v+ box 1080i/p

shooey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 42" PX80 TV and had previously got my V+ box set to 720 because of the blurry EPG problem. I just read in another forum that this is now fixed, so decided to try it and it is.

However, I noticed that I now get 1080*i* as opposed to 720*p*. I realise that nothing is broad cast in 1080p anyway, but does this mean that my TV is now deinterlacing instead of the V+ box?

To be honest, I can't see much difference yet, and don't properly understand all this, but just wondered which in theory would be the best setting?

Cheers

It'll be deinterlacing and scaling to 1024*768.
I'd expect the 720P setting to be better, but it doesn't matter, just stick with the one you prefer :smashin:

As far as im aware its always been 720P or 1080i, with 720P giving the sharper EPG.
Certainly since Aug 2007 when i first got my LCD.

It'll be deinterlacing and scaling to 1024*768.
I'd expect the 720P setting to be better, but it doesn't matter, just stick with the one you prefer :smashin:

Why scaling it to 1024*768?

Don't bother answering. I just checked the tv model specs :lesson: and I agree it will be down scaling it to the panel's native resolution for display. Stick with 720 for this one.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. I know my TV has a resolution of 1024x768 but a lot of people claim that whatever you feed it, it upscales it to 1080 then downscales it to the native resolution.

Regardless, I just wondered what people generally thought gave the picture. The menus still aren't quite as sharp on 1080i, but I think maybe the picture is a bit less pixelly on SD stuff than 720p. Still trying to make my mind up though.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. I know my TV has a resolution of 1024x768 but a lot of people claim that whatever you feed it, it upscales it to 1080 then downscales it to the native resolution.

Regardless, I just wondered what people generally thought gave the picture. The menus still aren't quite as sharp on 1080i, but I think maybe the picture is a bit less pixelly on SD stuff than 720p. Still trying to make my mind up though.

Cheers

My (pretty slack) memory tells me that the actual feed is 1080i.
If that's correct and you use the 1080i setting, the telly deinterlaces and scales to native res. The box does nothing.
If you use 720p, the box deinterlaces and scales down to 720. Then the telly scales again. Only this time not by much.

I guess it boils down to which can do the job better.
With my 1080p Panny, I see no difference whatsoever between the two.
Yes, the EPG maybe was slightly sharper at 720, but who cares?. The actual picture was identical via my eyes, whatever setting.

The same also applied with my Hitachi ALiS (1024) screen, which is inherently an interlaced screen.

As I said, just pick the one you fancy and don't worry about it :)

Fwiw, I use 1080i as it just sounds like that's what it ought to be set too :rotfl:

Hi,

Cheers

I have the 42PX60 - 2 years older than yours. I use 720p for V+ and 1080i for my HD DVD player. That's what looks best on my setup. Go figure!

As others have said chose which setting you think is best. That's ALL that matters. :thumbsup:

HTH

Interesting read......I've just had my V+ box installed, and my Samsung TV is 1080i, the engineer recommended 720 on the box for me and it looks fine :thumbsup:

Please what is EPG? is this anything to do with the info boxes on Virgin?
Sorry if I'm way off the mark!!!:confused:

EPG=Electronic Program Guide - just the stuff that tells you what's on on what channels, so yes - what you said.

I have the 42PX60 - 2 years older than yours. I use 720p for V+ and 1080i for my HD DVD player. That's what looks best on my setup. Go figure!

As others have said chose which setting you think is best. That's ALL that matters. :thumbsup:

HTH

I have the 42PX60 also, and like you, use 720p for the V+, and, until recently used 1080i from a DVD player.
Now I have players with can output 1080p, and use this setting.
Have you tried 1080p on your TV?

I have the 42PX60 also, and like you, use 720p for the V+, and, until recently used 1080i from a DVD player.
Now I have players with can output 1080p, and use this setting.
Have you tried 1080p on your TV?

I use the HD-E1 for DVD & HD DVD which is up to 1080i only. I also have an EP-30 which is 1080p but that's a backup (boxed in the loft) in case my E1 dies. The E1 is the better player for me.

I tried the E1 @ 720p and it looked horrible. I tried the Ep-30 @ 1080p and it looked identical to E1 @ 1080i.

BTW I take it you had your PX60 de-snaked? :D

Interesting read......I've just had my V+ box installed, and my Samsung TV is 1080i, the engineer recommended 720 on the box for me and it looks fine :thumbsup:

Please what is EPG? is this anything to do with the info boxes on Virgin?
Sorry if I'm way off the mark!!!:confused:

Ive just tried 1080i with my Samsung TV and while i can see no difference in picture quality the EPG is juddering slightly, causing git to look blurred.
Rock solid in 720P.
All my other devices are running at 1080i (PS3, PCH) and all their menus are also rock solid so i know its not my TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom