V+ and RF Passthrough

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by DavidT, May 2, 2007.

1. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I am about to chase Virgin about my order for a V+ upgrade (order placed on 16th Feb) but before I do can anyone confirm whether or not the RF passthrough works on the V+ STB. I need it because all my other TV's get their terrestrial channels from VM, I do not have an external aerial.

Thanks

David

2. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I would just explain to the engineer that it's imperative you keep an RF passthrough. I would also make sure the RF loopthrough connects directly from the incoming cable to your distribution amp/splitter - rather than passing through the V+ first. The reason for that being that the RF-out is disabled on the V+ when HDMI is in use (Not a problem if you're not planning on using an HDTV). Hope that makes sense :)

3. karl.g

karl.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an RF loopthough on the back of a Samsung box. The engineer offered to fit it at the time so I could still pick up teletext on analogue. Should this connection be able to supply my freeview tuner? I scanned but it saw nothing.

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    No. Only the 5 analogue channels are available.

5. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Guys can you clear up this rf passthrough thing for me please.

On my sumsung box in my old house there was a wee box attached to the back of the stb that had a rf cable going to the rf in on the stb then a rf cable going out to the tv.

Is this the same with the V+ or does it only require a rf cable from the v+ to the tv?
    I.e. is the rf loopthrough now inside the v+ box?

HDMI isn't a concern yet.

6. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    AFAIK there is no (analog) passthrough built into the V+ ...

You'll have to ask the engineer to install it seperately. From your post, it sounds like this might be what you had before. Some people have had better luck than others getting the engineers to fit them. This thread may help clear things up a bit. Worst comes to worst, it's easy enough to fit your own :)

What is your concern exactly? Are you trying to distribute cable TV to other rooms or something?

Woohoo, 100th post! What do I win? :D

7. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah we want to supply signal to other tv's in the house.

I'm confused cause i called the the tech support and the guy told me I didn't need loopthrough, only had to use an rf out cable from the v+ to the back of my telly. He also said the rf in on the back of the v+ would only be used for external rf source, like a rooftop ariel????

8. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    This is partly correct, but bear in mind that every TV will only be able to watch one channel - the channel that is currently selected on the V+. AFAIK, they will not be able to pick-up & independently control the 5 analog channels this way.

This is correct. If you have a rooftop aerial, connect it to the RF input on the V+. The V+ then 'combines' the 5 analog channels with its output. So now, when you tune-in one of your TVs - instead of just getting whichever channel the V+ is set to, you'll get this, plus the 5 analog channels, making 6 in total: BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4, Five and V+ :)

Each TV will have independent control of the 5 analog channels :thumbsup: (You'll need a remote extender kit if you want to control the V+ from other rooms. Obviously this would not be independent - i.e. whichever channel's selected on the V+, everyone gets the same).

If you don't have a rooftop aerial, fitting your own analog passthrough off the incoming cable would be the easiest/cheapest option. You could then feed it into the RF input on the V+ and the same setup as I posted above would be achieved.

Hope that clears things up a bit :)

9. Will 44

Will 44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Each TV will have independent control of the 5 analog channels :thumbsup: (You'll need a remote extender kit if you want to control the V+ from other rooms. Obviously this would not be independent - i.e. whichever channel's selected on the V+, everyone gets the same).

What remote extender kits are there that works with the v+ box? Cheers.

10. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
  11. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok, thanks, looks like i'll have to make my own passthrough has i don't have an ariel. Never done that before.

Dumb question...but how?

12. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Not a dumb question at all. Simply unplug the incoming cable from the back of the V+ (The connection is threaded so you'll need to unwind it anti-clockwise). Then reconnect the incoming cable to the input of an F Splitter. You now have two outputs from the splitter, one for your V+, and a seperate one for your 5 analog channels :thumbsup:. To connect the splitter to the "Cable In" again on your V+, you just need a standard F Plug lead. To connect the splitter to the "Antenna In" on the V+, you need a F plug to Coax Plug lead. And that's it :)

Just to add a couple of things. If there's already a splitter on the incoming cable, e.g. VM fitted one on mine to split for TV & broadband. Then just buy a 3-way splitter instead of a 2-way, and swap it for the existing one. Finally, if you later decide to go HiDef, you'll need to unplug your analog signal from the "Antenna In" on the V+ and connect it directly to your distribution amp - as the RF output on the V+ is disabled when set to HiDef (I'm sure you're probably aware of this, but thought I'd add it just incase).

Hope that makes some sense! Night all :hiya:

13. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Many thanks, i'm pretty sure i can manage that :)

14. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I dont get this - where is the signal for the 5 analogue channels coming from? If I've got it right you are saying that these are tunable using the on board tuners of the TV's in the other rooms??

15. lucas4ce

lucas4ce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The cable (virgin media cable, cable) carries free to air terrestial channels along with the subscribed VM signal. So if you plug the VM cable into the back of a tv it'll tune into BBC ITV etc just like a roof aerial.

I think this is the case until analogue tv gets switched off.

16. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK this is only on "community" distribution systems such as in parts of Milton Keynes where roof aerials were banned and it enabled people to be able to get a TV signal without having to subscribe to the cable company, but of course by subscribing and geting a box they could watch more

I am pretty certain that is not the case round here

17. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It is the case where I live and for everyone else I know that are on Virgin cable. The terrestrial channels are all piped down Virgins cable and can be tuned it on all analogue TV's. I have this in my house.

David

18. lucas4ce

lucas4ce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think it's everywhere, part of a legal requirement for broadcasters, similar to freesat through sky dishes.

19. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said I think you are right when the distribution system was installed as part of the house and development. I have never heard of anyone round here receiving analogue this way. Cable to my house was only installed when I signed up with NTL., some 8 years ago.

Anyway am always willing to learn and will give it a try - what UHF channels are the analogue signals on?

20. Analogue

Analogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK you live and learn! My apologies 6 analogue channels received via cable direct to TV. (2 ITV regions). Picture a bit grainy compared to my Aerial (except C5)

They dont tell you about it round here - phoned 2 videphile friends with cable and they had no idea either!

21. lucas4ce

lucas4ce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Think it depends where you are and what other forms of interference are on the cable for the picture and channels you can get.

A few years ago when I was still on analogue cable I could get 1,2,3,4,5,itv2,bravo,mtv even! and some german channels.

22. Andy^uk

Andy^uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes u can use the VM input as an areial and get the 5/6 analouge channels but they will not set it up for u and they will not maintain it either (eg the cables going to the other tvs)

23. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok, thanks all. Visted maplins this weekend and nwo have channels 1-5 on my tv. Was easier than I thought to unplug and put in the new splitter.

I'm happy now :)

24. m.stephens

m.stephens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I currently get BBC1,2,ITV1,C4,C5 + BBC News 24 and QVC. Before the great bust-up I also had Sky 1, Sky News, Sky Sports News (I think) and Challenge and something else rubbish - the last 2 seem to have disappeared along with Sky for some reason. I also have several encrypted and thus unwatchable channels including MTV (which is listenable though not watchable). Some of the above are outside the normal channels 21-69 so you have to go looking for them.

Possibly of more interest is that the cable also carries a fair selection of stereo FM radio stations in the normal 88-108 Mhz band so it is worthwhile plugging the coax into your stereo as well.

25. lucas4ce

lucas4ce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Good call on the radio I didn't think of that!

That'll save me turning my tv on to listen to radio, feels wrong!

26. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You will find that the radio station frequencies are not the same as normal (not on mine anyway). For example Chiltern Radio is usually on 97.6 but on cable it is 97.0 for some reason.

David