V+ connections to other equipment help please

Cocacola

Established Member
Reaction score
:lease: Just had V+ installed yesterday. V+ box works fine:)

Question?
V+ box is connected via HDMI lead and this is selected on TV and V+ box. The engineer also fitted a scart lead from the V+ box to the TV. I would have thought that if it is connected via HDMI there is no need to connect a scart lead as well to the TV.

I also need to connect a DVD recorder and a DVD player with surround sound to this set up.

So is this correct
V+ box to TV via HDMI
DVD recorder to V+ box via scart

how do I connect the DVD player with surround sound to this set up.
VM told me scart direct from the SS DVD player to the TV. But I can only hear sound from BBC 1. When I change channels on the V+ box the sound stays on BBC 1.

Both DVD recorder and DVD player with SS have Red/green/blue component connections available. But not connected.
Both DVD recorder and DVD player with SS have red/yellow/white audio connections available but not connected.
DVD recorder has 2 scart connections available. DVD player with SS only has one scart connection available.

HELP:lease:

I had an engineer out today to fix a fault on my v+box. I asked him why my Liteon dvd recorder couldnt see the output from the v+box, which by the way is connected to my tv via hdmi lead. He tried to get the dvd to work but it wouldnt. He made a phone call to get some advice. He then told me that when hdmi output was being used the scart outputs were disabled and the only way to get the dvd recorder to see the out put would be to run a scart cable from the v+box in addition to the hdmi lead. I could then go into v+box settings and change from hdmi to another setting (widescreen in my case). So that my be the reason the engineer has used the hdmi and scart leads on your set up. By the way i went and changed my setting from hdmi to widescreen so i could set my dvd up, that done i changed back to hdmi output. Only problem is it wont make the change and keeps reverting back to widescreen output, nothings ever simple is it.

I think I have everything working successfully:)

I have connected V+ to TV via HDMI
V+ box to DVD recorder via scart. I have yet to try out to see if I can record from the V+ HDD to DVD disc.
DVD player with Surround Sound via component to TV and audio leads to V+ box. For some reason I couldn't get the DVD player with SS to work via scart:confused:

I have also received a spare HDMI lead from VM this morning because I made an enquiry yesterday about connections.

Do you now only have your v+box connected to your tv with the hdmi cable, and your dvd recorder connected to the v+box via scart. If so does the dvd recorder see the v+box, ie: can you record a cable channel. Or to do this do you need to alter the output of the v+box in settings, like i mentioned in my first reply. The way ive already said my dvd recorder is connected is by no means an ideal situation and is a lot of messing around, changing v+box output just to get it to record cable. I dont know if i will still need to go through this hassle if i want to transfer a recording from the v+box to my dvd recorder. Surely there must be an easier way to do this. Why are the scart sockets on the v+box disabled when using hdmi connection, i just cant see the point. I may give VM a call and see if they have an easier method to accomplish this.

Do you now only have your v+box connected to your tv with the hdmi cable, and your dvd recorder connected to the v+box via scart. If so does the dvd recorder see the v+box, ie: can you record a cable channel. Or to do this do you need to alter the output of the v+box in settings, like i mentioned in my first reply. The way ive already said my dvd recorder is connected is by no means an ideal situation and is a lot of messing around, changing v+box output just to get it to record cable. I dont know if i will still need to go through this hassle if i want to transfer a recording from the v+box to my dvd recorder. Surely there must be an easier way to do this. Why are the scart sockets on the v+box disabled when using hdmi connection, i just cant see the point. I may give VM a call and see if they have an easier method to accomplish this.

MY DVD recorder cannot see the output from the V+ box:mad: I switch to AV channel on the DVD recorder and all I get is feedback. I can't see any picture, but can see the AV1 logo. And just get lots of humming.

Both box and recorder are connected to TV via scart. Box is also connected to TV via HDMI and this option is selected in menu.

I have connected DVD recorder to box via the bottom scart connection on box.

I have tried selecting widescreen, 4:3 etc in menu but still no output to DVD recorder.
I can't use component leads on box, because I am using them to connect to a DVD player with surround sound.

If VM can sort you out :lease: let me know. I would ideally like to record Moto GP from HDD on box onto disc at some time.

Even when set to HDMI the copy to VCR/DVD (from the V+ extras menu) outputs on the botton scart.

With HDMI on it does not feed the live tv. I read somewhere that this feature was removed due to quality issues. Shame as it would be handy for me.

When I change to widesceen(no hdmi) it uses the top scart for my TV and I can record using the bottom scart. The top scart outputs onscreen menus but the bottom one doesn't

I recommend you copy something to VCR/DVD using the extras menu, then mess around with your scarts and vcr/dvd inputs until you get the picture from the copy.

When I change to widesceen(no hdmi) it uses the top scart for my TV and I can record using the bottom scart. The top scart outputs onscreen menus but the bottom one doesn't
I recommend you copy something to VCR/DVD using the extras menu, then mess around with your scarts and vcr/dvd inputs until you get the picture from the copy.

so how would I set this up. Would I have to disconnect the HDMI temporarily whilst I copy to DVD. Then reconnect HDMI when I am finished. Do you mean actually take out/unplug the HDMI?

I've been into the menu, changed to wide screen and all the other options. But nothing. NO output from box to DVD.

The bottom scart on box is connected via scart to DVD recorder.
So do I connect top scart on box to TV? and other scart on DVD recorder to TV?

i had v+ installed this morning and everything seems ok but i still have a scart lead connection from the v+ to the tv as well as the hdmi lead. also i havent noticed much difference in the picture quality.

i had v+ installed this morning and everything seems ok but i still have a scart lead connection from the v+ to the tv as well as the hdmi lead. also i havent noticed much difference in the picture quality.

Has the engineer set up to output HDMI in the menu? Go into settings>optical picture settings. Try watching 'Kill Bill' one penny movies in HD. Great:thumbsup:

the settings are as follows
v+: tv display format-HIDEF HDMI
V+HIDEF output: 720 wide

panasonic tv:control with hdmi-on

the settings are as follows
v+: tv display format-HIDEF HDMI
V+HIDEF output: 720 wide

panasonic tv:control with hdmi-on

they are the same settings as I have. Maybe you have a dodgy HDMI lead. Try watching Kill Bill in HD on one penny movies and see if it looks any better. The HD version is under on demand movies>special offers.

Cocacola, i was having problems with my dvd recorder (Liteon with hard drive) until the scart lead was fitted between v+box and tv. I dont know how you set up your dvd from scratch but here,s what i have to do. I have to start the dvd scanning for channels, when it finished i go through its menu and pick a channel and select decode this will then show the cable channels. Thats how simple it was with the old standard box, things are different with the v+box. Here,s what i have to do, i have to go into v+box settings then select "change display and hardware settings". Then via "tv display format" i select "widescreen" and ok it. This now means the v+box is outputting to tv via the scart lead and not the hdmi lead. I can now go through the decode process i described above and the dvd recorder can now record from the v+box. Its a load of messing for what used to be a simple task, considering you have to go through more rigmarole to return the v+box to output on the hdmi lead. Dont forget you may have to change the input of your tv as its being fed via scart when you have done the above (changing to widescreen) and not the hdmi lead.

If VM can sort you out let me know.

I will, i will call them on monday and see if there,s an easier method.

so how would I set this up. Would I have to disconnect the HDMI temporarily whilst I copy to DVD. Then reconnect HDMI when I am finished. Do you mean actually take out/unplug the HDMI?

I've been into the menu, changed to wide screen and all the other options. But nothing. NO output from box to DVD.

The bottom scart on box is connected via scart to DVD recorder.
So do I connect top scart on box to TV? and other scart on DVD recorder to TV?

No you don't have to disconnect your HDMI cable to copy to dvd. This should always work.

You do however have to change the display to a non HDMI setting to make use of the scarts for live tv.

I rang VM today and asked if there was an easier solution for recording on a dvd than the swopping v+box output route, the answer was no. I also asked did they know of any gadget i could buy something like a scart switcher, but they didnt know. The girl i spoke to said she would pass me over to a more knowledgable colleague, but when i got through it was just another agent who didnt know either. Oh well at least the call was free :rolleyes: .

No you don't have to disconnect your HDMI cable to copy to dvd. This should always work.

You do however have to change the display to a non HDMI setting to make use of the scarts for live tv.

I tried changing non HDMI setting but I couldn't pick up the V+ box channel on DVD recorder. Just got the AV logo and lots of humming with no picture.

I tried changing non HDMI setting but I couldn't pick up the V+ box channel on DVD recorder. Just got the AV logo and lots of humming with no picture.

Does your scart work for the TV? I assume it does a I needed to use scart to setup before I could select HDMI. Use this again and disconnect your hdmi until you get the scarts working.

Also try this cable in your DVD recorder & try the bottom scart in your tv. Do either work?

Is your dvd connected to the tv via another scart? If so try swapping this with the other. I made a different connection when I first reconnected and got my scarts mixed up which changed my inputs as my tv was providing and input. Sounds daft but it's worth checking.

The HDMI giving no scart output is a real pain for me.
I have a Slingbox connected to the scart, and I have to remember to change the settings from HDMI output to SCART before I think I might need to use the Slingbox!

It's a terrible solution just disabling the scart. (The VCR scart does not supply any V+ Menus, so using that is not an option! :()

Does your scart work for the TV? I assume it does a I needed to use scart to setup before I could select HDMI. Use this again and disconnect your hdmi until you get the scarts working.

Also try this cable in your DVD recorder & try the bottom scart in your tv. Do either work?

Is your dvd connected to the tv via another scart? If so try swapping this with the other. I made a different connection when I first reconnected and got my scarts mixed up which changed my inputs as my tv was providing and input. Sounds daft but it's worth checking.

V+ box is connected to TV via HDMI.
I am getting no output from top scart on V+ box, (I have put the scart lead into the top scart socket which is marked TV.) I have tried disconnecting HDMI lead but nothing comes out of the scart lead.:mad:

I have selected in menu
home>8>4

TV display format - either 4:3 or widescreen, I have tried both.
TV autodetects V+ box - I have turned this on and off
I have also selected differnet AV channels on the TV but still nothing:lease:
I presume until I have a signal coming from the scart lead from V+ box there is no point in going any further.
I had to go to college when the engineer turned up to fit the box. He was supposed to arrive between 8-1pm. He turned up at 1.05pm. My husband said he connected box straight away with HDMI lead and not scart. But there was a scart lead in the back of the box, so could have been mistaken.
:lease: :lease:

V+ box is connected to TV via HDMI.
I am getting no output from top scart on V+ box, (I have put the scart lead into the top scart socket which is marked TV.) I have tried disconnecting HDMI lead but nothing comes out of the scart lead.:mad:

I have selected in menu
home>8>4

TV display format - either 4:3 or widescreen, I have tried both.
TV autodetects V+ box - I have turned this on and off
I have also selected differnet AV channels on the TV but still nothing:lease:
I presume until I have a signal coming from the scart lead from V+ box there is no point in going any further.
I had to go to college when the engineer turned up to fit the box. He was supposed to arrive between 8-1pm. He turned up at 1.05pm. My husband said he connected box straight away with HDMI lead and not scart. But there was a scart lead in the back of the box, so could have been mistaken.
:lease: :lease:

Most strange. :confused:

When I set my tv display format to 4:3, 4:3 letterbox or widescreen (auto detect scart is on) it ask to test the mode. If I say yes it flicks over to my Ext2(scart) connection on my tv. It then flicks back after a few seconds and asks if I want to keep the settings. Do you get this? Make sure you cycle the connections on your tv.

I assume that your scart lead is OK. Is this the one you used prior to the v+ box. Do you have another one to try?

If you dvd recorder is using scart to the tv try unplugging from the dvd and putting it into the top scart on the v+, This way you know the cable is ok and your tv is happy with this connection you know how it shows up on your tv.

My engineer did not setup HDMI I had to do this myself, the box defaulted to scart which is sensible as every tv can support this.

I hope it's easy to get at the back your tv stand as it can be quite fustrating otherwise, but sometimes this is the only way to identify what does and does not work. :)

Most strange. :confused:

When I set my tv display format to 4:3, 4:3 letterbox or widescreen (auto detect scart is on) it ask to test the mode. If I say yes it flicks over to my Ext2(scart) connection on my tv. It then flicks back after a few seconds and asks if I want to keep the settings. Do you get this? Make sure you cycle the connections on your tv.

I assume that your scart lead is OK. Is this the one you used prior to the v+ box. Do you have another one to try?

If you dvd recorder is using scart to the tv try unplugging from the dvd and putting it into the top scart on the v+, This way you know the cable is ok and your tv is happy with this connection you know how it shows up on your tv.

My engineer did not setup HDMI I had to do this myself, the box defaulted to scart which is sensible as every tv can support this.

I hope it's easy to get at the back your tv stand as it can be quite fustrating otherwise, but sometimes this is the only way to identify what does and does not work. :)

Yes it does ask me if I want to go into test mode, then I see absolutely nothing on my TV screen. I have tried flipping through the AV channels on the TV, the TV doesn't automatically switch channels. So I say no when it asks if I want to keep the settings. Then the box defaults backs to HDMI settings.
The scart lead is the one that VM engineer left, a flat one.
It's not that easy to get to the cables at the back of the set:mad: The scart cables I am using are the ones that I was using before the V+ box was installed. Everything was working fine prior to the V+ box.

I have now unplugged all scart connections to the V+ box. So I can start from scratch.
I have DVD recorder connected via scart direct to TV and that is working fine.
I just can't link the V+ and DVDR together:rolleyes:

Maybe I should start again

Tv is connected to V+ via HDMI
I have DVDR with 2 scart connectors available also component connection available.
I have DVD player with SS connected to TV with component cable. This is also connected to V+ with audio red/white leads. Come to think of it, I couldn't get a connection with DVD SS through scart , so that is why I use component.

All I wanna do is connect DVD R to V+ box so I can record to disc from V+ box.

:smashin: for the help so far. Maybe the box has a faulty scart connector:confused:
I did ask for a sliver box to match the rest of kit, but ended up with a black one. I was supposed to get this changed for a silver one the next day. Still waiting:boring:

I would try this, turn all your equipment off and disconnect everything from each other. Connect your v+box to the tv with a scart lead only, no other connections to it. Now power the tv and v+box up and see if you get a signal to the tv, (you may have to go into v+box settings and set things up from there). If you can recieve a picture you know now the v+box is out putting through its scart tv socket. You now may have more joy connecting your dvd player to the v+box via scart.

I would try this, turn all your equipment off and disconnect everything from each other. Connect your v+box to the tv with a scart lead only, no other connections to it. Now power the tv and v+box up and see if you get a signal to the tv, (you may have to go into v+box settings and set things up from there). If you can recieve a picture you know now the v+box is out putting through its scart tv socket. You now may have more joy connecting your dvd player to the v+box via scart.

I've done it:clap: :clap: I haven't changed any of the scart leads set up. I left everything as it was before because it just seemed right:)
Maybe it had something to do with switching the box on and off, not at the wall though.
The box definitely wasn't detecting the scart before:mad:
V+ to TV HDMI
V+ to TV (AV1) via scart

V+ bottom scart to scart on DVD R
DVD R to TV (AV2) via scart

I've tried a test recording. But the picture was a bit strange due to size:rolleyes:

I have done exactly the same as I did before. So it's NOT me being daft. It's the scart detection on the box:mad:
thanks for your help guys.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

Good stuff. :thumbsup:

It might be worth adding your experience to the idiots guide thread.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom