V+ Audio and upscaling questions

SonicStomp

Hi Guys,

I am expecting my new V+ box to arrive in a couple of weeks. I need some advice on connecting the audio to my AV receiver and speakers...

Does the V+ box have a optical or digital coax out?

Is it better to route the audio direct via optical/coax to my AV receiver or is it just as good to route audio via HDMI to my TV and then stick with my TV's optical out to my receiver? in other words - do I lose anything routing the audio through my TV?

If I route direct to my receiver via optical/coax from the V+ box, will I still get audio to my TV via HDMI (at the same time)??

Final question, slightly off-topic -- how good is the V+ box upscaling for SD? I hear it is good but how would it compare to an old V box connected via scart to my new Sony KDL40-5500? The TV upscales but not sure how good a job it does compared to the V+ box...

Thanks in advance

Help appreciated!

dante01

Distinguished Member
The V+ box has an optical out, but you can simply use the HDMI output if you've a suitable AV receiver. The HDMI interface is capable of handling the 5.1 channel audio required for the Dolby Digital broadcasts.

You must set 'HDMI audio override' to 'on' if you wish to stream DD 5.1 audio from the box to your receiver. This applies to both the optical and the HDMI output.

You need to directly connect to the AV receiver from the V+ box rather than passing the audio through the TV. A connection from your TV to the receiver will only be 2 channel stereo and not DD 5.1.

It obviously depends on the quality of the SD material being upscaled, but the V+ box does a very good job of upscaling. I prefer the 720p output, but the results you get may vary depending on your TV. The HDMI connection is superior to RGB SCART.

Last edited:

SonicStomp

Thanks.

Unfortunately, my Sony AV receiver is pre-HDMI.

If I connect via optical to my receiver and HDMI to TV, can I still get audio to my TV via HDMI (ie at the same time as optical out to receiver)??

The Missus would appreciate being able to watch TV just using the TV without having to fiddle with the amp

StuartJB

I've currently got an old Sony amp, and yes you can do it. You just need to set the HDMI Audio Output as the previous post says.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If I connect via optical to my receiver and HDMI to TV, can I still get audio to my TV via HDMI (ie at the same time as optical out to receiver)??

Yes, but only 2 channel stereo. When viewing HD content with Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded audio, no audio will be reproduced via the TV. This is due to the 'HDMI audio override' sending multichannel 5.1 encoded audio when present and your TV not having the ability to decoded it. While audio will be present and audible via your TV when viewing content encoded with 2 channel stereo, no audio will be reproduced by your TV if what you are viewing is encoded with DD 5.1 audio. You'd need to use the external AV amp to hear anything encoded with DD 5.1 when 'HDMI audio override' is switched 'on'.

Last edited:
so.... i currently have my av sytem set up with optical from virgin box to a splitter then from splitter 2 branches 1 to cable box and one to theatre system i was always under the impression optical was better ? is this not the case would i be better using a hdmi spitter from the theatre system then a seprate hdmi lead one to ps3 and one to cable box ? would be great to know :thumbsup:

dante01

Distinguished Member
so.... i currently have my av sytem set up with optical from virgin box to a splitter then from splitter 2 branches 1 to cable box and one to theatre system i was always under the impression optical was better ? is this not the case would i be better using a hdmi spitter from the theatre system then a seprate hdmi lead one to ps3 and one to cable box ? would be great to know :thumbsup:

In this instance, with the V+ and DD 5.1 audio, the audio quality would be the same as if using a HDMI cable.

When dealing with the new Blu-ray HD audio formats, you must use HDMI because optical and coax cannot handle the additional bandwidth that is required. This wouldn't apply to the V+ box because the HD audio formats aren't used.

Generally, there is no difference in audio quality when using HDMI, optical or digital coax.

The advantage gained with HDMI is that is can carry both digital audio and video at the same time, eliminating the need for more than one cable. It is also the only cable currently being used for Blu-ray HD audio because of its abilities to carry higher bandwidth signals and 8 channel audio streams.

With the PS3 you are better off using HDMI directly between it and a suitable AV amp because the PS3 can decode the HD audio present on some Blu-ray discs and you can only access this audio if you stream it to an AV receiver with the suitable type of HDMI interface (a repeater capable of handling HDMI audio and multichannel LPCM). For more info, see here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...06-attempt-explain-high-definition-audio.html

Last edited:

SonicStomp

Ok - just setup the V+ box...

Some observations -

With TV connected via HDMI, and optical out of the box to my AV amp I am getting terrible lip-syncing issues :mad:

I have tried just connecting to my TV via HDMI and then connecting my TV optical out to my amp and hey presto! It works - I am getting DD5.1 at my amp...it would appear that my TV is acting as a go-between for the DD signal.:) This is not as I expected...I was only expecting 2 ch stereo as a consequence of going through the TV.

The other thing is that I am getting sound through the tv at the same time...(even on HD channels)...

mike7

Distinguished Member
If you are getting TV sound as well when watching a BBC HD programme with Dolby Digital sound you need to go into the V+ sound menu and switch the HDMI over ride selection. If you have not done this you are probably only getting stereo or Dolby surround variations depending on your amp. Remember not all programmes have full 5.1 channel sound. When connected correctly your amp should automatically detect Dolby Digital and switch accordingly.

To check that things are working correctly watch the indicator on your amp during programme changes. The ' BBC HD' plugs such as the children fishing have Dolby Digital sound. When non-Dolby programmes come on the Dolby 'detector' in your amp will recognise the fact and switch back to stereo or a psuedo-4 channel mode.

I agree that when running both sound from the Tv and the Amp it appears there is a sound difference. However when the Tv sound is off I have never detected enough of sync problem to want to correct it by changing amp settings.

Last edited:

SonicStomp

If you are getting TV sound as well when watching a BBC HD programme with Dolby Digital sound you need to go into the V+ sound menu and switch the HDMI over ride selection. If you have not done this you are probably only getting stereo or Dolby surround variations depending on your amp. Remember not all programmes have full 5.1 channel sound. When connected correctly your amp should automatically detect Dolby Digital and switch accordingly.

To check that things are working correctly watch the indicator on your amp during programme changes. The ' BBC HD' plugs such as the children fishing have Dolby Digital sound. When non-Dolby programmes come on the Dolby 'detector' in your amp will recognise the fact and switch back to stereo or a psuedo-4 channel mode.

I agree that when running both sound from the Tv and the Amp it appears there is a sound difference. However when the Tv sound is off I have never detected enough of sync problem to want to correct it by changing amp settings.
Mike

Thanks very much..

Actually I have override ON and I am getting Amp switching in the way you suggest, so I am reasonably content that there is no difference between routing optical out on the V+ box to my AV receiver vice HDMI to TV then TV optical out to AV...the only difference is the presence of a significant lip-syncing problem when I route direct to my Amp.

In short my TV appears to be passing on the DD5.1 signal to my amp without any problems....This is strange as I didn't think the TV would act as a conduit for anything other than stereo....

Incidentally, at the same time - I am getting stereo sound out of the TV (albeit at reduced volume) despite the override ON.....

All bizarre but actually suits me well....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom