• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

V+ dd5.1

macspost

Standard Member
Hi,

I am fairly new to V+ and tried my first on demand HD movie today but was dissapointed to find my amp only showed pro logic instead of proper DD5.1

I called Virgin and was told by some call centre lady that they do not transmit any of their movies, even the HD ones, in 5.1?

Having looked on here though and general google search some people say that you do get HD movies and some BBC HD with DD so I'm a little confused.

Could someone just confirm whether or not any of the V+ on demand HD stuff has proper DD5.1, whether it is only available through the optical or can be picked up via the hdmi, and whether you need to change any settings to get it.

Thanks

bsuttie

Established Member
The HDMI and optical both output the same thing. However if "HDMI audio override" is set to "off" you will only get 5.1 to an HDMI connected amp if your amp correctly handshakes that it is 5.1 capable. If it doesn't do this, or you want 5.1 via the optical when the HDMI is connected to a stereo destination e.g. a TV, then you need to set "HDMI audio override" to "On".
It's in Settings, "Screen and audio settings" if I remember correctly.

regards

Brian

macspost

Standard Member
My amp is an Onkyo 875, it has no problem doing the handshaking to get 5.1 from any other source so I would have assumed it would do it fine from the V+ box? I do have the override set to off at the moment and no optical connection, the only reason I asked about that was because there were some old threads on here that seemed to suggest you could only get the 5.1 on the optical connection.

BikeNutt

Established Member
Could someone just confirm whether or not any of the V+ on demand HD stuff has proper DD5.1, whether it is only available through the optical or can be picked up via the hdmi, and whether you need to change any settings to get it.

Thanks

Some HD VoD has DD5.1, some doesn't - it's hit and miss I'm afraid.

BBCHD has some DD5.1 (quite a bit actually).

DD5.1 is available, where broadcast, over both optical or HDMI.

Your Onk will be fine - if using HDMI (and I assume you are as you have the 875) set the V+ overide to ON.

HTH

Last edited:

ShadowTD

Established Member
Just as a footnote, the BBC HD 'barker' reel that's on during the day is always in 5.1. If this works, anything else that is DD will also.

bsuttie

Established Member
Or record the HD test card which has 5.1 test signals. It's just after an hour into the Preview loop, so just set to record from 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins after the end of the last programme on the BBC HD channel. There's also an A/V sync test that is about 50 mins later, so also record from 1 hour 45 to 2 hours after the end of the last programme on the BBC HD channel.

regards

Brian

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom