V HD Box to V+ HD...second hand box?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Atchi123, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi
    I have just joined Virgin Media and got the XL package with Tivo and the 2nd box in another room. However I didnt realise that the 2nd box (V HD) is just a very basic box with no pause, rewind, record functionality. I have seen some V+HD boxes on ebay and wondered if it was as simple as buying one and switching it over? (I think I read that if I bought a 2nd hand Tivo then it wouldnt work?)
    Thanks
    Steve

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,351
    VM don't actually sell their boxes and they always remain their property. The boxes on eBay are technically stolen property. Regardless of this, you can't use them anyway because each and every VM box requires a legitimate PIN card and that card must be associated with a valid account at the household where it is used. Each PIN card is specifically paired to the box it is inserted into.

No, you cannot buy secondhand VM boxes and use them in association with Virgin Media cable.

3. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    thank you very much for clarifying that for me. I'll phone Virgin and go down the official route!

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    I even saw Cash Converters selling a TiVo box online for £39.95 recently. Not theirs to sell and they should know it.