V+ HDMI vs Component

Ramspeed

Because Virgin failed to supply me with an HDMI cable I've been using component. Picture quality absolutely excellent. No complaints at all. Is there any reason to use HDMI? Am I missing out on anything?

Like to use my single (!) hdmi for the DVD player...

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
I believe that you may not be able to view some of the VOD content via component due to Digital Rights Management and you would need an HDMI cable. I'm not an expert in this --- just what I've read so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Just another thought ---- I was told that if you didn't get an HDMI cable when you first got the v+ box, you could ring Virgin and they would send you one in the post.

BTW The one they supplied me was faulty and the picture used to blank out for a couple of seconds every now and then, eventually becoming several minutes. The first enginner said it was the box, swapped it and no change. The second said he had had other people with this problem and it was the cable and recommends they go out and buy one. I changed mine and that fixed the problem.

Meatball

Standard Member
Component is an analog signal while HDMI is digital, therefore HDMI is generally better than Component. If you have the option to use HDMI, I would use it. Most On Demand requires it :)mad: ) and the picture generally is better. Only use component if you don't watch alot of HD on demand :)

Synchronicity

Component is an analog signal while HDMI is digital, therefore HDMI is generally better than Component. If you have the option to use HDMI, I would use it. Most On Demand requires it :)mad: ) and the picture generally is better. Only use component if you don't watch alot of HD on demand :)

Aaaahhh,it all becomes clear now!So this is the reason I could not watch Hard Rain after recording it on BBC HD the other day :(

Hmmmm,I can see this being a bit of a nightmare-my PJ(a now ageing Sanyo Z2) doesnt have a HDMI connection and although the picture quality via component is excellent Im gonna be screwed if I cant view half the content!Is there no way around this?

kgollop

When I had TVDrive (V+) installed I didn't have a HDTV so was connected up via scart. When I got my Toshiba 32WLT66 I requested a HDMI cable via the Blueyonder support newsgroup and they sent me one free of charge within a week.

As for your other problem, I have seen HDMI switching devices available - although I have no experience of them.

Automatic:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=AV13021

Cheaper manual switch:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=AV12784

L11

When my HDMI cable broke i had to use component for a couple days and i could definetly tell the difference.. And i'm not one of those people that nit picks (i cant tell the difference between a cheap and expensive scart lead)

Synchronicity

Ok,a little update-

I had recently ordered a few bits and bobs for my impending PS3 delivery.As luck would have it these items included a new DVI cable,a DVI switch(bog standard super cheap,15 quid to be exact:blush: )and a HDMI to DVI adapter.

So I just tried connecting the V+ box via the HDMI>DVI adapter>supercheap DVI switch>DVI cable>Sanyo Z2 and to my amazement it works like a charm,and I am now able to view the HD movies ondemand.I thought there might be issues with everything handshaking and getting along but it all seems fine.The DVI switch is very basic and shall we say slightly clunky but for 15 quid what do I expect?

The problem I have now is when the PS3 arrives in the next couple of days do I use the component or get another HDMI cable and just swap the HDMI cables connecting to the DVI adapter when I want to change devices.....why cant anything go smoothly?:suicide:

Ben

The problem I have now is when the PS3 arrives in the next couple of days do I use the component or get another HDMI cable and just swap the HDMI cables connecting to the DVI adapter when I want to change devices.....why cant anything go smoothly?:suicide:

Can't you buy an HDMI to DVI cable, or another HDMI cable + HDMI to DVI adapter like you already have done. Then just select the input source using your DVI switch? I imagine swapping the cables will soon become a pain in the butt - especially if the cabling around your TV looks anything like mine! ;)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

Ramspeed - HDMI is an interconnect that is capable of passing Standard and High Definition Digital 'Component' video.

Analogue (via 3RCA) and Digital (via HDMI) 'Component' Video ought not to look too dissimilar - though the quality of the Outputs on your Source and Inputs on your Display need not be of equal quality should the hardware manufacturers choose to 'favour' Digital over Analogue.

Mr Jason B - there are a few ways to circumvent the HDCP encryption inherent in most HDMI equipped Sources; some 'workarounds' will Output a non encrypted Digital signal and some will Output a non encrypted Analogue signal.

Ignoring the above you have not stumbled on to some magical HDMI/HDCP fix-it - your Sanyo projector has an HDCP enabled DVI-I input; all you therefore require when connecting an HDMI equipped device to the Sanyo is an HDMI to DVI cable and the Source set to Output a resolution the Sanyo supports on its DVI input.

I guess the 'surprising' bit about your new set-up is that the low cost DVI switch is HDCP enabled - that assumes the V+ box is actually outputting an HDCP encrypted signal to begin with!

The PS3 may be a sterner test for your switch - the PS3 has proven to be very unforgiving in terms of system connectivity.

Joe

Synchronicity

Can't you buy an HDMI to DVI cable, or another HDMI cable + HDMI to DVI adapter like you already have done. Then just select the input source using your DVI switch? I imagine swapping the cables will soon become a pain in the butt - especially if the cabling around your TV looks anything like mine! ;)

The switch only has 2 inputs,1 now taken by the V+ box and the other by my pc.My component cables are expensive supra jobs so I will probably try the PS3 with them first and see how it goes.

Joe Fernand said:
you have not stumbled on to some magical HDMI/HDCP fix-it
I never thought that I had.

Joe Fernand said:
I guess the 'surprising' bit about your new set-up is that the low cost DVI switch is HDCP enabled - that assumes the V+ box is actually outputting an HDCP encrypted signal to begin with!
Exactly,that and the inclusion of the adapters,I wasnt optimisic that I would get any joy.If I was unable to view the HD movies before but now I can doesnt that mean they were encrypted?Or just that they only work through HDMI?

Joe Fernand said:
The PS3 may be a sterner test for your switch - the PS3 has proven to be very unforgiving in terms of system connectivity
Yup,I suspect it will be component for that baby as long as I dont get more encrypted problems:lease:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Mr Jason B

The ability to 'deny service' on the Analogue Outputs of the V+ box is separate from the addition (or lack of) of HDCP encryption on the HDMI Output.

HDCP is not mandatory on HDMI connections - though most Content/Rights owners will insist it is applied; even on SD Outputs.

Joe

Synchronicity

Hello Mr Jason B

The ability to 'deny service' on the Analogue Outputs of the V+ box is separate from the addition (or lack of) of HDCP encryption on the HDMI Output.

HDCP is not mandatory on HDMI connections - though most Content/Rights owners will insist it is applied; even on SD Outputs.

Joe

Ah,ok-Cheers.
As you say, the true test will be the PS3 when it finally shows up.

Ramspeed

Thanks for the replies. I'll be getting an HDMI for the V+. DVD player now goes to component. Seems my Sony LCD has a good scaler because 576p from the DVD looks excellent.

Synchronicity

Ok,another update(I know it is slightly OT,but may as well finish off):

Got my PS3 this afternoon,connected it using the free HDMI cable I got off NTL,a HDMI>DVI adapter>the cheap 15 quid DVI switch and it is all working perfectly kicking out a healthy 1080i:smashin: I havent tried any Blueray films yet though but hopefully they shouldnt be a problem.

Just in case anyone is interested in the DVI switch,it is this one,which as I said,is not exactly top of the range but 15 quid compared to 140 quid will do me just fine right now thanks.

Just another thought ---- I was told that if you didn't get an HDMI cable when you first got the v+ box, you could ring Virgin and they would send you one in the post.

BTW The one they supplied me was faulty and the picture used to blank out for a couple of seconds every now and then, eventually becoming several minutes. The first enginner said it was the box, swapped it and no change. The second said he had had other people with this problem and it was the cable and recommends they go out and buy one. I changed mine and that fixed the problem.

yep..thats exactly what happened too me as well mate.Cheapy cables me thinks.:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom