V+ hard drive noise!

leedsfireman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, just had 2 V+'s fitted yesterday, not Samsung unfortunately, 1 in room & 1 in bedroom. Through the night the bedroom box, every so often, would seem to start whirring as though the hard drive was was working.
Is this normal as it kept waking me up?

Hi, just had 2 V+'s fitted yesterday, not Samsung unfortunately, 1 in room & 1 in bedroom. Through the night the bedroom box, every so often, would seem to start whirring as though the hard drive was was working.
Is this normal as it kept waking me up?

I have the same issue although my V+ boxes are Samsung :confused:

I've been told the Samsung are ment to be a bit quieter, is this not the case?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the SA V+ is supplied fitted with one of two different HDD units. Mine is fairly quiet and cannot be heard at all at normal viewing distance. It is not as noisy as the HDD in my Sony HDD DVDR.

Its a known problem unfortunately with some boxes,the only thing to try is some sort of sound deadening mat underneath the box .... switching the box off will stop it of course but that not possible if you do late night recording ....my Samsung is silent,I have it sitting on top of my dvd recorder,maybe thats helps ....

Last edited:
I've tried both boxes in bedroom & both too noisey to use. Called VM up & they are sending some one out on Thursday, I'll try ask for Samsung boxes to try.

I noticed this too, try putting your box on standby and not recording anything during the night.

Hi All. I'm new to all of this AV stuff, being a very recent Sky Dumper awaiting Virgin installation this weekend, but hard drives in general have to do "thermal recalibration" every so often to align the heads due to heat expansion and other deeply scientific stuff.

Quick update, I got VM to re-place both boxes with the Samsung ones.
They look better, are smaller & much quieter than the SA one's.
But they don't have component outputs if you need them.

Happy now!

Quick update, I got VM to re-place both boxes with the Samsung ones.
They look better, are smaller & much quieter than the SA one's.
But they don't have component outputs if you need them.

Happy now!

Nice one :) My SA box is going mad on me, error 1200 everywhere and random reboots of the box. Someone is coming down on Wednesday and I asked CS for a samsung box and they told me I will receive one and that they have made a note for the guy coming down...fingers crosses :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom