V+ Box as Modem?

Smudger1

Hi, I've had V+ for ages, but just got one of those Samsung LED tellies, which has an ethernet connection and limited internet access. Whilst reading the manual, they seemed to imply that a cable TV box can act as a modem. I was just wondering if this was possible and if anyone has it working as such? In my understanding, it should be possible, the signal going to the V+ box is the same as that going to the modem upstairs, there's an ethernet port on the box and the V+ box is acting as a sort of modem for telly signals.
It would be extremely handy for getting firmware updates to the telly and Blu-Ray player...

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi, I've had V+ for ages, but just got one of those Samsung LED tellies, which has an ethernet connection and limited internet access. Whilst reading the manual, they seemed to imply that a cable TV box can act as a modem. I was just wondering if this was possible and if anyone has it working as such? In my understanding, it should be possible, the signal going to the V+ box is the same as that going to the modem upstairs, there's an ethernet port on the box and the V+ box is acting as a sort of modem for telly signals.
It would be extremely handy for getting firmware updates to the telly and Blu-Ray player...

VM disable the ethernet interface and port on the V+ box.

Smudger1

Ah. Anyone know if they plan to unblock it? It would be quite handy, what with TVs and Blu-rays becoming more 'connected' these days...

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ah. Anyone know if they plan to unblock it? It would be quite handy, what with TVs and Blu-rays becoming more 'connected' these days...

No, they've no intention of doing so. VM now issue a standalone modem for use with their internet services. The modems are far more capable of handling the increased bandwidth services than those modems incorporated into the STBs.

Smudger1

Wireless it is then...

dante01

Distinguished Member
Wireless it is then...

You'd probably be better catered for with a wireless LAN anyway. If you simply used a direct connection to the internet via a modem, you'd not have access to other components on the LAN and only access to services on the net. May not be an issue with the devices you intend to connect right now, but may be of use in the future?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom