Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

V for vendetta trailer.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Jul 24, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
  2. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    This is another comic book adaptation from the same writer as Sin City (writer of the comic book that is) - Alan Moore - so its got a good pedigree

The trailer looks good but apparently Moore has slated it as being to different from the original Comic Book.

It stars Natallie Portman (sporting a snazzy new haircut) and Hugo Weaving (of Matrix,Agent Smith & Lord of the rings, Elrond, fame) as the titular "hero" V.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Frank Miller wrote Sin City. :confused:

Alan Moore did V is for Vendetta, Watchmen and The Killing Joke to name a couple. :)

4. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,068
    whoops :blush: - i stand corrected - i always get those two confused

5. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Well Jonathan Ross went to town on this last night. Not that I care for his opinion, or actually watch Film on BBC anymore, I just heard what he was saying whilst in another room. He absolutely slated the film, acting, special effects, direction, the works.

But I don't care, I'm still going to watch it :D

6. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johnathan Woss is getting to the point where all he likes is Asian movies. Its kind of sad becuase I like him most of the time.

Anyway, the Graphic Novel of V For Vendetta is my absolubte favorite comic ever. If the movie is different though I won't really be mad, as its a movie and unless it says "this is a stright copy" before the opeining credits then I would never think it would be. As for the trailer, its awesome.

7. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's not exactly going to be an impartial review for Jonathan Ross as we already know he is in the Moore camp of not wanting any adaptations of the comic books.

From what I hear, the changes are such that the film should probably be called E for Evey.

8. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'm now at the point where I take very little notice of JRs reviews and just watch Film 2006 for the features and interviews.

I've seen "V For Vendetta" and enjoyed it. Didn't know at all what to expect having never read Moore's work and was suprised to find less of a fantasy/superhero flick and more of a thought-provoking socio-political statement. :eek:

Therefore it might not be to everyone's taste.

9. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan Moore was on the Culture Show (video online) last week. He's quite an eccentric character - looks like a wino but talks like an intellectual. He mentioned that he was embarrassed by the quality of the film adaptions of his work and asked for his name to be removed from the credits. Saying that this looks promising and I will probably watch it.

10. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

The Graphic Novel is well worth picking up. Watchmen is also worth reading. If you enjoyed the tv series Hill Street Blues then give Top Ten a try as well.

I'd be embarrassed too, and I'm not surprised he's asked for his name to be removed from the film credits after the abomination that was LXG:mad:

11. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'll be watching this as I think it may be the best adaptation of a Moore work so far (not that that's saying much :rolleyes: )

I like Alan Moore, a lot - but feel he sometimes takes himself far too seriously, he did, after all write comic books. I am a long time fan from his 2000AD stuff, Miracleman, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, Watchmen, Killing Joke etc, and they're all well worth reading (I re-read Watchmen only last year and it still holds up as one of the best pieces of comic book work ever). I can understand his frustrations with debacles like LXG and to a lesser extent, From Hell but can't help thinking that if he really rolled his sleeves up an got involved more in the movie making process, he'd get something much closer to the tone and style he wants to see. Look at Frank Miller's Sin City - not much deviation from the comic book there....

12. rmoxon

rmoxon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the problem is Rodriguez actually wanted Miller on set duuring the shooting of Sin City. The adaptations of Moore's work were by directors who probabaly didn't want to stay that close to the comics.

I actually liked From Hell, LXG was one of the worst films I have ever seen though.

This actually looks good, even though Johnathan Ross panned it he was really picking stupid things to critisze about the film. Like the fact that the chracter wears a mask, complaining becuase you can't see the actors emotions, yet then goes onto complain about it not being like the comic (which it would have been even less like had V worn no mask!).

13. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I also thought From Hell was pretty good in it's own right, but not very close to the source material (kind of like Constantine - oh, another Alan Moore creation!! ;) )

I like JR but don't watch Film200* because I've never really thought he was right for the programme. If he did criticise V because Hugo Weaving always wore his mask then slate it for not staying closer to the source material, then he needs to take a few lessons from his brother in film reviewing :clap: :suicide: