V+ Box Cost

pmerryman

Standard Member
I know Virgin have the V+ box for £75 at the moment. But do they still charge you the £10 a month, or has this been scrapped.

The reason I ask, is the father in law got the box for free, but has to pay £10 a month for it.

Thanks Paul

Badger0-0

The £75 replaces the tenner a month.
I'm fairly sure your FIL can pay the £75 to get rid of the sub.

Ernie_C

If your father-in-law has had the V+ since before June last year then he is renting it under the old Ts & Cs where you paid £10 or £15 per month for it.

As stated above, he can convert to the new pricing and pay zero per month ongoing. The charge for this is £100 (not £75 as stated above) but he may be able to negotiate and have this reduced. He should act now or he will continue to pay the £10 per month for V+ forever.

kraized

Novice Member
Are you able to do this if your on the VIP package?

markp

Novice Member
If your father-in-law has had the V+ since before June last year then he is renting it under the old Ts & Cs where you paid £10 or £15 per month for it.

As stated above, he can convert to the new pricing and pay zero per month ongoing. The charge for this is £100 (not £75 as stated above) but he may be able to negotiate and have this reduced. He should act now or he will continue to pay the £10 per month for V+ forever.
I may not have understood this correctly so I'd appreciate any advice, but this seems unfair. I got the V+ in February of last year and paid the £10/month option with no install fee. So I've paid over £100 already for the V+ box, should'nt I be able to convert to the no subscription rather than have to pay another £100?

Ernie_C

I may not have understood this correctly so I'd appreciate any advice, but this seems unfair. I got the V+ in February of last year and paid the £10/month option with no install fee. So I've paid over £100 already for the V+ box, should'nt I be able to convert to the no subscription rather than have to pay another £100?
Of course this feels unfair but this is the reality of things. Unless YOU ask Virgin Media to convert you to the new pricing structure for V+, you will continue to pay £10 per month for as long as you have the V+.

Your only option now is to speak to them and convert. Ask nicely, explaining your situation, and they MAY reduce or even waive the 'conversion charge' of £100.

The pricing changed on June 1. Having had the V+ almost from day one, I had paid a total of £215 up until then (£75 install and £10 per month for 14 months). I paid the £100 and converted. A total of £315.

Yes it is painful when the standard deal is £75 install and no monthly charge at present.

I have had the benefit of the box for all that time, however - it is always costly to be an early adopter of any technology. Fortunately, I didn't pay in excess of £1000 for an HDTV and I'll probably get one for under £300 when my current CRT TV breaks down eventually.

markp

Novice Member
Of course this feels unfair but this is the reality of things. Unless YOU ask Virgin Media to convert you to the new pricing structure for V+, you will continue to pay £10 per month for as long as you have the V+.

Your only option now is to speak to them and convert. Ask nicely, explaining your situation, and they MAY reduce or even waive the 'conversion charge' of £100.

The pricing changed on June 1. Having had the V+ almost from day one, I had paid a total of £215 up until then (£75 install and £10 per month for 14 months). I paid the £100 and converted. A total of £315.

Yes it is painful when the standard deal is £75 install and no monthly charge at present.

I have had the benefit of the box for all that time, however - it is always costly to be an early adopter of any technology. Fortunately, I didn't pay in excess of £1000 for an HDTV and I'll probably get one for under £300 when my current CRT TV breaks down eventually.
Thanks, I do consider myself fortunate in getting the V+ box early and enjoying its benefits for a longer period than newer customers, so I am prepared to offset that against what I can negotiate with VM when I call them.

sapper

Well.

I have been with Telewest's TV DRive from almost day one, when I had a installation in March 06 I think it was...

So I will call them this evening and see what they have to say

Thank you all for the updated information

Adrian

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I had the TVDrive from day one and felt the new pricing system was unfair on existing customers. I phoned Virgin late last year to discuss but they would not budge on this £100 to switch to the new pricing structure. I ended up inviting them to come collect the box :suicide:

TeamGers

Banned
I think i've been lucky with this one, i have two old stb's in rooms upstairs which are being replaced with two V+ boxes tomorrow, i'm in effect getting them for free..:D, as Virgin aren't charging me any installation charge and neither are they charging me for the boxes or charging me rental for them...:D the other box i have is in my main living room which is a V+ box and, yes, i do pay £10 per month for it as i've had it since before June last year, but all in all i think i've got a great deal here by getting the other two V+ boxes for free....:thumbsup:

tigershuffle

Novice Member
Check out the 'retentions rock' thread....:thumbsup:

go through retentions and ask them politely to help reduce your bill.........the first thing they will offer to do is take off the old pre June £15 or £10 V+ fee....
obviously they should just do this as a matter of course for everybody....but hey thats capitalism.;) ......
I didnt ask to leave was just honest about saying I felt I was paying over the odds compared to later adopters of the V+.
The only downside is you will start another 12month contract.......but hey if it saves 12x £15/10..... :rotfl:

exit75

I've noticed that these boxes on ebay tend to go quite high - and bidders often ask if the card is included - any ideas why? with limited functionality, what makes this box so in demand second hand?

I've noticed that these boxes on ebay tend to go quite high - and bidders often ask if the card is included - any ideas why? with limited functionality, what makes this box so in demand second hand?

whatever man made can be broken, having the card is like the key for your front door.

Ernie_C

How about this?
As you didn't attribute the quote you referenced to me:

"...convert to the new pricing and pay zero per month ongoing... "

I'll admit it was me.

I will also explain to you that it does not mean that the V+ is free.

You have missed the meaning of the word 'convert'. Conversion in the context of changing from 'old' V+ pricing to 'new' V+ pricing means that you have to pay some money - officially £100 (although I have said that there may be some in Customer Service that will do it for less).

If you have to pay something then it is NOT FREE.

My quote you used did not even support your claim that it was free!!!

Captain

Novice Member
Is the V+ box still rented when you pay the £100 to convert or is it your own?

Had mine replaced once due to box failure.

What if it breaks down?

What if you leave Vigin?

I have had mine 18 months now so I suppose I've paid £180.

littlebrooklyn

What if it breaks down?

What if you leave Vigin?

As far as I am aware you are paying the £100 for installation and then pay a monthly rental depending on what package you are on. So basically it is never yours, but the good side of that is that if it does break down they will repair or replace it. If you leave VM then I guess they will want the box back as they would the regualr VM box.

Lyn

Ernie_C

What if it breaks down?

What if you leave Vigin?

If you pay the conversion charge (£100 is the standard price, perhaps less if you speak nicely), your monthly rental for the V+ reduces by £10, i.e. you pay ZERO if you were previously paying £10 and £5 if you previously paid £15.

The box still belongs to Virgin Media and they will replace or fix it if it breaks down and will expect you to return it if you leave.

cluster1

Standard Member
can someone tell me if i order a v+ box to replace my current v box i will only have to pay £75 with no monthly £5 fee as was the case previously.I will only be getting the basic tv package as i do now.

Ernie_C

can someone tell me if i order a v+ box to replace my current v box i will only have to pay £75 with no monthly £5 fee as was the case previously.I will only be getting the basic tv package as i do now.
You still have to pay an extra £5 per month after paying the £75 'install' charge for V+ if you are on either M or L TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton