V-Moda M80 or Audio Technica ES55

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GregHill3, Sep 9, 2012.

1. GregHill3

GregHill3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My current in ears have just broken and I need some new portable headphones for my commute. I am considering the two above and have auditioned the ES55 in Richer Sounds and found them to be the best of their selection to me anyway. I have read loads about the V-Moda and am considering them, just wondered if anybody has a pair and can comment?

I listen to mostly indie and rock, no current pop or dance/house etc so don't want a bass heavy headphone. I also have a small FIIO E11 amp and was considering the Audio-Technica M50, but are they too big to commute with, plus I found the on ear design pretty comfortable.

Any help greatly appreciated as ever.

Regards

Greg

2. quadpatch

quadpatch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have not tried that Audio-Technica ES55 but I have tried the ATH-M50 and I own the VModa M-80. Both of the latter are amazing! The M50 is bigger and all plastic, but still quite sturdy. it sits around the ear but the hole in the leather cups isn't bit enough for most ears thus not making them totally comfy. The VModa is small, almost all metal, much better styling (you can see that for yourself) but it also clamps quite hard and thus can get painful to wear after a while.

Sound wise the M50 has a more powerful bass but it's not as nice sounding or as deep as the M-80. Both have rolled off treble but the M-80 slightly less so. I nearly bought the M50 to replace the M-80 for office use as it would be better for longer listening but instead I have now ordered the VModa M-100 (VTF-100. .pre-prod) and am also tempted by the SoundMAGIC HP100 and the new Sennheiser Momentum. I may buy all three and then sell the ones I don't want.

3. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I just researched this thoroughly on the web and ended up going for the V-Moda M80. Great reviews in terms of sound quality, style and robustness. Most others excelled in one of these categories (i also considered the B&W P3) but the V-Modas seem to get good ratings for everything. The fact that they are currently available for £115 on Amazon (usually £160) also had a factor in my decision, seems good value.

Will let you know when I get them in a few days.

4. GregHill3

GregHill3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went with the M80 from Amazon, and got them the other day, and gave them a go yesterday. I was a bit disappointed as one of the earcups was a bigger than the other and I also found the fit uncomfortable. I know I have a wide head, but found the headband really did not extend enough to give me much adjustment. Also after a short time of listening I had a really had headache. I did not have them too loud as I have tinnitus, which was the main reason I was considering on ears as opposed to in ears.

So I am going to return them and go back to the drawing board, really wanted a better sounding headphone then my a-jays, on the plus side, though they did sound great, even my wife commented how good the bass was, punchy but not overwhelming, and the treble was also well defined.

5. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Before you sell up might be worth googling a video review that was on the innerfidelity website. Includes the chap showing how easy it is to move the headband to fit more comfortably. Might help.

6. GregHill3

GregHill3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Checked that out, but the headphones I received are already bent, which makes me think that I have either had a pair somebody has had before as one of the cups is out of shape, or they are fakes. Don't think it's the latter, so I will be sending them back for a refund and looking for a replacement in ear. Shame - good sound though.

7. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Interesting and yes, something not right there. I should be getting my M80s from Amazon today so I will check them out carefully....if they are bent out of shape in any way I'll be sending them back forthwith too....

The V-Moda website has a page illustrating genuine vs fake models by the way. So you'd be able to spot that if it's the case. I hope not.

8. interbear

interbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    So my V-Moda M80s from Amazon arrived today.

No issues in terms of hardware. All present correct and very well made it seems.

A brief whirlwind test run via my iPod touch and I am delighted with the sound quality. Phew :) From Bjork to Billy Bragg to Calvin Harris to Feeder to the Jam and Goldfrapp with a wee bit of Christina Perri thrown in for good measure to calm things down, they seem to cope admirably with all sorts of musical genres.

So. I'd highly recommend them.

This is not some post purchase self justification. If I hadn't liked the, they would have been returned PDQ. I really am very impressed indeed. Which is just as well really.....