V+box Are these connections ok

Mr.Me

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have had a V+box for about a month and i have started having loads of problems with it. I think its a problem with the hdmi lead/connection but i would like someone to take a look and see if they can spot any problems with the below connections before i give virgin a call.

V+box is connected to tv via virgin supplied hdmi lead.

V+box scart socket marked vcr is connected to the in scart socket on my Liteon dvd recorder.

The dvd recorder connects to the tv via a scart lead.

The rf connection goes into a y-splitter, one output feeds the second cable box which is in a bedroom. The second output connects to the ant socket on the V+box

The to tv socket on the V+box is connected to the rf in on the dvd recorder and the rf out on the dvd recorder connects to the tv ant socket.

Is this the optimum way to connect.

Its the V+ box i have the problems with. The sound goes off, i dont mean for just a few seconds but goes off and stays off. It doesnt make any difference if i reboot or turn the V+ box of completly, no sound, unless i waggle the cables at the back. I have just had the sound go off now, ive done the cable waggling thing and also rebooted. I got the on screen message "powering up" only problem is its powered up to zilch no picture no sound. Ive had this before with it. Im just gonna try a bit more cable waggling and see if it shows any signs of life. I am right fed up with it, its just a right pain. So i would like to know if there,s anything untoward about the way i have connected things before i take my anger out on virgin.

I had a similar problem with me connecting the scart to the dvd recorder ,in the end i just left it out ,Just disconnect all the scarts from the dvd recorder,it worked for me .Ill have to have a go connecting my recorder up a different way.or they were just in wrong place in the first place.

GARY-M.
i may try disconecting the scart lead and see if that improves things, only problem is if i do that i wont be able to record any cable channels. I also wont be able to transfer stuff ive recorded from the V+box to the dvd.

pmerryman

I dont understand what you mean

How are you getting your sound for your HD?

I just have the hdmi lead from the V+box connected to the tv.

If you are having problems, my adice is to elimanite the possible glitch.

As such remove all connectiosn to the V+ box apart from the HDMI lead, and see if that works.

Also, if youhave an optical in on your AV amp, or either a spare of analogue left/right connections try those too.
if the sound works leave it for a few days,a nd then rebuild your connections.

Adrian

Change your HDMI cable and it will fix the problem :thumbsup:

I had the same problem as you and had to keep 'wiggling' the lead.
Got so mad with it , in the end got the engineer out.
Told him the problem, tried a new lead and worked a treat. Have since tried the 'OLD' lead on my new dvd player, and got no picture or sound, so was deffo the lead.
BUT, since then I have changed my V+ box connection to component as dont wanna go through that again :D

No worries pmerryman.

sapper, thanks for the tips.

Also, if youhave an optical in on your AV amp

I dont have any sort of amp though, its just a simple set up.

Fatfreedy, i definately think its something to do with the leads. I had it in mind as the hdmi lead being the number 1 culprit, but after loads of messing with the poxy V+box i cant make up my mind. The virgin cable feed to the V+box could be suspect to. Its hard to tell though because if a dodgy connection is the problem, i could be blaming one and its the other. The way im looking at it now percentage wise is 85% hdmi lead 15% cable lead. The V+box is behaving itself at the moment probably due to the threats i made to it yesterday :) . I know if it starts giving me anymore hassle im just giving virgin a call and they can sort it. There cant be anything wrong with the way ive connected things as im confident someone reading this post would have let me know.

No worries pmerryman.

sapper, thanks for the tips.

I dont have any sort of amp though, its just a simple set up.

Fatfreedy, i definately think its something to do with the leads. I had it in mind as the hdmi lead being the number 1 culprit, but after loads of messing with the poxy V+box i cant make up my mind. The virgin cable feed to the V+box could be suspect to. Its hard to tell though because if a dodgy connection is the problem, i could be blaming one and its the other. The way im looking at it now percentage wise is 85% hdmi lead 15% cable lead. The V+box is behaving itself at the moment probably due to the threats i made to it yesterday :) . I know if it starts giving me anymore hassle im just giving virgin a call and they can sort it. There cant be anything wrong with the way ive connected things as im confident someone reading this post would have let me know.

Everything you say is the sact same thing mine was doing, and yes mine 'behave' itself once in awhile.

Had the component plugged in for over a week now and not once have I dropped sound (which happened a lot) also noticed the picture does not break up anymore on recorded material, but that may be cause I had a cheap argos rf lead connected to it with some kinda power plug on the end :eek:
Dont ask, but safe to say the guy was not impressed :D .

Anyway I reckon its 99% the hd lead as it was with mine.
I was loathe to go to component as thought it would be not such a good picture, but the V+ box has a setting for component hi-def so set to that and I cant see any diff pq wish :thumbsup: .

Funny you even have the same dvd recorder as me, might have to ask you how to wire that up when I can be bothered to do it :)

Cheers Fatfreedy, ive got to reset things up tomorrow as ive found out on here i dont really need the rf-in and rf-out leads, So i will have to retune the dvd with it now having different connections. I will post here the setup i end up with for the dvd, so you can have them when you come to set up your dvd. Anyway back to the subject, i had one outage of the V+box today, so ive turned the hdmi lead round. The end that was in the V+box is now plugged into the tv. Ive done this to give it one last chance then its engineer time.

Whats happened here, I removed the rf leads from the V+box and just left the scart that connects it to the dvd and of course the hdmi to the tv. I retuned the dvd but it doesnt see the V+Box. I reverted to the way i had it connected originally (as in my first post) but still the dvd doesnt see the V+box. I tried another scart lead but it made no difference. I cant understand whats happened, this connection method was working. Anybody got any ideas what the problem is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom