certainly don't use it, but that's me.

I'd reiterate, it's what you prefer that counts.

It seems you can't see much difference (nor do I) when it comes to the picture.

In which case, apply some good psychology and ask the missus what she thinks. Then use that setting.
Women always like knowing they're right ;)

No, you're not mate.

But it all depends on your particular setup.

Personally, I use an Hitachi (Alis) screen with 1024 lines.
You would expect 1080i to be better,as it requires less scaling, but in reality, there is very little difference. FWIW, the menu with V+ looks worse with 1080 (a known fault of VM), so I run 720.

Again, FWIW, wide seems not very popular, I certainly don't use it, but that's me.

I'd reiterate, it's what you prefer that counts.

It seems you can't see much difference (nor do I) when it comes to the picture.

In which case, apply some good psychology and ask the missus what she thinks. Then use that setting.
Women always like knowing they're right ;)

Why isn't "Wide" very popular?
I'm using 720p wide ATM.

i to have a 1080p plasma (the new samsung p96)

i have switched between 720w and 1080w - the menu on 1080w is slightly blurred when in 1080w

but as for the difference in PQ i cannot really say if there is to much difference - they seem to be pretty similar - however, logic dictates that using 1080w on a 1080p plasma would be the better option - or am i wrong here ?

i am also using an HDMI cable supplied by VM - does anyone know if using a better quality HDMI would improve the PQ any more ?

HDMI cable is a digital cale, the ones and zeros either get there or they don't - doesn't matter how nice they are when they get there :smashin:

It may be worth paying extra pennies on a cable for flexibility or mechanical strength of connectors but not for picture quality.

...and stop using the wide options :suicide:

Well I think i'll have another little play around tonight and see which is best - although you are right that the guide is a little bit blurry on the 1080 setting...

i to have a 1080p plasma (the new samsung p96)

i have switched between 720w and 1080w - the menu on 1080w is slightly blurred when in 1080w

but as for the difference in PQ i cannot really say if there is to much difference - they seem to be pretty similar - however, logic dictates that using 1080w on a 1080p plasma would be the better option - or am i wrong here ?

i am also using an HDMI cable supplied by VM - does anyone know if using a better quality HDMI would improve the PQ any more ?

The one that looks best to you is the best choice, as I said earlier.
It doesn't matter what is supposed to be best, IMO :)

Done some testing I'm sticking with 720pw.

720p takes non-anamorphic widescreen and makes it 4:3.
Yeah the picture looks correct but who wants to watch a small square in the middle of the TV screen.

720p does the correct thing it shows it as non-anamorphic widescreen.

It's not the V+ box that channels aren't being broadcast in anamorphic.

Done some testing I'm sticking with 720pw.

720p takes non-anamorphic widescreen and makes it 4:3.
Yeah the picture looks correct but who wants to watch a small square in the middle of the TV screen.

720p does the correct thing it shows it as non-anamorphic widescreen.

It's not the V+ box that channels aren't being broadcast in anamorphic.

The term "non-anamorphic widescreen" makes no sense, its anamorphic and widescreen, or its neither! There has been occasions where anamorphic pictures have been broadcast without the relevant widescreen flag (which stetch-o-vision will fix) but that is extremely rare.

What I think you're describing is a 4:3 image being stretched and distorted so to fill a widescreen TV. The producer will have intended for a 4:3 image (such as The Simpsons) to be displayed as a 4:3 image on a widescreen TV, i.e. with black bars left and right. Personally, I prefer to watch how the producer intended.

The non-widescreen channels are choosing to cut away 25% of a widescreen picture to produce a 4:3 image. No amount of stretching will rebuild the original 16:9 picture but will fill your widescreen telly with a distorted (fat) picture. Or the non-widescreen channels are choosing to broadcast a widescreen picture letterboxed in a 4:3 image and since the V+ can only stretch in one direction it is impossible to fill your widescreen telly, you will always see black bars top and bottom aswell as a distorted (fat) picture.

Its not the V+'s fault that Virgin's channels are not widescreen but it is Virgin's fault and Virgin supply the V+ box. This is precisely why just over a year ago there was a lot of colourful debate between people who wanted strect-o-vision and people who didn't. Those who didn't want it realised that it would only disguise the much bigger issue - broadcasters not broadcasting widescreen programmes in true widescreen! :mad:

......The term "non-anamorphic widescreen" makes no sense, its anamorphic and widescreen, or its neither! .....:

Well I've got VHS and early DVDs that are widescreen but not anamorphic.
This means they are non-anamorphic widescreen. ;)

They are not "anamorphic and widescreen" as you state because they are not anamorphic.
But they are not "neither" as you state because they are widescreen. ;)

If I play them on my system I do not want to watch them in a 4:3 box on my screen.
I want to see them as they are intended i.e. non-anamorphic widescreen.

Thank you for your input.
But it's my preference to have my V+ box set to 720pW. ;)

Am I being a bit naive in thinking that just because the tv goes upto 1080, the 1080 setting on the V+ box is the best setting?

Use the native resolution of the TV, in this case it is almost certainly 720p.

I find progressive much clearer than interlaced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom